The Wine Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kroad

Trakanon Raider
Pinot is awesome, the problem is it doesn't usually show well under 25-30$. Try a Siduri Sonoma County at ~ 22-24$, that is the best value expression of what Pinot can be. You can also look for a Borgogne but that is going to be a crapshoot.

Start with a good wine then breakout the cheapshit stuff when you are too buzzed to tell the difference.
Au bon climate's Santa Barbara Pinot noir blend runs about 20 bucks out here and is our daily drinker. I'd agree about avoiding the low cost French burgundys because they are pretty rough. At the higher end though it's definately an eye opening comparison of the differences between old world and new.

If you like whites, Id recommend trying some Chablis. It's very unique for Chardonnay (very minerally) and you can get a decent bottle in the 30-40 range.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Au bon climate's Santa Barbara Pinot noir blend runs about 20 bucks out here and is our daily drinker. I'd agree about avoiding the low cost French burgundys because they are pretty rough. At the higher end though it's definately an eye opening comparison of the differences between old world and new.

If you like whites, Id recommend trying some Chablis. It's very unique for Chardonnay (very minerally) and you can get a decent bottle in the 30-40 range.
Yea, Santa Barbara and surrounding areas make what is considered quality and lower cost Pinot. The downside for me is I have a strong preference for Russian River Valley and Sonoma Cost styles.

As far as Burgundy itself, Hoate Cotes de Nuits might be in that 20ish price range or lower and still be good. Not much luck finding that in the US though. A Borgogne from a good producer in the north may also hit this, but likely range higher.

Chablis is ok, doesn't seem to taste like Chardonnay compared to the better known Burgundy styles. The US is starting to get away from the oak and butter bombs which means Sonoma has some fantastic Chard now, I love me some Dutton Goldfield.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
every single woman here in australia drinks sauvingnon blanc. even the pregnant ones. look for brands from the marlborough region of new zealand.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I like Monkey Bay if I'm drinking a sav blanc, but I almost never drink Sav Blanc

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Last week I went there :

They tour in cities in France every years, you can taste all the wines (and champagne) you want, there is hundreds of stands, and you can buy them - most are between 5 and 15 Euros.
Bought only 6 bottles but left mildly drunk
tongue.png

For those that don't like red wine, try something easy like Julenias or Moulin-?-Vent, cheap (well, in France at least) and surprisingly good for a Beaujolais. Beaujolais are the worst French wines usually, if some restaurant try to sell you great French wine at high price and it is a Beaujolais, like one tried to sell me in USA (seriously were they stupid or awfully incompetent to try that with a French?), you can insult insult them and leave.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
French wines are quality to a much lower price (but only when IN France) than wines in the USA. A bottle of 7Euro wine there will totally blow away anything 10$ here. The only wines that are drinkable in the 10$ range IMHO are Zinfindels and Rose here which is a shame.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
My go to table wine recently is matua Pinot noir 2013. It's a totally drinkable wine for 10 bucks. Value is really high on this one

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
My go to for table wine would probably trend more towards a Barberra, Langhe Nebbiolo, or Dolcetto. They are all excellent wines for lower cost. That or old vine zin is always a enjoyable Drink. Rose replaces it in the summer with Tavel being the best but there are lots of options for dry rose.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I drink a lot of zinfandel just because for whatever reason it's usually very drinkable even below $10 a bottle. Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin is like $8 a Walmart and it's really not bad at all while some of the other stuff in that price range is horrible.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The other day I drank a white merlot for the first time. Loved it.
The "white" version of red wine is an abomination. Why not just take some wine and pour water in it? It will taste the same as that shit and you'll have twice as much of it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The "white" version of red wine is an abomination. Why not just take some wine and pour water in it? It will taste the same as that shit and you'll have twice as much of it.
In the case of a white merlot the only thing that makes it white, I assume anyway, is that when the juice is pressed it never comes in contact with the skin. I don't know exactly how that effects flavor but calling it "water" is a bit ridiculous since it's the same type of grape.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The flavor and the tannins come from the skin. It tastes like watered down wine IMO.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Friend of mine that works at the winery just sent me a summer gift.

12 bottles, 4 of each.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Picked up a few nice bottles of Bordeaux for special occasions. The mouton will lay down for 10-15 years, the others will drink in the short term.
rrr_img_113196.jpg