Star Wars Rebels

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
We'll see, I haven't seen Filoni or Pablo comment on it beyond a vague "it would be awesome to see the Scariff battle from the Ghost crew's perspective" but I would love a 4th season and I think the series absolutely needs it to close things up right, and to close that gap between now and the start of ANH

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Well there's been several statements made in the past by the showrunners and cast that the original plan was for 6 seasons with the possibility of up to 8 but none of those are particularly recent. Filoni did mention in an interview yesterday that we will probably see Sabine again but based on the mid-season trailer ...

... we know the Mandos will show up at least one more time (you can see one fly behind Ezra when he's in his space suit) so seeing Sabine again this season is pretty much a given and that's probably what he was talking about.

I think they're playing coy with it at the moment because the series continuing beyond season 4 is more in doubt or maybe even internally they already know that it will be the last season and they want to announce the new series at the same time that they reveal when Rebels will end, perhaps at Celebration.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
You almost need another season. We need the Battle of Lothal to finish very badly, and giving Thrawn a victory not only builds his character more, but sets up Rogue One even better. It would explain why the Rebel leaders are so afraid of helping Jyn... because they just got their asses kicked on Lothal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dunno why it took me so long to get around to watching S3 considering how much I enjoyed S1-2. Show remains excellent, although I really didn't like the Saw cameo, and not because I didn't like Rogue One, but because the more prominent the cast of Rebels gets, the more ridiculous it gets for them to have never shown up in the events of the movies. Which means they'll either have to kill them all off (unlikely), come up with some contrived reason as to why they happened to be busy on another assignment for the three most important battles of the rebellion, or just leave it hanging when they end the series.

Also maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really would have preferred the Ezra's temptation to the dark side to be a subplot for a couple episodes, rather than being introduced and resolved all in the season premier. Don't have to keep it as an ongoing plot for the entire season, but wrapping it up in the first episode completely undercuts the significance of him using it and how dangerous holocrons are supposed to be in the first place.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I don't think Ezra is done with that arc. Especially with the Maul stuff still to come.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
And Saw was by far the weakest part of s3. Only joy I got came afterwards when I read the Vader Comic and what he does on Geonosis.

Royal

Which means they'll either have to kill them all off (unlikely), come up with some contrived reason as to why they happened to be busy on another assignment for the three most important battles of the rebellion, or just leave it hanging when they end the series.

I guess you're talking about the battles of Yavin, Hoth, and Endor.

Of those only Endor is one in which it could be said that the various, far flung Rebel cells would have massed to engage the Empire. Yavin and Hoth were both attacks by the Empire on the seat of Rebel leadership. They might have pulled in their forces to participate in the assault on the first Death Star though we don't know at this point if the Ghost and it's crew survived the attack on Scarif. But it's unlikely they would have been at Hoth either way unless Hera, as a general, had been called in to participate in the meetings that were going on when the Empire discovered the base on Hoth. And even if so, the Rebellion began to disperse as soon as they realized that their base had been discovered so the Rebels team not being there for the following battle would almost be expected.

Royal

And Saw was by far the weakest part of s3.

It was the weakest 2-part arc of the entire series so far. It bordered on filler that was only written to have a Rogue One tie in for the sake of a Rogue One tie in. But I suppose that was better than yet another standalone episode that goes nowhere and is unrelated to anything in the overall story.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok that's a fair point about the battles of Yavin and Hoth. Still kinda ridiculous the way Kanan and Ezra openly use their lightsabers and declare themselves Jedi every other episode though. I can sorta see Vader deciding two padawans weren't worth continuing to chase and sending more Inquisitors, but you would think the deaths of 4 Inquisitors would make Vader think 'whoops maybe I do need to come hunt them down myself'.

If they don't survive the battle of Scarif, that counts as killing them all off

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Kallus appears to be pretty much fucked. They are nailing Thrawn. He's a monster.

• 1Like

Royal

Kallus appears to be pretty much fucked. They are nailing Thrawn. He's a monster.

The Wullf returns!

And Kallus probably is toast. They can't keep showing people slipping Thrawn's noose without diminishing his character into all bark and no bite.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Royal

Ok that's a fair point about the battles of Yavin and Hoth. Still kinda ridiculous the way Kanan and Ezra openly use their lightsabers and declare themselves Jedi every other episode though. I can sorta see Vader deciding two padawans weren't worth continuing to chase and sending more Inquisitors, but you would think the deaths of 4 Inquisitors would make Vader think 'whoops maybe I do need to come hunt them down myself'.

Yeah that part of the problem Rebels has on a conceptual level. The target audience and the platform (Disney XD) makes killing off the bulk of the main characters almost a non-starter. But if you're as committed to an overall continuity as this franchise is then having some of these characters survive is hard to reconcile with that continuity without some sort of vague and ultimately unsatisfying conclusion for them.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Fan theory at this point, but I'll spoiler just in case even though I've seen it all over.
the Benicio Del Toro character in Ep8.
I don't know what I think about that, but that would give us some answers for him.
Kanan is more difficult. However they could write off Kanan, Ezra, and Zeb by having them go live on New Lasan in the maw-like area. Hera is left with Chopper to pilot the Ghost in Rogue One.

• 1Like

Royal

Yeah that's an old and widely discussed theory and my thoughts on it are ...

... we will not see a major character in the live action movies whose origins are as solidly grounded in an animated series as Ezra's are. Some will say "What about Saw Gerrera?" but he was only a tertiary character in R1. If BDT's role ends up being just as limited as Whitaker's then maybe but I personally think he's not going to be a force user, whoever he ends up being.

• 1Like

Royal

Well ...

... they slipped out of Thrawn's grasp again after all and Kallus lives to spy another day.

But he has been found out and Thrawn will make use of him before whatever fate ultimately awaits him. I wonder if the Thrawn fans will be satisfied with that or if they'll starting writing off Thrawn's inclusion in the show as a waste?

And they threw in a couple of call backs to earlier episodes and seasons, which is rare for this show.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
What is Sector Command? At about 5:40 Kallus and List are walking to Thrawn's room and they walk by 3 officers. The one in the lead was a dark skin female, thought it could have been Rae Sloane? They were all wearing black though and Sloane should be a Captain at least by this point in the timeline so I wasn't sure.

Great episode though. I get the feeling Thrawn now knows exactly were the base is. He seems like he would have memorized all those planets. I wish we could binge the rest of the season.

Royal

What is Sector Command? At about 5:40 Kallus and List are walking to Thrawn's room and they walk by 3 officers. The one in the lead was a dark skin female, thought it could have been Rae Sloane? They were all wearing black though and Sloane should be a Captain at least by this point in the timeline so I wasn't sure.

Outside of her brief appearance in the Kanan comic and her being a major character in the Aftermath novels I don't know anything about Rae Sloan. I got the impression that those officers were somehow associated with Yularen's presence on the ship. Did she ever serve under Yularen?

When I saw the officer I thought she looked a lot like the Captain Brunson from an earlier episode this season that had a lot of people wondering if she was Rae Sloan until her identity was clarified.

Last edited:

Royal

There's also a more general series commercial with a few as of yet unseen tidbits.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>

Great episode though. I get the feeling Thrawn now knows exactly were the base is. He seems like he would have memorized all those planets. I wish we could binge the rest of the season.
Pretty sure that was intended to be Sloane. Sector command would simply be the high ranking commanders of each sector, each with an admiral in charge of the fleet of that sector. I think Sloane may actually be an admiral at this point, reporting to Thrawn.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually going to tweet Pablo and ask if that was Sloane, I'll let you know if I get a response.