Trying to help my nephew with a math problem.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
So my nephew has a project in school. Part of the project is finding a single linear equation for the amount of time spent in a line for a ride on a coaster. It needs to be able to handle a variable amount of people with a fixed ride time, and fixed number of people in the cars on the ride.

My brain is fried from a week long training I had to do for new hires and sadly his parents are even worse off than I am. Please help hes kinda freaking out, and I apparently suck at math.

Ancallagon

time spent in line = X
Number of people in line = Y
Number of people in cars = C
Time of ride = T

x = Y/(C/T)

napkin mathing it in my head, but that sounds right. If you have a ride that is 1 minute in duration (including loading and unloading I guess?) and it fits 20 people on the cars, it's going through 20 people / minute. Then take 100 people in line, it takes 5 minutes to get through everyone. Change values as you see fit.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
time spent in line = X
Number of people in line = Y
Number of people in cars = C
Time of ride = T

x = Y/(C/T)

napkin mathing it in my head, but that sounds right. If you have a ride that is 1 minute in duration (including loading and unloading I guess?) and it fits 20 people on the cars, it's going through 20 people / minute. Then take 100 people in line, it takes 5 minutes to get through everyone. Change values as you see fit.
That looks right. Except that "T" should be duration of time between cars on the coaster, not the duration of the ride itself. Assuming that the coaster has more than one grouping of seats going around it at one time.

Mythas 5thboardnow

You guys are awesome thanks! I was thinking it would be something along those lines but I couldn't put it into a single equation

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You should just tell your nephew to bookmark rerolled for future reference.

iannis

Musty Nester
Make sure to teach him that the correct answer is 50/50.

Children are our future. But the thing is... I don't give a fuck what happens when I'm dead.