Whiskey

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm looking for a decent $20 bottle of whiskey for the weekend. I normally drink Templeton Rye which is $40 but money is tight right now and I need something a little bit cheaper to drink.

I'll take suggestions too for more expensive whiskey when money frees up a little.

Rime

<Donor>
Tullamore Dew is what I drink, during those rare events that I have to have a drink. Though that is because it was the drink of my Grandfather.

Around $25 for a 750ml bottle.

If you like it, you can try the 12 Year Special ($35ish) or the 10 Year Single ($40+). I have not had the 12 Year, but I have enjoyed a few glasses of the 10 year when visiting my Grandfather.

Urgoslav

Treasured Member
Been drinking Forty Creek: Barrel Select, fairly cheap Canadian whiskey but I've enjoyed it. $20-$25

Forty_Creek_Whisky_Barrel_Select-262x350.jpg

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$20 dollar bottle recommendations:
Rittenhouse 100
1792 ridgemont reserve
Eagle rare

$30 dollar bottles:
Elmer t lee
Rowans creek

$40+ bottles:
Noah's mill
Willett family reserve rye
Blantons

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Check out the liquor thread at the bottom of this page. It has some good suggestions.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Try Canadian Club rye whiskey. It's a lot of bang for the buck.
Even more bang for the buck is Canadian Mist. About 17$ for 1.75 litres. Neither are awesome whiskey, and both are rye based, but they're better than a kick in the head with a frozen boot.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Rebel Yell is good standard affordable whiskey. Costs $20.99 for a handle at my local liquor store. That's my maintstay drinkin' whiskey.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Rebel Yell is good standard affordable whiskey. Costs $20.99 for a handle at my local liquor store. That's my maintstay drinkin' whiskey.
Seconded. Actually a very drinkable bourbon and as good or better than many 40-50 dollar bottles.

If you find yourself with some extra disposable income at some point in the future and you like Rye whiskies I'd recommend Whistle Pig. It'll run you about $80 for a bottle but goddamn is it good.

Tea_sl

shitlord
It's fucking crazy to me that you guys are recommending Canadian club and rebel yell*. Drink what you like, but Jesus.

Recommendations from what I like best to almost as much in the $20 - $25 range:

Elmer T. Lee
Rittenhouse 100
Sazerac Rye
W. L. Weller

I could keep going, but pick one of those.

*rebel yell isn't horrible, but there's much, much better out there. I also can't think of a $40+ bourbon that it would hold a candle to, and I've had nearly all of them.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Early Times is fucking awful, Rebel Yell was my go-to dirt cheap whiskey in college.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I didn't get to try the Templeton when I was in Iowa, is it good?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This stuff is pretty cheap. I don't know if I'd call it great, but it does have the distinction of being mentioned in a couple episodes of Mad Men and it was supposedly drunk by Charles Bukowski. It has high rye content similar to Bulleit so it would be considered a "full bodied" bourbon. If you're used to Crown Royal this stuff will kick your ass.

DSC_0464.jpg

My old Granddad always used to have a bottle of this under the kitchen sink. I never saw him take a drink in my life, but he must have snuck one now and then. I mostly thought it was funny because the only person I knew that drank it matched the name on the bottle.

Tea_sl

shitlord
My granddad also drank the Old Grand Dad. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's hardly good either. Sometimes I buy a handle.

If you gonna drink swill whiskey in the $10 price range, may I recommend you go with scotch. Cheap scotch at least has a pleasant peat smoke flavor to go along with the uhh... generous cuts of swill whiskey.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Cheap scotch is like drinking liquid gravel
This is crap. Sorry, I don't mean disrespect. But no one, not even the very rich, are opening the finest Scotch every time they pour a drink. Try a bunch of cheaper stuff, find what you enjoy, have that on hand. Hence this thread - ask for suggestions. Good idea.

I have very good, very expensive stuff. I don't drink it every time I pour something to sip on.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well to be fair im not a big fan of scotch anyways, so I've had some cheap ones that seemed overly harsh, even good ones are a little rough compared to what i usually drink(whiskey/bourbon)