Stormlight Archive ( Released Spoilers )

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm also very curious to know how Taravangian knows about Jasnah's powers, as well as Helaran Davar receiving his. Likely it's from his nigh-clairvoyant intellect. My personal theory is that on the day he did the Diagram, he received basically a snapshot of the entire world at that moment of time, and his obscene intellect let him predict the course of the future based on that massive dump of information.

Book 3: My money is on the focus being Dalinar, as far as flashbacks go, with Renarin and Jasnah tied for second. Jasnah would be the much more interesting choice, for me, given that we know so little about her progression with Ivory and as an Elsecaller, not to mention what other secrets she found out in Shadesmar that don't apply anymore.
Also pretty sure Sanderson doesn't go with convoluted powers usually so if the book mentions IQ variances then that is what we have. Powers in his books may be used creatively but always falls under the original system. Besides the story doesn't work if Taravangian had all the info from the night of the Diagram because then he would not need to make so many predictions to account for unknown variables. While he predicts there will be surgebinders he does not know who they are even though the spren around Shallan and Kaladin are involved from when they were kids/early teens even if they did not realize it. Taravangian had a lot of connections even before that night including with Gavilar. Also the only person they mention being a surgebinder in high probability is Jasnah and other parties seemed to realize she was on as well.

Also I'm not sure how you are assuming Helaron was an actual surgebinder because he displayed no powers as such at any point. There was also nothing special about his blade like it being extra bright like the living spren versions.

It's also too early to call that Szeth was sent by Taravangian in the beginning. Ghostbloods are more then likely to be the cause as Gavilar himself named there leader Thaidakar as the one who was primary suspect. Since events started happening in the last decade or so that showed signs of the Desolations returning Szeth probably noticed something. His people are guardians of the Honorblades and the legacy of the Heralds themselves and are vested in believing the lies the Heralds had spoken about ending the desolations. He could have easily committed such a blasphemy without the Diagram even existing yet. Also if you remember Taravangian's reactions to Szeth confronting him he doesn't innately react but thinks back to Szeth's history and manipulates. The way he thinks is not as someone who puppeted Szeth from the start but someone who was deciding based on learned history of the man.

Sanderson is very particular in how he writes peoples reactions and it's important to take in these factors.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Can someone clarify who Wit is? Someone said Hoid in Warbreaker, but I can't place which character that was. He most reminds me of the 1 god that's always making jokes, but he died (twice?!)

Spork

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Finished WoR last night, or rather this morning (stayed up too late). Awesome fucking book.

Vasher and Nightblood being on Roshar was a nice little twist (what happened to Vivenna?). I'm really looking forward to Nightblood driving Szeth nuts, lol.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finished WoR last night, or rather this morning (stayed up too late). Awesome fucking book.

Vasher and Nightblood being on Roshar was a nice little twist (what happened to Vivenna?). I'm really looking forward to Nightblood driving Szeth nuts, lol.
He already is nuts. I think this would be an improvement.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which character is Vasher on Roshar? (Haven't read Warbreaker, so it wouldn't be obvious to me!)

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm assuming Sanderson said this? Because I'd have never matched those 2 characters
Hoid appears in all of the cosmere novels.

Anyway just finished the book. I liked it. I really like the idea that Kaladin and I assume other Radiants can lose their powers if their spren thinks they are going against the ideals. Keeps them from getting too over powered. Shallan was much better in this book than the 1st one. On one hand I'm glad Jasnah isn't dead, she was starting to reveal a lot more about the cosmere as a whole but on the other, I like authors that will kill their characters off.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider

Anyway just finished the book. I liked it. I really like the idea that Kaladin and I assume other Radiants can lose their powers if their spren thinks they are going against the ideals. Keeps them from getting too over powered. Shallan was much better in this book than the 1st one. On one hand I'm glad Jasnah isn't dead, she was starting to reveal a lot more about the cosmere as a whole but on the other, I like authors that will kill their characters off.
I don't think he's afraid of killing them off. It's just early.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

What/who else was he?

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
What/who else was he?
Obvious spoilers:
Cosmere
Hoid

In general that site is great for keeping track of things. Since it's been quite a while since I read the first book, this wiki was great to remember who everyone was and what happened in book 1. Also keeping track of Sanderson's other books/events/characters that relate to this one, especially in relation to the cosmere as a whole.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What/who else was he?
He was the representative of a group of beggars in Elantris and he had about one line of dialogue; it was just a cameo, he had no actual role in that novel, I'm not sure about the others. Also to anyone considering a read of Elantris I would say don't as it only serves as an example of how much better an author can become at his craft through diligent practice. It's fairly simplistic and suffers greatly from too much telling and not showing. But that said if you loved Shallan from book 1 then go ahead with Elantris as it's female lead is nearly a carbon copy of her.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
What/who else was he?
As Gask said, he was the begger in Elantris. He was with a group of Terrismen in mistborn and he was Wit in Stormlight archives.

Sanderson has said that Hoid was around when adonalsium was broken in the 16 shards. Not sure what he was after in Elantris but in Mistborn he was searching for the well of ascension and he had a bead of lerasium, so he could make himself a mistborn. He also has breaths from warbreaker, as he noted in Words of Radiance he has perfect pitch.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I guess that makes sense now. Since I had just read Warbreaker right before this (the others have all been a while) I caught the perfect pitch thing and it really caught me as odd (this is the wrong world, I don't get it) so I can see that now.

Breaths can also make you stop aging.

He actually found the Well of Ascension I believe. I recall something about a single jar being broken.

I'd have probably never caught the connections, though I can see them now that I know I'm looking. I may have to do a reread of some of this stuff.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I guess that makes sense now. Since I had just read Warbreaker right before this (the others have all been a while) I caught the perfect pitch thing and it really caught me as odd (this is the wrong world, I don't get it) so I can see that now.

Breaths can also make you stop aging.

He actually found the Well of Ascension I believe. I recall something about a single jar being broken.

I'd have probably never caught the connections, though I can see them now that I know I'm looking. I may have to do a reread of some of this stuff.
I'd recommend the links Zyke posted and also, if it comes up
Forums - 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

I never caught on to the cosmere stuff until I noticed the name Hoid in a couple books. Then I started reading about the cosmere. Sanderson is nothing if not ambitious in the scope of work he has planned for it.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I'd recommend the links Zyke posted and also, if it comes up
Forums - 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

I never caught on to the cosmere stuff until I noticed the name Hoid in a couple books. Then I started reading about the cosmere. Sanderson is nothing if not ambitious in the scope of work he has planned for it.
Food for thought, since we're talking about that forum.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic...graph-message/

The decoded message is hinted at (as to what the "secret" is) in other epigraphs, but it's a fascinating little insight as to what Taravangian is up to.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
For easy reading, here's the decoded paragraphs from Nehrak's links:

&nbsp;[quote name="Argent" post="110306" timestamp="1394644167"]

If you are somehow out of the loop, here's the epigraph forWords of RadianceChapter 84: The One Who Saves:
&nbsp;
NOTE: IF YOU CAN'T OPEN THE SPOILER TAGS, QUOTE THIS POST AND READ WHAT'S INSIDE
&nbsp;
Epigraph (Encrypted):
11182510111271249151210101114102151171121011121713 44831110715142541434109161491493412122541010125127 10151910111234125511525121575511123410111291512106 1534
&nbsp;
We hada whole threadabout decoding this, and stuff was on fire, but now we know what it means. Read on at your own peril!

Epigraph (Decrypted):
Hold the secret that broke the Knights Radiant. You may need it to destroy the new Orders when they return.
&nbsp;
So. A few things of note:
  • "Hold the secret" suggests a physical object. Yes, it could be a metaphor for "Learn the secret," but I believe this is not the case.
  • This "secret" broke the original Knights Radiant.Thisimplies knowledge, information.
  • So far, I am inclined to believe that there is a physical object that represents the piece of information because of which the Ordens initiated the Recreance.
  • The second sentence implies that this "secret" can still be acquired.
My first thought? Gavilar's voidsphere. I don't have much in the way of reasoning, but it's like a nuke on the mantle. So let's say the sphere is actually an old artifact, one that the Radiants either created or found. Created would be my guess. I used to think that the sphere holds one of the Unmade, but could even one of them subvert the entire organization of the Radiants? Maybe the voidsphere is much more powerful than even that and holds a Splinter of Odium?
&nbsp;
I need to think about this some more...[/quote]
&nbsp;

Really interesting stuff. And it suggests that Taravangian knows what caused the Recreance to occur.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure I want to believe it's a physical object. The visions implied there was a choice in the old orders throwing down their swords.