The Expanse

spronk

FPS noob
goddamn that was balls to the wall amazing. The Launch of the Nauvoo was so beautiful, all the little shit going on like the tug pods lining up and the rockets going off.

So glad my boy Diego is still alive, for a second when Miller turns around after applying his patch I thought Diego was gonna be dead.

Full ratings out for the first two episodes, its up 134% in Live+7 (DVR) numbers to 1.6m viewers which I hope is pretty fantastic, especially with the positive word of mouth and this show has got to be doing really well on Amazon/Netflix.

The irony of Holden having to kill someone who just wants to get the truth out is not lost on Holden.

"The Nauvoo didn't move. Eros did." DAMN SON

Protomolecule found IRL, we are doomed
Life's Building Blocks Found on Dwarf Planet Ceres

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So glad my boy Diego is still alive, for a second when Miller turns around after applying his patch I thought Diego was gonna be dead.
I cheated, I looked him on IMDB and he's still there for a few episodes.

I do expect him to be a replacement character for Manéo Jung-Espinoza
who is the brief star of the prologue of Abaddon's Gate. The first man to get outside of the Solar System.

For about 0.5s.

He feels like the kind of absolute cocky kid that Manéo is supposed to be.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Just caught up on the last 2 episodes, damn this show just keeps getting better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Well, that wraps book 1. Slightly different from the book, but it worked and captured the main stuff that mattered. The mini-trailer at the end for the upcoming episodes seems to confirm it will follow book 2's storyline pretty close.

Love this show. Also kind of sad I'm on book 6 now and will soon have to wait for more story continuation lol

• 2Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Haven't read the thread so apologies if this has been asked already.

I'm currently reading the series (started book 2 recently); is the show following the 1 season = 1 book format? Can I start watching Season 1 now that I've finished Book 1 and not be spoiled?

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Well, that wraps book 1. Slightly different from the book, but it worked and captured the main stuff that mattered. The mini-trailer at the end for the upcoming episodes seems to confirm it will follow book 2's storyline pretty close.
Haven't seen the ep yet, but there's an article on io9 and they mention:
“Later in season two, we get to Ganymede Station,” he said. “There’s a character in the latter part of season 2, that because she grew up in Ganymede, she has a unique immunodeficiency, which is partially the result of where she was raised.”
So, Prax's daughter is in, which means he is, although I didn't see them on imdb's list of characters.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Haven't read the thread so apologies if this has been asked already.

I'm currently reading the series (started book 2 recently); is the show following the 1 season = 1 book format? Can I start watching Season 1 now that I've finished Book 1 and not be spoiled?
There's a couple bits of book 2 pulled in Season 1; the earth-based characters are all from book 2. There's relatively little in terms of plot from book 2; but there's a few bits toward the end that give away the big bad from book 2 (they simplified the story a bit in terms of evil corps. Too many evil corps around).

There's also a couple plot points setting up book 5, but you won't even know they're about book 5, much less what it is, unless you've read it.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Prax is in it. The preview for upcoming episodes showed a frantic man saying that his daughter was missing, so reasonable to assume it was Prax.

• 1Like

Cybsled

On a side note...

One of the main complaints was the marketing for the show said 200 years in the future, which sort of messed with timelines when you considered the show/book took place 150 years after the Epstein Drive invention. However, if you'll notice at the end, when Holden was pouring out some gin, the bottle said "Since 2307". Given the fact that marketing for a product probably wouldn't try to tout the date they started manufacturing something until enough time had passed and we know Ganymede wouldn't have been settled until after the Epstein Drive invention, that means the show probably takes place in the mid to late 24th century. /nerd off

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Non book reader here, but it was pretty clear from the context that this was the end of "book one". I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to get more people watching this damn show.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
gVOgJVD.png

The Wit and Wisdom of Chrisjen Avasarala, in charming inspirational shareable images! (Spoiler free) • r/TheExpanse

• 3Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Again I am not a book reader, but given the dialogue and discussion of "the work" I can only imagine that some interesting shit will now go down on Venus. I suspect the Martian Marine whose character introduction focused on her dream of terraforming Mars is going to be pretty triggered when Venus gets terraformed first thanks to Mr. Proto-molecule.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Without spoiling anything beyond the show, the protomolecule did have a purpose. Find organics/life, use them to create something, then use that for some additional purpose. Key thing to remember is at the time the protomolecule was sent to our system, there wasn't any advanced life beyond simple single-cell stuff. The fact that something there would have a will of its own (Julie) probably never factored into the equation, which is why she was able to steer Eros away from Earth (probably the original target for Phoebe) to Venus instead. That would suggest it wasn't a weapon, but rather a tool or a template for something that needed organic material/life to fulfill its purpose.

The million dollar question is whether the protomolecule was destroyed by the impact, and if it wasn't, what can it achieve on Venus?

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I suspect the Martian Marine whose character introduction focused on her dream of terraforming Mars is going to be pretty triggered when Venus gets terraformed first thanks to Mr. Proto-molecule.
Her world-view will be very much altered by protomolestuff, but her character is undergoing quite a few changes compared to the books.

For instance, since all the UN characters are from book 2, but were injected in book 1's story, she's in a very different position. If you take Avarasala's black-op spy boy, quite a lot of his role (the bodyguard part) was either Bobbie's or interaction with Bobbie during book 2. So, we (book readers) don't know exactly how her story goes. We have a good idea, but there's departure from it, and very soon.

From the way stuff should go, she's back next week.

• 1Like

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Starting with "Without spoiling anything" and then heavily hinting at all kinds of stuff doesn't really help. This whole last page is full of shit like this. Would you guys consider using something :

book shit inside
tada, here's some spoilers/semi-spoilers and anything not directly shown in the tv series.

Or do we really need 2 threads like GoT ? I'm asking this as a book reader.

• 3Like