Steambox

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I didn't see a thread about Steamboxes so if there is one close this one.

I just heard about Steamboxes (a console for PC games) for the first time last week. Some questions for anyone who has been following their development.

Since the Steambox will be using Linux as their OS, is it safe to say that the only PC games that will run on it are Linux based games developed specifically for distribution on Steam?

Reason I am asking is because there are some Windows- based MMOs like TESO and Tera that are available on Steam and rumors that Wildstar and Lineage 2 will be added to Steam in the near future. If Windows-based MMOs available on Steam will function on a Steambox then I would be highly interested in getting one.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It can play Linux games natively and it can stream from your desktop to your Steambox for Windows/Mac games.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's just a gimmick Valve came up with to hedge against MS trying to steal their revenue through Windows store sales. That was Valve's biggest fear when Win8 was released (they can say their Win8 complaints were about other issues, but they were scared MS was going to start selling real PC games through the windows store). It hasn't really happened, so I think Valve will be fine regardless of how the Steamboxes do. I don't think it changes anything in the Linux vs. PC gamer debate. These will have pretty much the same limitations that any Linux PC would have. Valve hopes other developers will jump on with more Linux support, but it's difficult to see that happening without major system sales first. Personally, I don't see any reason why I'd consider buying one of these for gaming rather than just building a PC. Too limiting.

You could buy one and then dual boot windows on it, but what's the point? You'd probably be paying more for a system than if you'd just built it yourself.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The Steam Link is the thing that's got my interest. Not really sold on them yet though.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've been using my old PC to stream to for awhile now, it's great for games with 360 controls built in. However, all Ubisoft games can eat a giant dick for the controls not working AT ALL even though the game is supposed to be compatible with them.

I am looking forward to that $50.00 Steam Link because of it's size, having a giant Gen 1 Alienware case in my living room just doesn't look right.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's odd. I played every single Assassins Creed game on PC with an XBOX 360 controller. No issues, always auto-detected the controller and even adjusted in-game hints and tips to give them in 360-button format. Those are all Ubisoft, aren't they?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
When I had the issue I did some research and found it's quite a widespread thing. Some PC's just won't detect any inputs even though the game picks up the controller and switches the controls for you by default, and of course there wasn't one reply from Ubisoft on the issue.