Star Wars Rebels

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly, I didn't even think about the teleporting hyperdrives until I read it in here, so I was mostly joking when I made that comment about Abrams tainting things. When it's just for visual impact and not an important part of the plot, it doesn't really bother me.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
With this weeks episode looking like it will probably be a stinker (the droid focused ones almost always are) they're already dropping a teaser preview for next week's Maul/Kenobi showdown.

edit: This week's episode ...

... ugh. It might be the worst of the season. It's close between it and "The Iron Squadron". I'll give the honor to this one because, as a kid's show, Iron Squadron was indulging that audience. This week's was the creative team indulging their own love for the Chopper character and trying to channel the droids as villains vibe from Doctor Aphra through him.

It's also puts their formula for filler episodes on full display. Throw in a fan favorite throw back character (Wedge, where has he been all season?) and drop some sort of nugget (the Lothal security codes) that let's Filoni and co. pretend that the episode is somehow relevant to the broader story.

That ending though, with Hera amplifying the single through Chopper to blow up the Imperial ship. My eyes can't roll over far enough for that. Don't screw with her droid ... we get it but that was George Lucas levels of bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
this episode brought absolutely nothing to the table. But if I've learned anything from Clone Wars and Rebels and crap episodes, we're in for a humdinger of a season finale

• 1Solidarity

Royal

But if I've learned anything from Clone Wars and Rebels and crap episodes, we're in for a humdinger of a season finale

That in itself is a real headscratcher with this show. Just as it builds up momentum towards anticipated story points they throw in a completely dead end episode or two and take the wind out of it's narrative sails. I don't know why they are so insistent on doing it but they do it with discouraging regularity.

Royal

The quality sucks but it's the teaser preview for the season finale.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Droid episodes are generally pretty bad and this proved to be mostly true here too. Finale preview does look interesting at least.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Was that part of that droid mission arc with the froggy little general from TCW? If so then that one gets mine as well.
Yes it was the worst episode of that pretty boring arc. 70% of the episode was them wandering around in the desert with Gacson getting more and more hysterial, it was pretty annoying.

Royal

If that arc had only been boring it wouldn't have been quite as bad but it alternated between boring and nails-on-chalkboard annoying with some cliched, unimaginative characters throughout. And of course Lucas' trademark slapstick attempts at humor.

Royal

They aren't really leaks. The episodes are generally available just after midnight on Fridays through the XD app and on demand with certain providers. With that being said ...

... for all of the anticipation that you know will naturally surround an episode like this I personally found it underwhelming.

They avoided the whole issue of showing Ben either completely overmatched by Maul as we have seen him so far in the series or showing him physically on par with him, which would be very inconsistent to ANH. But the way they did so was anti-climatic and really diminished Maul at his end.

And there really wasn't much of a story beyond that. Just Ezra making a bad decision (again) to ultimately illustrate something he already knew (his rebel team is his family) and seeing him in the oldest of Star Wars settings interacting with things like the Tusken Raiders and the dewback. It wasn't a bad episode it just didn't meet the bar it needed to (and now them putting that droid stinker immediately before it makes some sense, to make this one seem even better by comparison).

One thing about it though, if I'm understanding the implication correctly, is it has thrown a wrinkle into the whole Chosen One mythology built around Anakin/Vader. Ben seemed to suggest to Maul that Luke is the CO. That's gonna make some jaws wag if so.

Last edited:

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stephen Stanton's ability to sound exactly like Alec Guinness is amazing.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Wow. That seemed short but sweet. Was shocked when Obi-Wan knew exactly who Ezra was. Also cool Ezra never called him Obi-Wan. Held true to his line in ANH.

Edit for auto correct

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users