Wild West Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
A screenshot of Red Dead Redemption 2 supposedly "leaked". But it's actually a screenshot for an upcoming open-world PvP MMO called Wild West Online.

"The creators of Wild West Online expect to launch a $250,000 Kickstarter at the end of the month, with stretch goals tied to additional funding. The team is already working a core version of the game, which they anticipate will arrive later this year regardless. The Kickstarter is simply meant to secure extra funding to expand its features."

"Wild West Online is an open-world PvP MMO that wears its inspirations on its dusty, sun-bleached sleeves. Players will form gangs to either break or defend the law, roam the hinterlands, or settle in for a game of cards at the local saloon."

Wild West Online

TL;DR:
-Open world PvP
-Player driven economy, can specialize as gatherers (prospecting, farming, etc.)
-No overarching progression or skill system planned.
-Players who commit crimes become "Wanted", and become targets for player deputies or bounty hunters.
-Gang system planned (Guilds?)
-Ability to rob and commit heists. Steal from other player's campsites and town shops.
-Might borrow some themes from Survival games.
-No permadeath or overly strict penalties planned.
-Kickstarter stretch goals likely won't be released at launch. Funding used for supplemental development.

img5.jpg

img6.jpg

img7.jpg

3dTiLsuKHo2YEXPXe87nga-650-80.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless they have some amazing gameplay to show off, I can't see myself backing. Based on the interview, it seems like a lot is still in the air...which is a little concerning since it's supposedly releasing this year.

I know they said they won't have traditional quests, but I think (especially in this setting) it would be interesting if there were something like public missions. Where you can work together to complete a task (and split the reward) or fight for the reward all for yourself. For example, imagine a job where you're hired to protect a bank's stagecoach from being robbed by other players.

I don't know if just open world PvP and bounties is compelling enough to keep people playing.

I'm not going to try and speculate too much, this is a setting where you can really let your imagination run wild playing 'what if?' and over-hyping yourself at just the possibilities.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Awesome idea that I'd play if it ever saw the light of day. 250k to an MMO is nothing so im not optimistic

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
this is a setting where you can really let your imagination run wild playing 'what if?' and over-hyping yourself at just the possibilities.
The founding principle upon which every generic crowdfunded MMO destined to failure is built.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
<Al Swidgen> LFG for hatfield bandits
<Wu> ****sukka!
<Dan> WTS old hat from dead fat guy I just beat down
<Garontik General> WTF they changed my first name!
<hErZt> WTB all gold and land pst

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The founding principle upon which every generic crowdfunded MMO destined to failure is built.

Definitely. I'm feeling that pain a bit with Crowfall. I think (or atleast hope) it will likely shape up okay in the end. But my vision for what the game could/should have been when I backed is definitely different from what they're planning.

Which is why I'm unlikely to back pretty much anything now, unless they can show off some impressive (actual) gameplay that completely blows me away.

• 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What the MMO genre needed was another open world PVP MMO with generic crafting systems and borrowing themes from survival games.

My guess is the 250k isn't their budget but just a goal to use Kickstarter to get the name of the game out there as a marketing mechanic.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
My guess is the 250k isn't their budget but just a goal to use Kickstarter to get the name of the game out there as a marketing mechanic.

For sure. They said the "core" game is releasing this year, and that most of the stretch goals are going to be delivered as post-launch content. Which actually sounds somewhat reasonable and realistic as far as Kickstarter goes.

It's also interesting that the screenshot was "leaked" as a Red Dead Redemption 2 screenshot, hyping everyone up for that type of game...and the next day that gets corrected by PC Gamer magazine with an *exclusive* interview.

Either insanely lucky coincidence, or some pretty masterful marketing.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
DJ2 is the publisher. It's being developed by 612 Games...which there is literally no information about except that their team "contains veterans from League of Legends and Crysis".

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
DJ2 is the publisher. It's being developed by 612 Games...which there is literally no information about except that their team "contains veterans from League of Legends and Crysis".
Will they let Graves smoke his cigar this time?

• 1Like

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck I hope this is even somewhat good. Can never figure out why the Wild West hasn't really been done as a MMO before.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
While it would be awesome, I am not very optimistic. 250k seems like an insanely low number and someone said they want to release this year? Yeah, no.

Also that article does mention some of the stretch goals and I did chuckle when the author mentioned the first one is adding women to be playable. I worry for a studio if you cannot handle putting both men and women as playable, just screams very super limited to start(if it starts) and will actually turn into a game months/years down the road IF they can get money upfront first from customers. At least they are honest about it it seems, instead of dragging it along adding more and more as they get more money in a endless development cycle.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The team is already working a core version of the game, which they anticipate will arrive later this year regardless. The Kickstarter is simply meant to secure extra funding to expand its features.

okp66FD.gif

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

muiy

Molten Core Raider
I've always felt the Wild West was a good setting for a permadeath MMO given that so much of the game would likely be economy based and it would be reasonable to set up wills and family trees to mitigate the pain of dying. Additionally, a Wild West game would naturally include town centers and justice systems, which would mitigate some of the inherent loneliness of permadeath games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
I've always felt the Wild West was a good setting for a permadeath MMO
Yeah, it really is.

The fact that the devs are eschewing a conventional system of character advancement but not considering permadeath tells me that they don't have the brains, let alone the balls, to do the wild west theme any justice.

• 1Like

salumeth

Trakanon Raider
I really wish someone would make a wild west style MMO, it seems like there would be a lot of opportunity there.