Thoughts on wills?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm updating my will in two weeks and I'm wondering if anyone else had any thoughts? I know most of you are married or have kids. I have neither. Assuming I outlive my parents I don't know what else to do. My sister owns 49% of the land I have and care take for so she gets that 49% no matter what. She's not getting any extra since she's currently seeking to sue me or whatever.

I have currently have a college fund contributiopn in it for my 3 nieces/nephews. I tried to work a deal with the nature conservancy for part of my land with one of the largest stands of longleaf pine in this part of the country. However they didn't like my restrictions and such.

Thinking of the longleaf fund and the American Chestnut foundation.

I don't know what else to look for and the gotchas? I have a will currently and I had it looked at by another attorney after I had it done.

Any tips or anything else?

iannis

Musty Nester
They are pretty straightforward from everything I know. If your sister is trying to sue you alive she will no doubt try to sue the estate. So maybe you find a foundation that will fight her, and let them know that they might have to.

Borzak

She wants to sue for just enough that she would be 50/50. I manage the property for timber and wildlife and according to the estate when I inherited it I could technically charge her for it, something I haven't done.

I surveyed out the property into 51/49 and gave her the crap part but there's no guarantee that will hold up.

I have to look into options for my parents and grandmother as well since both houses/land are in my name as well. I don't know what I'm going to do with the land at this point. I was just going to make donations to the 2 mentioned foundations.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Set up a trust with the organizations that they will maintain whatever for your parents and grandmother and the accounts for your nieces/nephews in exchange for getting your 51% of the land when parents and grandma are gone. They should already have lawyers on retainer if they are big orgs that can handle that no problem.

Borzak

I'm not donating any land to any of the foundations. I had originally wanted to do a portion for the nature conservancy but they didn't like my "strings". Thier end will be stricly money.

The land I haven't decided who to give to, possibly a few friends and divide it up. My parents and grandparents don't have any interest in that land. I own the land that they now live on and both houses is all. 2.5 acres for my parents and 7 for my grandmother. That's an entirely separate issue. It was put in my name to keep my sister from getting it years and years ago.

The land that I got and now own 51% of is separate from all of that. She lives a pretty good life off what I have done with it. From timber sales, hunting fees, and 2 oil leases over the last 9 years. She's never set foot on it or within 300 miles of it.

Not to mention I doubled the size of it with a 3 way land swap with the US Forest service and a timber company and gained mineral rights on what I traded for. She's just sees it as a one time quick payment she can get if she had enough control to see her 49%.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sell it all, spend it on cocaine and hookers.

Wills are odd, everything in my family is set up in trusts, 100yr ones iirc. My dad and I spent about a year with our attorney setting it up.

If you have no real family, get all the legal sit settled before you go.

Is this like when someone quits a game, and we all ask for your shit, or is that not kosher? Lol

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
My will is as simple and as plain as dirt, presently. Everything goes to my parents, and my sister is the executor. Obviously I'll have to change it if/when kids or marriage comes in to play, but for the time being I kept it simple. I would expect my parents would make sure the girlfriend is kept care of, possibly giving her my condo and money to get by on. And possibly setting up trusts or whatever for my 4 nieces/nephews. My parents certainly don't need the money. But whatever, that's up to them. I'll be dead.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Make sure the people you want to give your nfa stuff to is allowed to possess it? Some states are dumb and don't have an awb but ban nfa weapons. Washington just legalized suppressors a few years ago.

Borzak

Met with an attorney Friday to discuss having a new will made. He said he had a conflict of interest. Running out of energy to get this done.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Donate to science, Borz. Incidently I need usd 200K for a ph.d. in preshospital care. My sister is also annoying and a lawyer. High-five.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Met with an attorney Friday to discuss having a new will made. He said he had a conflict of interest. Running out of energy to get this done.
What conflict? Unless he's in the will or he already represents one of the beneficiaries.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, why did you hire your sister's attorney? Now he's going to tell her everything.