"Wool" series by Hugh Howey...

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Just finished the seventh installment. This is some amazing shit. I just hope they figure out a way to do a movie/mini-series that does it justice.

If you haven't read it go get the Omnibus now.

Grumpy

Molten Core Raider
I agree, an excellent read. Just finished the Omnibus a week or so ago and already pining for more.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I picked up the wool 1-5 omnibus while it was on sale at audible for $4, this thread makes me glad that I did

Simas_sl

shitlord
Has anyone read this? I haven't but I'll probably pick it up soon. This article piqued my interest. It's one of those self published success stories. It started as a short story and grew into a serial. Now it's collected in a book.

When bookstore employee and indie author Hugh Howey published his short story ?Wool? as a 99-cent e-book on Amazon in July of 2011, he wasn?t banking on the story transforming his career. He didn?t even post a link to the story on his own website. But ?Wool,? about a post-apocalyptic future in which society has been forced to live underground in a vast silo, quickly became the most popular thing he had ever written. By the end of October, the story had made it on the Kindle sci-fi best-seller list.
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/b...s_to_fans.html

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Friend of mine read them and said they were decent. Worth reading and fairly entertaining, but "light fare" so to speak. I intend to read them soon, but haven't yet.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Hugh Howey is up to 8 books now and is working on the 9th in this series. They are written in short story format and follow the lives of various "silo" dwellers, think Fallout Vault societies but on a gargantuan scale with hundreds of levels, redundant life support systems and thousands of occupants. The people in these vaults have lived for so many generations underground that they are completely ignorant of humanities past (save for 1-2 select individuals), all that they know is that they cannot leave as the surface of the world is a blasted, poisonous wasteland. All they can see of it is through a view screen on the uppermost level of the silo which has shown the same devastation for the past several hundred years.

I have read all 8 and really enjoyed them and although some are better than others they are all related and are easy to blast through quickly. He paints an engaging portrait of daily life within the silos and introduces some fairly decent main characters, struggles and mysteries along the way. I highly recommend picking the series up if anyone is on the fence or is interested in some good light reading.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone read this? I haven't but I'll probably pick it up soon.
Yes, I've read the omnibus and first shift. The omnibus was fantastic, one of the best books I read in 2012 ( for reference, I read ~300 in 2012 ). I highly recommend it.

I didn't like first shift as much, but it was still decent.

Wintermute_sl

shitlord
Loved Wool. Reminded me of Shirley Jackson. I was really pleased because I feel like I haven't read a well thought out dystopia in a while. I started reading First Shift but I just can't get into it as much.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished the 1-5 Omnibus, good stuff. Are the others worth picking up?

Read that the author worked in a bookstore or something before self publishing on Amazon and now he is making 6 figures some months from book sales, crazy.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
reading the books after the omnibus seems to me like watching the new star wars movies. you kinda know where it's heading. well, just started first shift today, so i could be completely wrong about this
wink.png

wink.png

wink.png

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Just a quick rant. I just came from Barnes & Noble. The online price is $9, and the store price is $15. This is the last time I go into a store to make a purchase. It's fucking stupid that it's more expensive to buy it in a store, especially when stores are shutting down.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
finished first shift (6th part) yesterday and it was kinda disappointing after the great omnibus.

I thought Howey did great with Sheriffs story. Building hope and then twisting it around two times was genius. And now, in First Shift, you figure out about halfway through the book that Donald = Troy, and for me that took everything out of the second half of the book. The grand finale was bland at best, because you knew for some time how it would play out.

Btw: does anyone think it's an accident that Howey chose the names "Troy" and "Helen"? I am not smart enough to figure it out. (If this gets explained in 2nd or 3rd Shift, disregard)

mysterion_sl

shitlord
finished 2nd shift yesterday, and it's waaaaay better than 1st. he answered my question about the names, although i am still kinda confused.
i had the impression the names they get are randomly assigned, since they cant seem to remember anything anyway. which is also kinda confusing, i thought only traumatic experiences are suppressed. so why is it so hard to remember all the good stuff too?

anyway, started 3rd shift already. didnt like the first chapter
he starts writing from jimmys pov, and then somewhere in the first chapter, right before his mother appears, he mentions that all were going to die. how would jimmy know anything about the troubles the silo is in?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I just started reading these after reading Simas's article. This shit is quality.