Syncing Files between home and office.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully someone here can help me with this.

I have a small business and work on files/email at home and at work. The obvious problem is having access to the same up to date files no matter which location I'm at.

I was hoping a flash drive would be the answer, but it doesn't help because I'm just not organized or self disciplined enough to resave the newest file over what might be on the flash drive, then keep it with me all the time. As much as I want that method work out for me, it simply doesn't.

What's the easiest and fastest way to work on files at 2 locations and have them available at either place? Is that something a server is used for, or do I need some type of Cloud service? At this point I'm not too concerned with cost because the busier I get at work, the worse the problem is trying to keep it all organized and it's slowing things down.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Cloud shares are probably your best and most secure solution, if you are using strong password and 2FA. You could also use a local solution like fllezilla or winscp, if you go this route you will want to setup a split tunnel vpn like openvpn.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
google drive, dropbox, etc

If you're doing large files, i setup a program called btsync that i have from one vps to another

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully someone here can help me with this.

I have a small business and work on files/email at home and at work. The obvious problem is having access to the same up to date files no matter which location I'm at.

I was hoping a flash drive would be the answer, but it doesn't help because I'm just not organized or self disciplined enough to resave the newest file over what might be on the flash drive, then keep it with me all the time. As much as I want that method work out for me, it simply doesn't.

What's the easiest and fastest way to work on files at 2 locations and have them available at either place? Is that something a server is used for, or do I need some type of Cloud service? At this point I'm not too concerned with cost because the busier I get at work, the worse the problem is trying to keep it all organized and it's slowing things down.

This is basically what dropbox was designed for.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
2560px-ZIP_Drive_100%2C_2.jpg

You want one of these bad boy zip drives. Capacity up to 250MB is future proof, fam!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I used to play Hexen & Doom 2 off of my Zip Drive. Goddamn was it slow loading.

0000002428.600x338.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah as long as it doesn't worry you that the files are in the cloud (may be compromised if you have trade secrets/ confidential info) just use DropBox. And honestly for your small business I probably wouldn't even be concerned about compromise.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If you are paranoid then host your own Dropbox alternative like Owncloud. I run an Owncloud server because work has Dropbox blocked.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I use Dropbox for personal and onedrive for work(O365 e3) license.

I also have a lower end WD nas at home which i can access via their mobile app. Handy but a little cumbersome.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We use google drive at work and I find it really cumbersome. Unless there's explorer integration I don't know about

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice, I use a mac so I'm not sure it's supported.. but I have 3 days left so also I won't even look it up

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Nice, I use a mac so I'm not sure it's supported.. but I have 3 days left so also I won't even look it up

I'm on my mac right now and am using the google drive desktop app

Are you sure you are a computer guy?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
wut is a computer

I barely use google drive at work, just when I have to do so I never even looked into it. I thought it was weird that a multi-million dollar company trusted all internal docs to be hosted on google.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah how is Google Drive cumbersome? Install it, it creates an explorer a folder for it, save files there and you're done?....

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Noodle putting government secrets on the google cloud. Way to go Hillary.