<Silver Donator>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Biggest Little Farm (2019)

Genre: Documentary

Director: John Chester

Cast: John Chester, Molly Chester

Release: 2019-06-13

Runtime: 89

Plot: The successes and failures of a couple determined to live in harmony with nature on a farm outside of Los Angeles are lovingly chronicled by filmmaking farmer John Chester, in this inspiring documentary.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Loved this movie. It's basically non-stop problems with great cinematography. It's probably going to end up being my new feel good movie.

Who was the person from here that started their own mini farm recently? Kiroy Kiroy ?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Loved this movie. It's basically non-stop problems with great cinematography. It's probably going to end up being my new feel good movie.

Who was the person from here that started their own mini farm recently? Kiroy Kiroy ?

We’re just running some cattle, boarding horses and keeping up a roping practice arena so far

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We’re just running some cattle, boarding horses and keeping up a roping practice arena so far
That's even more of a commitment than I'm hoping for. I mainly want a massive garden, chickens & goats.

Is there some kind of chart that basically ranks the effort it takes to raise different livestock? Going off what I see from my friends with horses, I've always had horses at the top of the list in my head.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This movie just kind of seemed like a giant sham. Wealthy people who have the perfect connections to gather VC funding and be able to sell farm-to-table at insanely high prices due to their previous jobs. $15 dozen eggs yet it's being sold as this underdog, anybody can do this, anybody can be a responsible farmer, kind of story when the only way this can concievably be profitable, which it most likely isn't, is due to connections and the never ending lust of the shitty, top earners, in LA to virtue signal through avocado toast. Should have a tagline that reads "A wonderful failing upwards story of a couple who spent millions paying others to start a farm so their chef friends could upstage their competitors with how close their produce was grown".

This is masturbatory drivel. It's just an hour long ad for their business where they try to sell more merch than produce

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That's even more of a commitment than I'm hoping for. I mainly want a massive garden, chickens & goats.

Is there some kind of chart that basically ranks the effort it takes to raise different livestock? Going off what I see from my friends with horses, I've always had horses at the top of the list in my head.

One thing i didnt realize is that a few cows are likely easier or just as easy as a few goats and they actually serve a purpose. That said my wife wants those cute tiny goats so ill get her a few for her bday.

We’re going to do chickens eventually but i think after the setup, if youve set it up good, they are pretty easy.

Horses are the most work and they are fucking genius at hurting themselves but ive essentially leased that side of the ranch out to a cowboy friend who takes care of the horses and the arena / roping steers with a little help from me here and their.

We have a thousand sqft of garden so far but my wife is the primary on that. Decent amount of work but not too crazy. We’ll spend a few years learning on that then i may till out and irrigate another few thousand feet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This movie just kind of seemed like a giant sham. Wealthy people who have the perfect connections to gather VC funding and be able to sell farm-to-table at insanely high prices due to their previous jobs. $15 dozen eggs yet it's being sold as this underdog, anybody can do this, anybody can be a responsible farmer, kind of story when the only way this can concievably be profitable, which it most likely isn't, is due to connections and the never ending lust of the shitty, top earners, in LA to virtue signal through avocado toast. Should have a tagline that reads "A wonderful failing upwards story of a couple who spent millions paying others to start a farm so their chef friends could upstage their competitors with how close their produce was grown".

This is masturbatory drivel. It's just an hour long ad for their business where they try to sell more merch than produce
Definitely not wrong and the reason I was asking who started a farm from this forum is that I assumed these guys had resources available that -no one- else does when they start a farm.

It's an adventure movie, like 180d South, but definitely not a how-to farm movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I saw this movie awhile back. It was basically a “let’s make a farm theme park” movie. I kept waiting to hear if all those investors ever got a dime back for their investing in this theme park. As someone with a farm , I kept rolling my eyes during the movie. I think they had tons of free slave labor too in the form of dummies that wanted a larp farm “experience”

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Keeping chickens is easy as long as you're disciplined enough to keep their coop and run clean.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
wife and I just watched this, it's fine but they spent like 5-10 million to deck out 200 acres (insane) and they are taking a crazy amount of water out of "their" aquifer, a huge percent of it unnecessarily. It's cool what they've set up though I guess. And they're making their nut from eggs it's looking like, so they're essentially a glorified 'organic cage free' chicken ranch with a bunch of other random shit.

I tell you one thing the fact they sat their and just fiddle fucked around while that coyote was suffering with a broken neck put me in a bit of a rage. I've shot my fair share of coyotes but I always go finish it off as quickly as possible. First thing those sick fuckers should have done is pull out their pistol and domed it. Same with that baby lamb they fucking kept alive for god knows how long so they could go fetch a 'humane' device to kill it /bogggle

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database