Beer Brewing Thread

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
Full grain is the way to go! way more control over color, flavor, etc. The above photo is a 5 gallon bucket with ~24lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch of stout.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Getting ready to keg a batch of Duchesse de Bourgogne clone from northern brewer, my first sour. I normally do two batches back to back when I get out all my brewing stuff and clean it, but I got lazy this time. Probably a doubly bad call because I don’t see this beer as something my friends and I will pound down in a session or two. The smell and color seem pretty close to the real deal, so I’m fascinated to see how it tastes.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A buddy of mine was downsizing and gave me two 5 gallon carboys, tubing, blow off valves, and a bottle of starsan.... 2 years ago :D

My initial idea was to make a single vessel 'cider' with apple juice, maple syrup, and LP5xx. Just never got to it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Have not updated in a while but brewed a whole bunch of shit then the weather got too warm. All the beers I made in the last year were really great. Both Wife and kid loved them all. But I do not have means to do temp control ferment yet. I need to get a dedicated chest freezer for that shit. Just have not bothered yet. But just this week I got a fermzilla 35L pressure fermentor which im experimenting with right now. Got a lager going under 15psi with a spunding valve that shipped with the pressure kit at 75F. 34/70 lager with german pilsner malt and some rice, my go to for lagers and even pseudo lagers using good ole US-05. This one I did with Columbus and cascade hops at around 23 IBU. From what I have been reading the pressure ferment is supposed to suppress the yeast esters and sulfur so it still comes out clean with no off flavors. I will still lager this stuff in my fridge for a few weeks after primary is done in my keg.

Tried to make some hard seltzer using some Kveik Lutra and 5 lbs of corn sugar. Fermented this in my living room at about 75F but I think it should have been hotter, like in the garage at 85F because it got a nasty yeast smell to it so it was definitely yast under stress. Still drinkable but Next time I will use the trusty US-05, fuck that Kveik shit. It turned out really good, nice and clear and tasted just like seltzer, but the smell, it was pretty off putting. Still have 5lbs of corn sugar so I will try next time with some US-05 under some pressure. That was my one big fail this year. All the other stuff I brewed all came out exceptional.

IMG_0280.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users