The Planet Crafter - EA - Terraforming Survival/Builder

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I decided to create a thread for this because it is so damn good for the price and being EA. I've put about 20 hours into this and it is a great concept if you're into the genre.

Factorio meets Empyrion but very toned down on the survival aspect so very chill. In fact, I have only died once when I got domed by a meteor. Nice balance for resource collection, building, automation, technology progression. I am excited to see where they take it.

Absolutely worth the price, especially on sale. Free demo if you want to try it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I decided to create a thread for this because it is so damn good for the price and being EA. I've put about 20 hours into this and it is a great concept if you're into the genre.

Factorio meets Empyrion but very toned down on the survival aspect so very chill. In fact, I have only died once when I got domed by a meteor. Nice balance for resource collection, building, automation, technology progression. I am excited to see where they take it.

Absolutely worth the price, especially on sale. Free demo if you want to try it out.

This just looks like No Man's Sky without the rest of the game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Got more of an 'game is in alpha, not nearly ready for early access' vibe

• 1Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Played the demo like a month ago, and it was very far from a game I'd wanna pay $20 for. I imagine the actual release is a bit better, and I do like the idea of watching some rocky expanse come to life, but everything about actually playing the game was shit.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Yeah more like Subnautica.

You guys are tough crowd. Not that I always agree with Steam ratings but it's at 95% thumbs up and is sitting in the top 5. The basic systems are there, work, and are interesting enough to have kept me playing around 20 hours. At least 5 tech trees with a rewarding progression. Not a single crash. Seems like a good trade for $18.

My only complaints are
- The map needs to be expanded and polished. Lots of places you can clip through geometry out on the edges. They're working on this. They're also working on new areas.
- Snapping structures and objects needs some visual and functional improvements.

For me, and I am fucking picky about games, I was fine with the missing polish because it scratched an itch for me.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Some simple things feel really cryptic or maybe less obvious than they should be? I played my first session briefly yesterday, and some blueprints were readily available (ie Drill v2) to craft but things like the upgraded backpack weren't.

Like it a lot though, wish it was multiplayer.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I picked this up a couple days ago on a whim after the algo made a recommendation.

The game is still quietly being developed piece by piece. They've added animal life; currently just butterflies and other insects, but mammals are supposedly coming this year along with multiplayer.

Its graphics are subpar, it suffers from the usual Unity jank, and it desperately needs some way to move pieces without deconstructing and reconstructing them, but it has a very good core gameplay loop, and the tradeoff with the bad graphics is that it runs on potatoes (including Intel integrated.) It is a little stressful at the very start before you can grow your own veggies and have to rely on raiding spaceships for food, but once that problem is solved, it gets pretty chill.

Given it's being developed by only a 2-person team, it's a very cute game, and I'm enjoying myself.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
This may be a tad melodramatic, but there's a very spiritual je ne sais quoi at work for me in this game. Something satisfying about taking a place that's completely barren and dead and making it green.

If there's a God or some other higher power at work, I wonder if this was how it felt when creating the universe. Very Genesis 1:10 to me.

Never been so happy to see these little guys. I'm about 60 hours in and ready to start gene splicing some fish.

1705450312334.jpeg

20240114031022_1.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This may be a tad melodramatic, but there's a very spiritual je ne sais quoi at work for me in this game. Something satisfying about taking a place that's completely barren and dead and making it green.

If there's a God or some other higher power at work, I wonder if this was how it felt when creating the universe. Very Genesis 1:10 to me.

Never been so happy to see these little guys. I'm about 60 hours in and ready to start gene splicing some fish.

View attachment 509655

lol they really should reevaluate the demo because it made me write this game off completely. I'll at least keep an eye on it now.