Video Card Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
Didn't see a vidya card thread yet, so here we go.

The average price is still lingering around ~$450 for a gtx 1070. Think it will go down soon? When's a good time to buy? I usually go with ASUS/EVGA/Gigabyte for cards. I'll be upgrading from a 560 ti... so kinda chomping at the bit.

Jovec

?
I think it will be 2-3 months before the prices drop. There is a lot of pent up demand for new GPUs since they've been stuck on 22nm for so long and supply seems to be low.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm bad at patience so I bought a 1080 the first week it came out. Still have not seen prices drop much. You could consider a 980ti, those will be at "get these out of the door now" prices and still a very good card.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Couldn't we have named this something a bit more 'general' like Video Cards Thread? We don't have to literally copy the names from ReRolled. ;)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I want a non reference RX 480. I want it now!

I am almost eyeballing a r9 390, but i dont think its going to scale as well as the 480

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Couldn't we have named this something a bit more 'general' like Video Cards Thread? We don't have to literally copy the names from ReRolled. ;)

Edit the title then, staff member PIG

<3

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Done. That was a bigger pain in the ass than the old forum.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?
You could consider a 980ti, those will be at "get these out of the door now" prices and still a very good card.

It's a hard call, assuming 980/980ti pricing is attractive. Roughly speaking, 1060=980 and 1070=980ti. 900 series has good power efficiency, but Nvidia has a history of limited driver support/optimization for older hardware. AMD is the opposite. Their older hardware seems to scale better than NVs, but they have bad power consumption in their older 200/300 lines.

If one tends to update GPUs less frequently, it's probably worth it to wait a few months for prices to drop (or save up a little extra) and buy the latest generation.

Jovec

?
This only for 970s? I got some email from NewEgg saying there was a class action for 980 class boards, which I have. Is there another class action suit or did they get that wrong?

It should only be for the 970s. I got a Newegg email for some 960 I bought, so I think it's an error, or at least, the suit is casting too wide a net.

The 970s did have 4GB of VRAM, they just had much slower access to the last 512MB due to the memory bus structure.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with NVIDIA regarding the GTX 970 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement bbclaims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team

just got this from Newegg

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Got my notice from Newegg. I'll happily take the $30, though as in all class action lawsuits, the real winners are the lawyers.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Nvidia GTX 980 and 960 lawsuit notifications sent to Newegg customers - PC Invasion

Damn....I just bought a 980 two months ago.

Checked my email and sure enough from Newegg:

We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with NVIDIA regarding the GTX 980 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement claims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I escalated the 970 shit with Amazon. Gonna see what they say.

I have the 1070 now and holy fuck balls it's a good card. I haven't had a bleeding edge card (I know, not a 1080) in years and it feels good. Avg 210-250 fps in overwatch on max settings. About 97 Avg in towns in wow.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I escalated the 970 shit with Amazon. Gonna see what they say.

I have the 1070 now and holy fuck balls it's a good card. I haven't had a bleeding edge card (I know, not a 1080) in years and it feels good. Avg 210-250 fps in overwatch on max settings. About 97 Avg in towns in wow.

Weren't you saying in another thread it was 55'ish in towns?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If I put the slider on 10/10 it's like 55ish in towns. I turn up mostly everything except some major drags (shadows)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The average price is still lingering around ~$450 for a gtx 1070. Think it will go down soon?

I've already seen a few 1070s available briefly for under $400 after mail-in-rebate. Jet.com had one brand that was around $360 after rebate, Newegg had an ASUS 1070 for like $385 after a special paypal discount, etc.

Seems like the prices are already dropping a little bit, it should become more common to see them under $400 in the next couple months.