Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

spronk

FPS noob
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

Director: Martin McDonagh

Cast: Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, John Hawkes, Peter Dinklage, Abbie Cornish, Caleb Landry Jones, Lucas Hedges, Kathryn Newton, Clarke Peters, Zeljko Ivanek, Kerry Condon, Samara Weaving, Nick Searcy, Sandy Martin, Malaya Rivera Drew, Darrell Britt-Gibson, Amanda Warren, Michael Aaron Milligan, Lawrence Turner, Jerry Winsett

Release: 2017-01-01

Plot: A woman takes on the local police department after her daughter is murdered.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

no release date outside of sometime 2017 but the trailer made me laugh, a pretty cool cast too including Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, and Peter Dinklage

she's the redneck John Wick, if John Wick mostly kicked people in the cunt and balls

also as a bonus if you are reading this today (3/23) you can get free tickets to power rangers on Atom ~ Movies, Showtimes, Buy Tickets & More using the code POWERRANGERS or RITAREPULSA at checkout. 1 free ticket per account.

spronk

FPS noob
saw this today, it wasn't that good. it wasn't terrible, but it had a few moments that felt just out of place. for example Woody Harrellson plays the sheriff, and pretty much plays the same character he does in every movie which is fine. His wife though is some hot australian babe. And he's supposed to be the sheriff of a shit kicker missouri town. Like... why the fuck is he married to an australian supermodel? Never find out. Peter Dinklage is in it, and he's kinda ok, but we don't really know anything about his character. Definitely not worth a watch in theaters, maybe at home on netflix when youre bored or something.

Like Lucky Logan, another case of I don't really understand how a pretty average movie is getting 90s score on rotten tomato and 87 on metacritic. Is it because a women is the star (and Francis McD does a fantastic job) but there really isn't a great story in here. It is most definitely not female John Wick, more like ... crappier Fargo in Missouri with only 2 good characters and not much of a story.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
saw this today, it wasn't that good. it wasn't terrible, but it had a few moments that felt just out of place. for example Woody Harrellson plays the sheriff, and pretty much plays the same character he does in every movie which is fine. His wife though is some hot australian babe. And he's supposed to be the sheriff of a shit kicker missouri town. Like... why the fuck is he married to an australian supermodel? Never find out. Peter Dinklage is in it, and he's kinda ok, but we don't really know anything about his character. Definitely not worth a watch in theaters, maybe at home on netflix when youre bored or something.

Like Lucky Logan, another case of I don't really understand how a pretty average movie is getting 90s score on rotten tomato and 87 on metacritic. Is it because a women is the star (and Francis McD does a fantastic job) but there really isn't a great story in here. It is most definitely not female John Wick, more like ... crappier Fargo in Missouri with only 2 good characters and not much of a story.

I saw this too... Best way to describe it is that it felt rushed at best. Lot's of scenes could have used some more time/thought. 'In Bruges' and 'Seven Psychopaths' director = was worth a shot but save it for a Netflix watch for sure.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
peter dinklage is a mid-tier actor at best, who got a perfect role in tyrion. Tyrion is one of the ONLY likable and trust-able characters in show where everyone is distinct shades of gray. we know we like him because one of the first things we see him do is slap joffrey.

i like peter dinklage, but let's not overblow his acting chops. he didn't get that role because he's a master thespian, he got that roll because he's a dwarf that can remember his lines.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

not sure what to tell you if you thought it was going to be a "Female john wick"....

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
One of the best movies i watched this year. Normally fall asleep from being worn out but this kept us enganged. A++

Not as amazing or intense as far as Prisoners with Jackman and gyllenhaal but one of those under the radar movies that keep sucking you in

The acting was fantastic but Rockwell stole the show as usual

Last edited:
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This movie was great. There are so many shithead characters to hate that you feel very satisfied that most of them get truly fucked over.

I love Sam Rockwell and he didn't disappoint.

This was 100x better than Lady Bird, which was just a shitty coming of age movie about a mostly shitty kid.

sole

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't expecting this to be as funny as it was. Some serious laugh out loud moments.

Rockwell was amazing as always.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Movie was great. Funny at times, but mostly really fucking dark.

Lol at woodys chess move.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Man this movie was just great. Everyone in it is a terrible cunt and it all just works out so beautifully.

Woodys chess movie was such a perfect fuck you.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This was a good movie, but it had multiple problems I felt.

The Frances McDormand character is just an irredeemably bad person which makes it hard to root for her. The idea that these billboards are enough to turn the community upside down yet someone assaulting a dentist with their own drill, kicking high school students in the nuts in front of the school, throwing someone out a second story window, and firebombing the police station results in no action whatsoever is pretty ludicrous.

All that makes it hardly worth mentioning the fact that somehow a couple molotov cocktails from across the street cause a brick facade building to be instantly totally engulfed in flames and there is apparently no back door to the police station so the deputy has no choice but to run through 10 foot flames to get out.

Compared to all that, things like the women all being either incredibly hot, young and stupid, or old and complete sociopaths, or the men all being bumbling idiots (this is standard in movies these days) doesn't even seem to merit pointing out.

I did like Peter Dinklage's character quite a bit. The acting was very good in general, especially Sam Rockwell although his character's complete transformation following a letter from his boss might be a little bit of a stretch. The sheriff's letters were very nice and funny as well, unlikely as it might be that a small town sheriff would be able to write that well. I also enjoyed a lot of the funny dialog.

Not a bad movie, but the fact that it was probably #2 in consideration for best picture says this wasn't a great year for movies.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked it, had its flaws but made me laugh out loud a couple of times, well acted and Rockwell as usual was awesome. the one thing that really bothered me though was,

nothing happened to Dickson, this just totally took me out of the movie, even in some shitkicker backwater southern town and even if the cops are corrupt which they didn't actually seam to be there is no way he throws the guy from the window like that without legal repercussions.

• 1Like

Szlia

I enjoyed the movie but I find it surprising you can get an Academy Award nomination for Best Screenplay with stuff like
the soldier from out of state who is introduced in that scene where he breaks stuff at the gift shop to legitimize him as a suspect, but the whole scene makes no sense at all once he has been exonerated.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
the best I can validate it in my mind is that if what Dickson overheard is accurate and he likes raping and burning hadjis then he would get off on messing with her because her daughter's case is similar to the things he did, fucked up people get pleasure out of hurting the families of their victims and she can be a stand in... but that might just be me fitting into my internal narrative.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
the best I can validate it in my mind is that if what Dickson overheard is accurate and he likes raping and burning hadjis then he would get off on messing with her because her daughter's case is similar to the things he did, fucked up people get pleasure out of hurting the families of their victims and she can be a stand in... but that might just be me fitting into my internal narrative.

I think you're right, but it's still weak writing. You're looking for a rapist and another serial rapist just happens to be in town and decides to threaten people he doesn't even know and tell rape stories within earshot of the deputy? Sure, that happens all the time.

• 1Solidarity
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database