Sports Rituals

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I wanna hear some of your sports related rituals. The weirder the better. I'll start off by telling my dumbest one. I don't do this anymore, but it started back in the 90's. I had to take a drink every other play or the Cowboys would start having bad plays. As you can imagine, it worked well for a few years, but the spell was broken in the late 90's. When I see those commercials about stupid rituals, I think back to that time in my life and laugh.

A couple of my more tame rituals are that I cannot record a game or watch a game that's been paused for a long time (my cousin once paused the game for like an hour for thanksgiving dinner, and I still haven't forgiven him). When I can, I watch the game on TV and listen to it on the radio because I like the homer announcers on the radio. I gotta buy a new 'game day' hat every year, and wear it with one of my jerseys during the game, even if I can't watch for some reason.

Remember, it's only weird if it doesn't work.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Every year I pay around 15k for our various Oilers season tickets, and every year, they miss the playoffs. I could do without this ritual.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I plan on getting my son a Mizzou jersey with his age on it every football season. So far it's resulted in two SEC East titles, so I have to keep up the tradition now and find a #2 jersey in a toddler size for this fall.

rrr_img_104906.jpg

Szlia

I was like "this is retarded!" and then I remembered that I used to say "Radiateur ?lectrique" (electric heater) in an attempt to make tennis players lose their focus on key points. While watching TV of course. Why electric heater you ask? I have no idea. I guess the random nature of it was supposed to make it super effective or something... Not very fair play to hope for people to miss too.

If the player I am rooting for has to do a 2nd serve return on a key point, I still often ask him out loud to put the return in play, but that's not really odd; coaching from the couch is par for the course for anyone who watches sports.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Ha ha thanks bro. Now I don't feel so dumb about taking a drink every other play for nearly a decade.

I thought of another one. When shit gets real in the 4th quarter, I have to grab a football and start fidgeting with it while I pace around. But i gotta be careful, because if I drop it it means my team is going to turn it over. At least, that happened a couple times and now I remember it. If I don't get up and start pacing, we have no chance of winning.

Oh and one more. I can make a kicker miss a high pressure field goal. I get up to the TV and get in his head.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was like "this is retarded!" and then I remembered that I used to say "Radiateur ?lectrique" (electric heater) in an attempt to make tennis players lose their focus on key points. While watching TV of course. Why electric heater you ask? I have no idea. I guess the random nature of it was supposed to make it super effective or something... Not very fair play to hope for people to miss too.

If the player I am rooting for has to do a 2nd serve return on a key point, I still often ask him out loud to put the return in play, but that's not really odd; coaching from the couch is par for the course for anyone who watches sports.
We say "Jinx shamalama! Jinx shamalama!" when we want the opposing team to fuck up.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If I want a kicker to make the field goal, I start chanting miss it noonan miss

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Every time I go to a Angels game with the wife, they win. Our record this year is 19-0. Every time I go with someone else, they lose. Every. Time.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Whenever I'm watching a Chiefs game and they show the opposing teams coach I say, "Fuck you, Marv Levy!" Seems to work.

• 1Solidarity

Djay

Trakanon Raider
When I was younger I would always wear the same jersey, sit in the same spot...probably even ordered the same pizza. Now it's just more that if things are going well for my team, I try not to change anything for fear of changing the quantum state.
That and when things are close, I tell myself that there are infinite parallel dimensions and that I'm pushing myself into the one where the outcome I want to happen is my reality.

You know...the usual.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've got an Arsenal shirt signed by every player in the team from the 2003/04 season. I first wore it during the CL final in 2006, which Arsenal promptly lost. Now its almost a reverse jinx thing to wear (shouldn't have taken it out of the frame to begin with) because the players names are almost completely worn off now.... looks like silver scribbles all over it. My brother bought me last years Arsenal jersey with the teams sigs, but its not the same (mostly as that team pales in comparison to the 03/04 team).

Sports are weird

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I already mentioned I get a new game day hat every year. Last couple years I've been getting 2 hats because I kept forgetting the hat when I'd go to my 1 game a year at the stadium, and have to buy another. This year I got 2 at the start of the season because there were 2 I really wanted. The camouflage hat wasn't really meant to be a game day hat, but when they arrived, I liked how it looked so much that I wore it for game 1. We lost that first game, so the next game I wore the other one and we won. I was a little worried the hat might be jinxed, but tried not to think about it. I decided I'd pull it out again in november for the salute to service month.

In october I took a weekend trip and decided to wear that hat around. The trip didn't go great. Nothing huge went wrong, but little shit kept going wrong, and only while I was wearing the hat. The only example I can remember is when I stopped at a convenience store to buy peanuts and they were bad. I've never had bad peanuts before. I didn't even fucking know peanuts could go bad. I was getting concerned about this hat that I liked so much.

I decided to break whatever curse it had on it by wearing it during sex. When I'm gone for a weekend, it's gauranteed I'll either get sex or head when I get home. So I put on the hat while the wife and I were catching up and making out. Then suddenly she gets up and goes "I'm tired, I'm going to sleep". I'm like "whoa, WTF, promises were made! Get back here" I take the hat off and she lays back down on me and we make out some more. I put the hat back on and she gets up again and goes "No really, I'm going to bed now I'm tired". So I tell her about how I was trying to break the jinx on the hat and she was nonplussed. No gauranteed coming home sex for ole hoss tonight. I cut the hat up immediately and threw it away. The good news is I ordered another one and wore it last week and we still won. So it was the hat itself that was jinxed, not the style. The wife also blew me while I was wearing the new one to insure there was nothing but good vibes on it.

• 1Like

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Unwashed Brady throwback jersey, adjust my eyebrows with my fingers, rub my hands together really fast like I'm starting a fire, friends who see the Pats lose at my house are never invited back on a Sunday, don't watch games at bars, stand up and pound my chest on big third downs or field goals or anything, don't check rerolled during Pats game.

That's probably half of my insane ticks, but I feel completely normal about it.

In college I ate the same thing everyday when the Sox were coming back on the Yankees.

• 1Cutler
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was getting a sleep apnea test done during Game 7 of the World Series, so I guess I have to do that every time now.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Devin Hester had a ritual where he would touch his toes, thighs and then raise his hands and shake them before a kick return. I'll occasionally do that when I feel like we need a big special teams play and I feel like a retard.

• 1Like

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Let me preface I was 12 at the time....93-94 NBA season. Game 7 NBA Finals. Rockets vs Knicks. My cousin and I had a stack of basketball cards of Knicks players from various companies (skybox, hoops, upper deck, etc).

Throughout the game we would systematically take these cards and cut them up with scissors as a sacrifice to the Unholy Basketball Gods. We would like to target specific body parts vice cutting indiscriminately. For example we would cut off Patrick Ewing's face particularly the throat. Why? Cause we all knew he was a big choker. For John Starks I targeted his knees while my cousin targeting his shooting hand. We all remember the 2 for 18 night he had. I take full credit for the voodoo hex. He took delight in destroying Derek Harper cards. Some reason he fucking hated Harper. We avoid Anthony Mason. We both agreed to not touch The Mase because we were sure he would find out and that's one motherfucker you don't mess with.

• 1Like

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Let me preface I was 12 at the time....93-94 NBA season. Game 7 NBA Finals. Rockets vs Knicks. My cousin and I had a stack of basketball cards of Knicks players from various companies (skybox, hoops, upper deck, etc).

Throughout the game we would systematically take these cards and cut them up with scissors as a sacrifice to the Unholy Basketball Gods. We would like to target specific body parts vice cutting indiscriminately. For example we would cut off Patrick Ewing's face particularly the throat. Why? Cause we all knew he was a big choker. For John Starks I targeted his knees while my cousin targeting his shooting hand. We all remember the 2 for 18 night he had. I take full credit for the voodoo hex. He took delight in destroying Derek Harper cards. Some reason he fucking hated Harper. We avoid Anthony Mason. We both agreed to not touch The Mase because we were sure he would find out and that's one motherfucker you don't mess with.

Oakley was still on that team right? I would assumed you wouldn't have touched that guy either.