The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It is easily my GOTY

I'm enjoying it so far, but not as much as Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm finding the games extremely similar. Horizon objectively does movement better, and traversing the world is an utter joy. Short range combat, while painfully simplistic, is more satisfying in Horizon thus far, but RoTR blows it out in the bow combat department. Exploration is not being rewarded in Horizon to nearly the extent it was in TR, and the world, while fucking gorgeous, feels a bit soulless. It's too open worldy with no good reason for being that way thus far, and it hasn't created any tension early on the way TR did either. A certain advantage of a more linear narrative.

We'll see. I'm only an hour or two in. Maybe the narrative explodes and the open world starts delivering as the game goes on.

'Dem robots tho bruh.

So far if The Witcher 3 is a 10 (and it is), I'm at a pretty generous 8.25 for Horizon.

joz123

Potato del Grande
CEO of a sega subsidiary confirmed on neogaf today that Shenmue 1 & 2 HD remaster will be coming to PS4 this fall
Noice. I loved moving boxes with cranes for hours. Will still buy of course.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying it so far, but not as much as Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm finding the games extremely similar. Horizon objectively does movement better, and traversing the world is an utter joy. Short range combat, while painfully simplistic, is more satisfying in Horizon thus far, but RoTR blows it out in the bow combat department. Exploration is not being rewarded in Horizon to nearly the extent it was in TR, and the world, while fucking gorgeous, feels a bit soulless. It's too open worldy with no good reason for being that way thus far, and it hasn't created any tension early on the way TR did either. A certain advantage of a more linear narrative.

We'll see. I'm only an hour or two in. Maybe the narrative explodes and the open world starts delivering as the game goes on.

'Dem robots tho bruh.

So far if The Witcher 3 is a 10 (and it is), I'm at a pretty generous 8.25 for Horizon.

Yeah an hour or two in is still the tutorial. You have to wait until after the impending event, and then it explodes like you are thinking, and the story picks up - one of the best stories in gaming, and character development as well. I also highly suggest going to the first vantage point so you can see where you are :)

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah an hour or two in is still the tutorial. You have to wait until after the impending event, and then it explodes like you are thinking, and the story picks up - one of the best stories in gaming, and character development as well. I also highly suggest going to the first vantage point so you can see where you are :)

Yeah I just now got to The Proving. World has livened up which is nice, and I hope it continues. I suspect that the 'dead' feeling early on in The Embrace was intentional to highlight the nature of being an outcast, and juxtapose it to the liveliness of tribal life.

Big complaint - the AI is fucking stoooopid. That sabre tooth cat encounter was a boner killer. Spent all kinds of time setting up strategically located traps and executed a plan to lure it with rocks. Then when I engaged it just ran behind a hill and wouldn't come out even as I was shooting it with fire arrows. I really hope you can't just range-cheese the whole game like that.

If you know your AI can't deal with long range, why the fuck would you make a bow the centrepiece of your combat? Game would be just as fun with a high-tech slingshot that fired unique projectiles at a shorter range.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I just now got to The Proving. World has livened up which is nice, and I hope it continues. I suspect that the 'dead' feeling early on in The Embrace was intentional to highlight the nature of being an outcast, and juxtapose it to the liveliness of tribal life.

Big complaint - the AI is fucking stoooopid. That sabre tooth cat encounter was a boner killer. Spent all kinds of time setting up strategically located traps and executed a plan to lure it with rocks. Then when I engaged it just ran behind a hill and wouldn't come out even as I was shooting it with fire arrows. I really hope you can't just range-cheese the whole game like that.

If you know your AI can't deal with long range, why the fuck would you make a bow the centrepiece of your combat? Game would be just as fun with a high-tech slingshot that fired unique projectiles at a shorter range.

Trust me, some stuff is really rough to truly cheese (some stuff is super effective with some types but it's not a matter of just doing something trivial, its a reward for wise play) as you get deeper in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Unfortunately you can. They have short leash ranges in many cases. Sometimes you unintentionally exploit it and sometimes you gotta intentionally man fight to avoid it. Probably one of my only real complaints.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
One of my grips is the AI cheesing you. Fucking robots not triggering traps because they go through it in their leaping animation is some bullshit.

On a completely different topic, anyone playing Farpoint with the Aim controller? Has potential to be pretty awesome, but don't want to drop $80 on something that's just a gimmick and gets old after a couple days.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
One of my grips is the AI cheesing you. Fucking robots not triggering traps because they go through it in their leaping animation is some bullshit.

On a completely different topic, anyone playing Farpoint with the Aim controller? Has potential to be pretty awesome, but don't want to drop $80 on something that's just a gimmick and gets old after a couple days.

I am thinking about getting this. $63.99 with BB GC. However, I am thinking of getting it only because the aim controller retails for 59 anyway, and I can get the game with it in the bundle for 4 bucks more. Whatever you do, I am told NOT to get the game without the aim controller. It doesn't support the move controllers - and playing with the dual shock sucks. Sounds like the game is fantastically fun with the aim controller, but if it wasn't for VR and that, it would be a VERY boring corroidor shooter.

spronk

FPS noob
DAhUuFyXUAMiiSH.jpg

last one is phantom dust dlc

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
xbox game pass is live, $10/mo
Xbox Game Pass | Xbox

full list of games
Xbox Game Pass | Xbox

decent i guess if you JUST bought an xbox and have no games but pretty much meh for anyone who has had gold for a while

Yeah for the reason you just stated, for anyone that has owned a 360 and has an Xbox One and Xbox live, we already have access to all those.

I think they are going to have a hard time convincing the main publishers to hop on board with that when those publishers are probably looking at their own service to deploy, like EA access exists today, or when they are still selling new game units.