The Expanse

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Avasarala would be so much better if she could swear on screen as much as she does in the books.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Avasarala would be so much better if she could swear on screen as much as she does in the books.

She seems like a competent actress who could probably nail the character. I just have a feeling she hasn't read any of the source material so she doesn't have a firm feeling for the type of person Avasarala is. Jefferson Mays does a great job with that character in the audiobooks. If the actress could just listen to a compilation of her character's best parts in the audiobooks, I think that's all it would take .

• 2Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
yeah still not a big fan of bobbie, it really sucks that they brought in a "I don't remember!" thing and then 2 minutes later its not really that important as she uses the focus drug. That all felt a bit sloppy and made the character worse, not better. I did like it when she mouthed off at the guy as he was about to tell a story about Earth, that finally shows the more interesting side to her - angry, but not whiny. Most of her scenes so far have just shown her as a petulant child.

Anderson Dawes is not replacing Marcos Inaros, at the beginning of the OPA Faction meeting Fred lists the factions present - Black Sky, Inaros, Tres Copains, and others.

Problem with the Martian Chick is her resolve, it's not that her character is unbelievable, it's very believable, and also very unlikable. Oh all gong-ho about going to war, everyone under your charge dies and now you're apologetically crying to your own memories, instead of focusing on who killed them so you can get revenge.

Also, perhaps I'm missing something but, they make her out to be strong physically (which she doesn't look like anything special), I can understand that she should be able to beat the crap out of any Belter man or woman, but if she got to earth, or even just fought an Earther in space (assuming they've adapted to space to some degree), wouldn't any Earth person beat the shit out of her, at least depending on the gravity they were in, and appropriate hand to hand training in said environment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I never read the books, and I am definitely enjoying this show. I hope it lasts many more seasons.

Amos is by far my favorite character. Alex, Cutty, Daws, Naomi, Miller and even the crazy scientist prisoner are all good too.

But after that there are some pretty bad actors/castings/whatever. Holden is awful, so bland and wimpy, I hate everyting he says. That scene with him talking about being on Eros to the crowd of belters was SO BAD.

The old hag from mars has had a few good moments, but most the time her quiet, raspy voice ruins whatever shes trying to say. hard to make a strong point when you can barely cough out the words.

The Marine chick sucks so far, but I have hope that after we get past her emotional shit from losing her squad, maybe she will become a badass? Actress looks weak and not marine-like so far, but maybe it can happen.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Oh all gong-ho about going to war, everyone under your charge dies and now you're apologetically crying to your own memories, instead of focusing on who killed them so you can get revenge.
She's still gung-ho. She's pissed about wearing that brace, she's obsessively checking her armor and gun. But she's also suffering from some PTSD about guilty about being unable to protect her squad. Both of which are normal.

And she's horrified at the idea of being sent to earth as a political token (and told to lie) rather than being used as a proper marine.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
But after that there are some pretty bad actors/castings/whatever. Holden is awful, so bland and wimpy, I hate everyting he says. That scene with him talking about being on Eros to the crowd of belters was SO BAD.
Holden is the incarnation of stupid in the books too. The man who says "information wants to be free" and starts interplanetary warS because he think it's the right thing to do. If anything, he's been toned down in the show, but he's absolutely intended to be the guy you love to hate.

The actor doesn't help.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Problem with the Martian Chick is her resolve, it's not that her character is unbelievable, it's very believable, and also very unlikable. Oh all gong-ho about going to war, everyone under your charge dies and now you're apologetically crying to your own memories, instead of focusing on who killed them so you can get revenge.

Also, perhaps I'm missing something but, they make her out to be strong physically (which she doesn't look like anything special), I can understand that she should be able to beat the crap out of any Belter man or woman, but if she got to earth, or even just fought an Earther in space (assuming they've adapted to space to some degree), wouldn't any Earth person beat the shit out of her, at least depending on the gravity they were in, and appropriate hand to hand training in said environment.
And that if you are a colony, with limited numbers, you wouldn't have birthing age women as combat troops.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
And that if you are a colony, with limited numbers, you wouldn't have birthing age women as combat troops.

Well, Mars isn't a colony and hasn't been for some time. Plus, it seems things have progressed to the point that no one is going to tell a woman who wants to join the military "Nope, you gotta stay home, do laundry, and pop out babies."

The show takes place in something like 2350, not 1850.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Bobbie is supposed to be 6'5" and like 200+lbs of Martian Amazon.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Bobbie is supposed to be 6'5" and like 200+lbs of Martian Amazon.

Then they should've put her against a green screen or cast a big chick, that would make a lot more fucking sense!

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man, when they spaced the Asian girl and the Earthers. That shit was brutal.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Ya, was pretty fucked up. Once they stopped Prax from entering because he was a belter, you knew what was coming next.

I did like wounded "Drummer's" response after the siege was broken. She just flat out executes the coup folks, then hobbles her way to the infirmary.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ya, was pretty fucked up. Once they stopped Prax from entering because he was a belter, you knew what was coming next.

I did like wounded "Drummer's" response after the siege was broken. She just flat out executes the coup folks, then hobbles her way to the infirmary.

Yeah it brings up some questions:

1. Did Drummer betray Fred? I think there is the assumption she did, but

2. If she did, then did the coup people know? And if they knew, was her shooting them an indication that she regretted the betrayal and was moving back into the "fold" with Fred?

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No, that dude with the wires coming out of his head is the one who contacted them.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah that drummer chick is pretty awesome, just straight up headshot to show don't fuck with her. The actor playing Praxis is great too, he really displays a sort of PTSD and low level autism that makes the character feel real

AND GREAT NEWS RENEWED FOR SEASON 3 YAAAAAAAAAAAAY
The Expanse has been renewed for a third season

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yay!

Time for big-scale SF! Hope they get the budget book 3 deserves. Book 4 can be done on the cheaper side, but book 3 requires the big stuff.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Goddamn I love this show.

Waiting to read book 4.

But goddamn I love this show.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Watching the last episode again I noticed when they spaced the inners, they used the thrusters to vacate the air lock.l by rotating the ship. The little details like that are amazing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Ya, one of the few representations of airlocks where it isn't some super suction pull of death.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity