Special Ops: Lioness

kroenen

Regimen Morum
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Special Ops: Lioness

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2023-07-23

Creator: Taylor Sheridan

Cast: Laysla De Oliveira, Zoe Saldaña, Nicole Kidman, Dave Annable, Jill Wagner, LaMonica Garrett, James Jordan, Austin Hébert, Hannah Love Lanier, Stephanie Nur, Jonah Wharton, Morgan Freeman

Overview: Cruz Manuelos, a rough-around-the-edges but passionate young Marine, is recruited to join the CIA’s Lioness Engagement Team to help bring down a terrorist organization from within. Joe, the station chief of the Lioness program, is tasked with training, managing and leading her female undercover operatives.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
15 minutes in. Not bad so far. I like Zoe anyways. Then I come here and see it's Taylor Sheridan. Episodic Mary Sue?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
God damn this dude pumps out more shows than Ron Jeremy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I went through 3 episodes last night. I do like it so far.

The female empowerment stuff is very front and center, but it's really not bugging me much in this one. You'll have to suspend disbelief with some of the physical stuff. They're not obnoxious with the girl power stuff so far.

The team leader is a butch lesbian, but I like her. Zoe is a cold ass spook, but not over the top. I don't know what the fuck Nicole Kidman is, but also not over the top so far. The main girl has a decent backstory that explains why she is the way she is and that's fine too....but she beats the shit out of everyone in eye-roll ways.

I have a serious gag reflex to most of the rah rah girl power shit that comes out now, but this one isn't bugging me despite "strong women" being in every leadership role. Take that as you will.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Also, Taylor Sheridan is the new Joss Whedon. Women are to be worshipped in all his shows. 10 years from now, we'll probably find out he's a rapist/serial killer or something.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Watched this back when it was weekly. It is fairly forgettable but it was ok. I made it to the end.
Even with the lesbian shit later on and pussy pussy power

Fadaar

That guy
Also, Taylor Sheridan is the new Joss Whedon. Women are to be worshipped in all his shows. 10 years from now, we'll probably find out he's a rapist/serial killer or something.

which is funny because his first outing as a writer (Sicario) was COMPLETELY the opposite and Hell or High Water (imo his best work) didn't even have any women characters that had prominent time in the movie at all

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
which is funny because his first outing as a writer (Sicario) was COMPLETELY the opposite and Hell or High Water (imo his best work) didn't even have any women characters that had prominent time in the movie at all
Sicario didn't? What? Emily Blunt was the main character. Her character in Sicario is actually my favorite example of "strong woman" characters. Mild mannered and a capable badass, but with an obvious handicap when it comes to hand to hand violence.

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood your post.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Sicario didn't? What? Emily Blunt was the main character. Her character in Sicario is actually my favorite example of "strong woman" characters. Mild mannered and a capable badass, but with an obvious handicap when it comes to hand to hand violence.

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Yeah I meant that as she was a very well written character who made mistakes and, most importantly, was NOT able to overpower her male counterparts and was very clearly out of her league compared to the special forces badasses she worked with.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really like Wind River too. Solid female character there too that's definitely not a Mary Sue.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The show is very well executed and very high production value, it is entertaining.

It's also completely obvious girl-power nonsense being peddled to us as tough action flick (just like Yellowstone and its progeny). We watch it because we like the outdoors and tough ranch guys and they spend their time showing us boss bitch Beth and retarded indian storyline.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
^^ True.
Again, this show didn't really bug me much and I tend to be a sensitive Sally with woke shit. It was entertaining, but pretty forgettable immediately after watching it, and the ending wasn't particularly satisfying. Taylor Sheridan definitely has a general arc and protagonist/co-protagonists in all his shows and this fits the bill.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database