The Joe Rogan Experience

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_92284.jpg

The Joe Rogan Experience is probably my favorite podcast due to Joe's wide variety of guests. For example guests range from Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson to Comedian Bobby Lee, from Comedian Joey "CoCo" Diaz to Quantam Physicist Dr. Amit Goswami. To say the least it is a very eclectic group of guests, not every show is award winning but Joe does a pretty good job of consistently keeping the conversation flowing and for the most part you can walk away from each episode with a new view point, fact or anecdote that you did not have before.

Is Joe Rogan a genius that has the answer to everything? No. Does he say some outlandish shit from time to time? Yes. Is he open minded and willing to have a fact based conversation? Yes. Is he willing to have his opinion or stance change based on that conversation? Yes, and that is why he is entertaining to me.

I think Joe has one of the healthiest mental outlooks on life you can ask for from anybody, let alone a celebrity. I know his overall message of "peace and love" can come off as a little hippy-ish but it is well intended and can certainly help you look at topics from other people's perspective.

Links:

PowerfulJRE - YouTube

Joe Rogan Experience Google Play Store

iTunes - Podcasts - The Joe Rogan Experience by Joe Rogan

Joe Rogan - joerogan.net

Here are a few of my favorite Episodes:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I listened to him on The Nerdist and on something else WTF maybe, and he really wasn't what I expected. So I checked out the episode of his podcast with Brian Cox which was awesome. I can't imagine listening to him regularly because he seems to really do a lot of obscure comedians I don't know and a lot of MMA stuff but I am staying subscribed anyway.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I've listened to hundreds of JRE, as anyone that workouts knows JRE delivers on material. However since i have near zero interest in MMA (aside from ronda rousey, cuz of the podcast), these MMA guests and recently theres a special MMA edition where they comment on fights as well, i pretty much skip. Most of the MMA guys are just "i grapple him, then he grapples me, for hours and hours, so i just skip those podcasts"

Anyone tried branching out from the JRE with guests?

I think one of the musts, is Dan Carlin

i was severly disappointed with Cara Santa Maria(i think it's cuz her podcast guests are boring as nails)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Busy with the family right now, but I totally planned on making a Dan Carlin Hardcore History and Dan Carlin Common Sense thread later tonight or tomorrow.

zubdub_sl

shitlord
I've listened to hundreds of JRE, as anyone that workouts knows JRE delivers on material. However since i have near zero interest in MMA (aside from ronda rousey, cuz of the podcast), these MMA guests and recently theres a special MMA edition where they comment on fights as well, i pretty much skip. Most of the MMA guys are just "i grapple him, then he grapples me, for hours and hours, so i just skip those podcasts"

Anyone tried branching out from the JRE with guests?

I think one of the musts, is Dan Carlin
Some of the fight companion casts are actually pretty funny even if you aren't watching the fight or into MMA just because Brendon Shaub and Bryan Callen get some good trolling in and Joe sometimes falls for it.

Aside from the most important guest to branch out to which you mentioned, Dan Carlin (arguably the best podcaster out there), Bert Kreischer has his own cast called Bertcast where he recently interviewed Peter Jackson, Bill Burr's Monday Morning podcast is hilarious.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't subscribe to the podcast, but I have listened to quite a few of them. His conversations with Sam Harris are great.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I like Joe's podcast, but I don't listen to every single one of them. Sometimes that Brian kid is so retarded and awkward it's hard to listen to.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first Kevin Pereira episode was one of the most entertaining. I think I found the right one on youtube:

zubdub_sl

shitlord
I like Joe's podcast, but I don't listen to every single one of them. Sometimes that Brian kid is so retarded and awkward it's hard to listen to.
The last episode with Bert Kresicher where he was arguing over the white and gold/blue and black dress bullshit with Jamie... how flustered he got-- like a 13 year old throwing a tantrum in Ventrilo or something. He's 40 years old if you could believe that.

Goatface

i was on a big kick listening to every thing joe put out and a bunch of shows on brian's network for a few years, but after joe and brian had a little tiff
and he stopped having him on certain shows, i stopped listening.
Brian is a retard but he did a lot of stuff that is funny to hear about. Joe gathers up maybe 1 new story a month and rehashes it a dozen times with different people.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
HA, if you want to hear true angst, just listen to when Jaime is asked by joe to explain it to them (since Jaime is a photographer) and you could just hear Jaime pause and think, "how the fuck am i supposed to be all technical with these 3 retards".

But yea, the exchange between Brian and Jaime was pretty embarrassing, like that's Joe's new favorite, GTFO of here.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I feel like Joe's relationship with Redban exemplifies Joe's overall outlook on life. Joe does not punish Redban for his social retardation, he embarrasses it and finds the funny. Joe tries very hard to find the good in everyone and everything. He is a better person than me because I might choked the suit out of Redban by now.

All that said, Joe has realized Redban has no business being on certain episodes and thus has only included Redban when deemed appropriate.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Well Joe will also not call out any comedian friend, which i guess, you kinda have to (being actual friends and all). Recent example that comes to mind is praising Kevin James for being funny.

Iance_sl

shitlord
I used to like Rogan a whole lot more but in recent history he has become an old man. Where once he was open minded and scalding everyone who wasn't, he has now turned into the knowitall old dude nobody likes. Especially his MMA commentary on the UFC broadcasts has become almost unbearable to watch & listen to, since he is getting more and more biased and subjective, and he likes to "have the back of his friends" which is a good thing for his friends, unless you are Brendan Schaub then I guess you are fair game, but also becomes increasingly harder as he "gets to know" more and more people in the scene.

His standup has become quite stale, but I still like it.

His podcasts have also become less and less fun to listen to. The biggest problem is that he is quite repetitive, especially for loyal listeners, since he likes to recycle the same material over and over again. He has some special guests he will always reinvite and they will basically talk about the same thing EVERY single time. Like Steven Rinella with his hunting stuff (I love MeatEater, but on the podcasts they both are the most boring people ever) or when he invites MMA guests he will always harp on the same issues.

And I guess by now we ALL know that he's ONNIT (get it? ). I really liked it a whole lot more when they were still being sponsored by Fleshlight, and there would always be a lot of fun in the commercial section of the podcasts, whereas today it is 100% self promotion for his silly website (There are hundreds of websites out there that sell the exactly same stuff so there really is nothing special about Onnit).

At least he got over himself a tiny bit, and stops talking every single one of his guests into making his own podcast.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
who cares who he's sponsored by, skip the 5min intro ads, at least now he's gotten lazy and kept the intro ads to 5mins and doesn't try to spin them up every podcast.

So far imo, he's one of the few podcasts that only has a beginning and end commercial, like 99% of them all seem to insert a commercial or 3 in the middle, and no, obviously these podcasts have to be funded, so yes it's cool they are sponsored, just that with JRE now you know where you can skip.

And yes, a subject that is tired like hunting/ steve Rinella is very much boring ass. It's not like next month there will be a new development or epiphany in the world of hunting or steve rinella, as opposed to neil tyson's world.

He really shouldn't have those limited people in those podcasts, at least not multiple times every 2 months.

yea i find callen and sclub intolerable now. it's always callen bullshitting a story up to 11 or bullshitting a story from "his buddy, his buddy" to 11 and sclub talking like a half retard.

That would be the extreme case of Rogans bias, with the mma shit and his friend, that recent podcast with those 2 idiots was a waste.

And no, he doesn't stop with the "get your own podcast man", he just did that to bert and told him to podcast everyone of his dreams.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Listened to JRE for quite a while. This podcast single handily kick-started my weight loss. Introduced me to Dave Asprey (I know I know) as well as just his general fitness schtick, BJJ, and wellness eventually makes you want to go work out and do better for yourself. Outside of that, good comedic guests like Diaz and any episode with Shane Smith from Vice is great.

I stopped listening a while back because...something annoyed me about Joe. I don't quite remember. Basically, I think he was on a streak of being wrong about stuff but still defending himself to the death.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I usually only listen to it if I am doing something at work that doesn't require concentration, but I purposely avoid the ones where he talks to car guys, hunting guys, or professional podcasters. I generally find comedians to be his best guests as long as they are friends with joe, if not they usually end up playing the sycophant (which is what other proffessional podcasters tend to do) or trying to sound way smarter than they are. I also like when he interviews legit scientists like Neil Tyson DeGrasse, Rupert Sheldrake, Graham Hancock (journalist?), Randal Carlson, etc.

zubdub_sl

shitlord
I stopped listening a while back because...something annoyed me about Joe. I don't quite remember. Basically, I think he was on a streak of being wrong about stuff but still defending himself to the death.
Well he definitely kept insisting bulletproof coffee worked, when all of his fans kept telling him how much of a conman Dave Asprey was, and finally when he had to admit the truth he kind of glossed over it. It kind of bothers me he's still pushing Alpha Brain on his ads since that's most likely Snake Oil and still hasn't had a legitimate study to prove it's anything more than a placebo.

He can get really testy at odd times, in the recent podcast with Billy Corben he basically scolded Billy for "speculating" on what it's like to raise kids because he doesn't have one, during their retarded nurture vs. nature argument, and ended up agreeing with him in the end.

But I agree with you in that the podcast is great for inspiring you to improve yourself, especially the episodes with Duncan. I couldn't stand his voice at first, but damn is that one positive dude.