VHS Capture

Salshun_sl

shitlord
If I needed to convert VHS to mpeg, DVD, what have you, any ideas?

Capture card is an option, obviously, what is recommended?

Cybsled

I used to have an old Plextor ConvertX (external capture device), but it's not compatible with Win 7 so I can't use it anymore. It used to work fairly well, although for some reason when it captured from VHS there was always a distortion line at the bottom of the capture.

If you're want to do it lazy man style, they sell VHS/DVD recorder hybrids where you plop the tape in one side and the DVD-R in the other side and it does it automatically. Those go for $150 ish from what I've seen at places like Costco. Most capture cards or external devices are going to have analog inputs vs. coaxial. Awhile back I tried to look for options and found a few in the $50-$80 range, but no clue on the quality of them. You can find them on Amazon and at Best Buy pretty readily.

The big thing is to make sure whatever device you get has an efficient capture codec, especially if your plan is to xfer old home movies that take up an entire 2-4 hour+ VHS tape.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I don't recall if the haupaugge <sp> has inputs that can do it but that would be the easiest option if it does.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Depending on how much you have to convert, it might be worth it to take it somewhere to have it transfered.

Cybsled

I know places like Costco will do it, but they charge like $20 per 2 hr tape or something. If you only have 1 or 2 tapes, it might worth it. If you have lots, you'll save more money (but not time) doing it yourself.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Alternately, but a unit from Costco, copy all your VHS tapes, return it the next week. A little dishonest, but you're pretty much never going to use the thing again once all your tapes are converted. No use holding onto the device forever.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
If your VCR can output S-Video, you can grab an old AGP video card with Video In likethisone and use it to rip your stuff.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you're want to do it lazy man style, they sell VHS/DVD recorder hybrids where you plop the tape in one side and the DVD-R in the other side and it does it automatically. Those go for $150 ish from what I've seen at places like Costco. Most capture cards or external devices are going to have analog inputs vs. coaxial. Awhile back I tried to look for options and found a few in the $50-$80 range, but no clue on the quality of them. You can find them on Amazon and at Best Buy pretty readily.
Last summer my dad decided to convert all our old VHS tapes (family movies plus other misc. videos) into DVD format. He went to K-Mart and bought one of those converting machines and ran it 24/7 for a week. After he was finished he returned it for a full refund. Free conversion. Normally I'd feel bad about doing something like but fuck K-Mart and the ghetto/homeless people who live there.

So that may be an option for anyone who is looking for an easy way to convert on the cheap.