Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

spronk

FPS noob
1.50 star(s) Rating: 1.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Action

Director: Luc Besson

Cast: Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen, Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, Herbie Hancock, Kris Wu, Rutger Hauer, John Goodman, Elizabeth Debicki, Sam Spruell, Alain Chabat, Thom Findlay, Mathieu Kassovitz, Jonas Bloquet, Sand Van Roy, Sasha Luss, Louis Leterrier, Olivier Megaton, Sam Douglas, Aymeline Valade, Diva Cam, Eric Lampaert, Alexandre Willaume-Jantzen, Gavin Drea, Réginal Kudiwu, David Michie, Marion Roussignol, Emilie Pommelet, Roman Blomme, Emilie Livingston, Alexandre Nguyen, Aurelien Gaya, Mikael Buxton, Yun Lai, Anders Heinrichsen, Tristan Robin, Yun-Ping He, James Flynn, David Clark, Ben Mauro, Jean-François Lenogue, Peter Eberst, Peter Hudson, Xavier Giannoli, Eric Rochant, Benoît Jacquot, Gérard Krawczyk, Pierre Cachia, David Saada, Hippolyte Burkhart-Uhlen, Florian Guichard, Stéphane Mir, Thierry Barthe, Pier Ewudu, Andrew Tisba, Yannick Lorté, Charly Akakpo, Clément Beauruelle, Audrey Kamp, Anthony Hornez, Julien Bleitrach, Maxime Babara Touré, Pauline Hoarau, Barbare Weber Scaff, Marilhéa Peillard, Lee Delong, Judith Brunett, Marie Barrouillet, Cindy Bruna, Sija Titko, Daphnée Kbidi, Nick Marzock, Ola Rapace, Stefan Konarske, Mahamadou Coulibaly, Julien Marlin, Yvan Lucker, Tom Hygreck, Abel Jafri, Laurent Ferraro, Jean-Robert Lombard, Leonid Glushchenko, Akim Chir, Laminé Ba, Paul Lefèvre, Guillaume Maison, Jean-Christophe Brizard, Patrick Cottet-Moine, Irene Palko, Tonio Descanvelle, Velvet D'Amour, Doug Rand, Grant Moninger, Robbie Rist, Christopher Swindel, Claire Tran, Alain Etoundi, Fayet Nsumoto, Kristina Kachinskaya, Veronika Khayla, Sissi Duparc, Noam Frost, Pauline Serreau, Philippe Rigot, Étienne Ménard, Peter Lamarque, Maximilien Seweryn, Zouheir Zerhouni, Tristan Zerbib, Elliot Jenicot, Staiv Gentis, Chloe Hollings, Aguendia Fotabong, Tania Dessources, Gaëtan Cotigny, François Bredon, Cédric Chevalme

Release: 2017-07-21

Plot: The adventures of time-traveling agent, Valerian, and his sidekick, Laureline.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Looks awesome. When I first saw the city scene, I was like...that looks a lot like Fifth Element, then shortly after it's like...."from the director of Fifth Element"...okay well that makes sense then. Only complaint I see, is the two protagonists ....I dunno...didn't really feel it, but granted, this is just a trailer so we'll see.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't like the dude at all, he is sort of like the quintessential emo faggot in my mind's eye. The chick is clearly hot as fuck, but I don't know that I trust her acting ability much (hello Enchantress, I'm looking at you).

I'll still watch it at some point, probably not in theaters unless I hear from you guys that it is even remotely as good as The Fifth Element, but I'll definitely watch it because of Besson. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and those two actors really pull it off. I'm not counting on it though.

• 1Solidarity

Malkav

French Madman
I'm dubious as fuck.

1) The only good Besson movies were Le Grand Bleu, Leon (The Professional), Nikita and the Fifth Element. He has not directed anything worthwhile in years. The dude is like the french Georges Lucas if you know what I mean.
2) Cara is only getting roles in movies because her family is rich as fuck and is paying for it.
3) I know the comics. They are definitely not some action nonsense. Besson seems like he want to turn it into Mass Effect or something.

That said, the trailer was not bad. I'm staying dubious though, it's just a trailer.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
You guys are a buzz kill, I'm hyped, I agree about the casting, especially emo boy, but the visuals look awesome and I love sifi. Plusses it has John Goodman in there somwhere. I don't know the comic so I'm gonna go in blind and see how it is.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Fifth Element was not good after the opening 30-40 minutes.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
this is going to be as bad as that mila kunis/dude playing a dog-human hybrid one

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
this is going to be as bad as that mila kunis/dude playing a dog-human hybrid one

icettankgirl.jpg

?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i knew this was familiar, this was French anime Time Jam (source material is Valérian and Laureline comics)

Malkav

French Madman
Yup, the cartoon was based on the same comics.

Fun fact, Europacorp which produced the cartoon is Besson's company.

He really loves the comics but I'm really not sure he is the best man to adapt it.

spronk

FPS noob

nothing could be as bad as Jupiter Rising

also don't forget this brings the acting power of Rihanna in a blond wig to the screen

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This gives off huge Jupiter Rising vibes. I mean, I loves me some hard Scifi, but I dunno about this.

Why do both of the leads look like they are 14?

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
no idea what this is about from that trailer, but it looks really cool

• 1Like

Szlia

For reference: Valérian and Laureline - Wikipedia

I remember reading some of those and enjoying them back in... I want to say the mid-'80s, maybe late '80s as a teen in a public library for children/teenagers. Needless to say that memory is pretty fuzzy.

Thinking about it it's surprising that a number of these franco-belgian comics have not yet been converted to films or TV shows. There is a lot of fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction of high quality that would lend themselves well to the cinematic treatment. I mean... Thorgal please!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Angel-A wasn't terrible, and Lucy was bordering on okay.

Man I'm trying real hard to defend Besson but he has made it real difficult. Then again he did break up with Milla, I like to think of that as a negative.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database