Suggestions for a new author / series of books for me to read?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
No, it wasn't.
Hah, I've been figuratively biting my tongue on Snowcrash, and the Prince of Nothing books just recommended. I acknowledge that tons of people apparently like them, but I fucking hated both of them. Same with American Gods, while we're throwing out books that apparently I'm supposed to love.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll admit prince of nothing are definitely hit or miss. about 50% of the people I have recommended them to have not been able to get through the first half of the first one. The other 50% can't put them down.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, I liked everything about the Prince of Nothing series except for the main dude, Kellhus (had to look his name up). If he weren't in the books at all, they would be great, because all the other characters are pretty cool. But when I loathe the main character, nothing else can make up for it. If someone doesn't mind him, the books are probably quite good.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the follow ups he isn't really a pov it is mainly akka. New characters and some of his kids. So if you liked the world and everything else they might be worth looking at.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
For something fantasy related, I'd recommend theAcacia Trilogyby David Anthony Durham. I really feel it's one of the most unique fantasy series to come out in recent years, but it's sadly not gotten the recognition it deserves. It also has the advantage of being a finished series, so you don't have to sit around and wait for the next book to come out.

For something more along the lines Stephen King, I'd suggest checking out Dean Koontz. He considers himself a "thriller" author more than "horror", but most of his books straddle that line. However, I'd suggest starting with his earlier books and avoid anything written after 2005 as he's seemed to have lost some steam in recent years (particularly with his obsession over Odd Thomas).
I rarely give up on a book, but I couldn't finish that shit.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Whoever suggested the Chronicles of Amber wins - fantastic series and I'll second them. Lord of Light is also great.

Jack Vance's Dying Earth stories are complete, hilarious and essential.