Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
That sums up the way I think of it as well. Makes me wonder how ticked off what's his name, Robb Stark dude, musta felt when he first heard the grisly news haha.

Actors usually have their preconceived notions about their roles. Often their input is a boon and sometimes it isn't, which is a healthy part of any collaborative process.

Well, couldn't have been a surprise for the Game of Thrones guy.

A, it's Game of Thrones.

B, the Red Wedding was written in the book and available for people to read before the first episode of Season 1 of the TV series was ever filmed (or the guy was even cast; presumably you'd at least get cliff notes on the character you're supposed to play, even if you're not inclined to read the books). If I remember the TV thing right, they didn't even go all the way, sowing the wolf's head to his body and all that. [edit] Storm of Swords was published in August 2000. At that time, the actor, Richard Madden, was 14 years old.

And as Mark Hamill goes, in the interview, he clearly said he disagreed upon hearing where Luke was going, made his concerns heard, but then still gave it his best to make sure the director's vision was realised.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Whenever he found out, whether that was 20 years later or during the first meeting. I skimmed that Rolling Stones article back in 2013. The head was sewn too.

That little interview with Hamill is one among many these guys have to do day in, day out. I think he's an honest and professional dude. He's earned it.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's just a promotional shot for the new Battlefront game but it looks like they've mixed in a few samurai touches with her old Jaaku rags.

tumblr_opgmn1f64_Y1rxqvyio1_1280.jpg

Royal

'The Last Jedi' Director Asked For a Big Change to 'The Force Awakens' Ending

The article focuses on BB-8 being changed out for R2 (which should have been a no-brainer JJ) but had a more interesting extra concerning Luke thrown in:

“Figuring out where his head was at was the very first thing I had to do when writing the movie. I had to crack this. And it had to be something for me that first and foremost made sense. Why did Luke Skywalker go off to this island?” Johnson says. “That was the starting point, and that’s what the entire movie explores.”

But … why did Luke run? Shouldn’t he have stayed to fight, to make this atrocity right? Does fleeing make him a coward?

“I didn’t want it to,” Johnson says. “There has to be a good reason that makes sense to him — and to some degree makes sense to us.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
  • 1Like

Royal

Well R2 was with Luke when his school was destroyed and shut down when Luke disappeared so they've established that relationship for this time period. And R2 has a long history of sidekicking with the jedi Skywalkers. Probably more than with 3PO even.

Besides BB-8 is supposed to be Poe's mech and according to some of the leaks out there ...

... he sends BB-8 with Finn to help him on a mission which if true may be the point of the swap and not reuniting R2 with Luke since Finn has a bit of an established relationship with the little guy from TFA.

Last edited:

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Artoo waking up and being there to receive Luke makes perfect sense but I dunno, I could sort of see a reason for passing the torch to BB-8 plotwise, if only to avoid teh poetry. Interesting to learn the inner workings you would otherwise never know. I skipped to the ending of TFA a minute ago and R2's little legs movin'... yeah, it was the right choice.

• 1Like

Royal

A shot from the teaser that was particularly dark with the lighting cranked up:

132.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
God that ginger lol. Too much baby face.

Really? That is the best he has ever looked to me, but to each his own...

I thought in TFA he looked like shit, frail and weak, and was terrible casting. He looks far more Imperial there with an extremely strong healthy high-cheekboned facial structure which is probably accented by his hairstyle there.

Or its just photoshopped.

My criticism there would be mostly centered around Christie's armor, which is childish and too flagrantly designed to sell toys AND more importantly, flamboyantly draw attention to the fact that she is a woman stormtrooper. Like whoop whoop red alert look at me, I'm a female stormtrooper. Ugh...

Lastly, Darth bitch looks fine once you have sort of accepted the fact he is there to get beat up on by Miss Mary, and that the Sith? and Empire? in general in the sequels are not nearly as strong as they were in A New Hope for plot reasons. Once you get over this, its a lot easier to enjoy the movies as is. Although I do wish JJ had went ahead and instilled that George Lucas vibe of an uncanny unstoppable behemoth, I realize these are much lighter movies than the OT.

I feel there is some creative deprivation there in the direction by JJ. They have this StarKiller base allegedly, but its just completely unbelievable. They just didn't do a good job of building up the bad guys in this one. I was listening to Luke's suggestions for big emotional moments, and I really think JJ should have listened on this one. We'll see what Rian has.

Last edited:

Royal

My criticism there would be mostly centered around Christie's armor, which is childish and too flagrantly designed to sell toys AND more importantly, flamboyantly draw attention to the fact that she is a woman stormtrooper. Like whoop whoop red alert look at me, I'm a female stormtrooper. Ugh...

Well remember they "cast" the armor before they ever cast Christie to wear it. The silver trooper armor was originally supposed to be for Vader 2.0 (Kylo Ren) but they later opted to go with a darker motif more reminiscent of the original issue. But they liked the look of the silver armor so much they decided to create a character to show it off anyway.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
intrigued by the nickname "DJ" for Del Toro's character, and that its not a throwaway. As usual, another great article by VF for Star Wars.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Its over 50% more effective than a normal suit of stormtrooper armor though. Which is to say, zero percent effectiveness.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users