Washington D.C.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
going on business In August leaving Aug 2 going to spend the weekend I should be done by early Friday afternoon with what I have to do.

I'll have most of the afternoon Friday, all day Saturday, all day sunday flying back sunday night.

Never been to D.C There a lot to see what should I go see first what places should i prioritize? I know I want to see Smithsonian, and National Air and Space museum. Also places to eat.

Thanks in advance

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you go wandering around/exploring, avoid South East. Also, drink some DC Brau, if you're a beer drinker.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
You gonna have a rental car? The Udvar Hazy center is awesome but it's a bit out of the general DC area.

You gonna have a rental car? The Udvar Hazy center is awesome but it's a bit out of the general DC area.
A bit?
rolleyes.png

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Are you gay? If so, go to JRs. I'd recommend wondering around Dupont Circle and the neighborhoods around there. Might as well make it as exciting as possible. =-po

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
if you sit in dupont circle on a bench with a pizza box with a hole cut in the bottom, you can get a handjob.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
going on business In August leaving Aug 2 going to spend the weekend I should be done by early Friday afternoon with what I have to do.

I'll have most of the afternoon Friday, all day Saturday, all day sunday flying back sunday night.

Never been to D.C There a lot to see what should I go see first what places should i prioritize? I know I want to see Smithsonian, and National Air and Space museum. Also places to eat.

Thanks in advance
Chinatown is cool but the real Chinese food and culture is in Rockville.

Do the US history (military history wing cannot be beat)/Native American/ AeroSpace/and Natural History

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Are you gay? If so, go to JRs. I'd recommend wondering around Dupont Circle and the neighborhoods around there. Might as well make it as exciting as possible. =-po
I've been to DC for a conference very near Dupont Circle twice and never noticed anything especially swishy. Then again, I work in midtown Atlanta. I might just be desensitized.

I will say that I love the Adams Morgan area nearby. I'm straight, and found lots of interesting bars and nightlife. I hear crime is a problem though.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Dupont is the gayer area, but, it's very mixed. I haven't lived in Maryland in several years, but, that was one of the more exciting areas to go to in DC. When I say exciting, I just mean there's a very eclectic crowd.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
Ben's Chili Bowl, Georgetown on M street for shopping/food/walking around, U street at night for a more laid back night life than Dupont/Adams Morgan, monuments for....whatever it is people seem to get out of them (I've never understood the draw, the Washington monument looks ugly as hell right now too).

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I walked like two miles to Ben's Chili Bowl last time I was in town. Totally not worth it, imo. I think nostalgia must be a big factor in their popularity.

Solariss

Golden Squire
I walked like two miles to Ben's Chili Bowl last time I was in town. Totally not worth it, imo. I think nostalgia must be a big factor in their popularity.
Probably... I think it's worth it to check out. Never had a half smoke before, and it was very interesting.. but you can also just get those from street vendors. The chili is pretty good though.

Be careful on Saturday with the Metro system if you end up on some kind of schedule to see the stuff you're interested in. There's widespread track work every weekend and it shits up the whole system without fail - basically be prepared to lose an half an hour to an hour each time if they're working near the stations/lines you need. The trains have to single track and it's laughably bad, sometimes they close entire stations and you have to route around them with shuttles and shit. Should be ok if you're just doing the museums on the national mall.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
I see Ben's as more historically representative of DC's culture than the monuments, the food itself is nice but probably not worth the trip alone. Maybe my recommendation should be to read the Wikipedia page for Ben's and then decide if it's interesting enough to visit
tongue.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People who have spent time in/around DC or grown up/lived in the mid-Atlantic and did countless school field trips and other visits have an easy time saying "the monuments are meh!" But really if you've never been to DC you should see at least Lincoln Memorial and Wash. Monument (yeah its covered in scaffolding now I'm afraid). The Korean and Vietnam war memorials are nearby and actually pretty moving. Jefferson Memorial is cool too. I actually think all this stuff is just as cool to take in after dark now when the summer and full on mid-Atlantic humid heat is upon us.

And then the museums.

There's a lot to take in as a tourist, its really a great tourist city unless you are super jaded about our nation and its government and history. Even so there's some great art and history to absorb without the whole nation's capital aspect.

If you go to the White House there's a place right down the street called the Renwick Gallery which is totally free and worth doing if you enjoy art and museums at all. Old Ebbitt Grill also nearby there if you want a second "say I've done that" traditional DC restaurant choice.