Wall art ideas

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I've been looking for some art and things to decorate the walls of my apartment with but I've been having a tough time finding anything I like since most art seems to be designed for women. Any ideas or suggestions where to look?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Art collector here.. I don't get what you mean by "most art is designed for women". Even a great oil on canvas floral isn't necessarily feminine imho... What kind of art do you like? Traditional paintings or more modern art? I've got everything from Japanese wood block prints, oil paintings, and some cool LED type modern stuff.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's time to exit the closet, Frenzied. We are accepting of all lifestyles here.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Landscapes are usually pretty neutral stuff if that's your thing, just gotta avoid the more flowery shit, though it doesn't necessarily make it feminine.

We have some prints of WW2 propaganda pieces on my BF's wall as well as maps and prints of paintings from the civil war. Not sure if they still qualify as art necessarily, but can still fill up your wall.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Slightly related, does anyone have a good online store for custom framing?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's time to exit the closet, Frenzied. We are accepting of all lifestyles here.

Baby steps for me bro. I've still got a ways before I line up behind you to suck down Vanessa's spooge.

Some of the artists/paintings I have:

JD MILLER l Reflectionist - JD MILLER (Iris reflection)

Some good examples of nice Japanese wood block prints

Fuji Arts Japanese Prints - View of the Headquarters at the Battle of Shizugatake in the Taiheiki, 1867 by Yoshitoshi (1839 - 1892)
Fuji Arts Japanese Prints - Fragrance, 1939 by Jinbo Tomoyo (1902 - 1994)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Baby steps for me bro. I've still got a ways before I line up behind you to suck down Vanessa's spooge.

Some of the artists/paintings I have:

JD MILLER l Reflectionist - JD MILLER (Iris reflection)

Some good examples of nice Japanese wood block prints

Fuji Arts Japanese Prints - View of the Headquarters at the Battle of Shizugatake in the Taiheiki, 1867 by Yoshitoshi (1839 - 1892)
Fuji Arts Japanese Prints - Fragrance, 1939 by Jinbo Tomoyo (1902 - 1994)
I like the battle one, but I don't $1200 like it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Landscapes are usually pretty neutral stuff if that's your thing, just gotta avoid the more flowery shit, though it doesn't necessarily make it feminine.

We have some prints of WW2 propaganda pieces on my BF's wall as well as maps and prints of paintings from the civil war. Not sure if they still qualify as art necessarily, but can still fill up your wall.
I like the idea for civil war maps and the WW2 propaganda

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, that 3 piece samurai one is bad-ass.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've been buying Dali prints for the past 4 years - I think they look great, are good sizes (15x22") and relatively affordable (though there are a TON of knock offs floating around, so buyer beware). I'm 2 short of the "Songs of Solomon" series now (they're mostly conversation starters).

What I was doing when we were first decorating our house, was going to old bookstores and looking for older maps (state of Tejas, City Maps, etc) and buying them cheap and putting them in fairly nice frames. All in like $150 and they look great - I still have several hanging up in my office. Matboardandmore makes quality, real wood (though cheap) frames and custom mats and does a fine job imo.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My avatar image is also a framed print in my living room, it's called "Pacific" by Alex Colville and inspired a shot in "Heat" which is one of my favourite films.

I could never find it as a poster so had to find a high enough res image to be printed as a one off.

Art should be as individual as possible. Don't buy images that are mass produced or cliche (eg Banksy prints), find something that fits your personality and is as unique as possible

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
63159dd70648f1a25ebdf6102748df56.jpg

Did O-ren Ishii for the wife and I have a decent print by the same artist of Luke on Tatooine. Wish I could recall the artist, we just picked them up at a local Christmas Art show.

project-image3.jpg

Got this triplet for the living room....artist is Nick Derington.

None of it is fine art, but I'm still 13 going on 38, so whatever.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been buying Dali prints for the past 4 years - I think they look great, are good sizes (15x22") and relatively affordable (though there are a TON of knock offs floating around, so buyer beware). I'm 2 short of the "Songs of Solomon" series now (they're mostly conversation starters).

I'm a complete art noob, but this confused me. You're buying prints, so what the fuck is a knock off? Isn't the print already basically a knock off?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Our living room wall art is different pictures of DC during cherry blossom seas9ns we took printed onto wood.

Was cheaper than buying and framing some pieces we really like.

We still need a decent piece for the dining room

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm a complete art noob, but this confused me. You're buying prints, so what the fuck is a knock off? Isn't the print already basically a knock off?

Print is a misnomer in this case, as they are actually original etchings (which is just a way to print - for this example its 1 of 250 original run etchings) done by the artist himself. A knock off "print" is a literal copy of those 250 etchings on arches paper (or similar). The way to tell the difference in this case is the etching itself (no gold dust, hand stenciling/colored pencil work, and a few other ways that are uninteresting unless you're really curious!).

Etching - Wikipedia

Song of Songs of Solomon (portfolio of 12 works) by Salvador Dalí on artnet Auctions

Salvador Dalí Prints and Multiples - 378 For Sale at 1stdibs