Coffee Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx

Is this a good starter machine?

i would not buy any gaggia's unless they are used old models

this year there super returns on them b/c the teeflon coating came apart in the tank

(i haven't looked at the issue further)
but yea a gaggia pro or rancilio silvia would be the ones ppl move to when they get very serious

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Lanx Lanx

Is this a good starter machine?

As someone who has gone through all the iterations of espresso machine, I ask you a serious question: are you sure you want to grind, tamp, wait for temp, brew, and clean for every espresso shot you pull? Also, it takes practice to pull good shots on manual machines, so we're talking about wasted time and money learning. You have to really want it to use a manual espresso machine. I much prefer the simplicity of my Aeropress these days, since I have a job and kids and not unlimited time to fuck around. Manual espresso machines are basically a hobby rather then an efficient way to get espresso shots without paying infinity dollars for them at a coffee shop.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As someone who has gone through all the iterations of espresso machine, I ask you a serious question: are you sure you want to grind, tamp, wait for temp, brew, and clean for every espresso shot you pull? Also, it takes practice to pull good shots on manual machines, so we're talking about wasted time and money learning. You have to really want it to use a manual espresso machine. I much prefer the simplicity of my Aeropress these days, since I have a job and kids and not unlimited time to fuck around. Manual espresso machines are basically a hobby rather then an efficient way to get espresso shots without paying infinity dollars for them at a coffee shop.
i will second this take as well

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
just get one of these for espresso and dont overthink it. i drink a couple a day

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Espresso-DeLonghi-Aeroccino-Frother/dp/B08VNXCQZ5?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Amazon product ASIN B08VNXCQZ5

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I've tried different machines over the years, and I always come back to my simple manual grinder and press. It's simple, straight forward, and produces really high quality coffee.

If I were to splurge on something stupid to up my game it'd be a very nice electric grinder. I enjoy manually grinding my coffee, cause it's something to do, and matches up well with how long the water takes to heat... but a good electric grinder will have a slightly better grind quality, and will be a lot more convenient if I want to pre-grind a week or two of coffee and leave my manual behind because of a trip or something.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I bought this a few years ago. It has never failed and I'm kinda lax with the cleaning schedule, that is, I don't do it as often as they recommend. I make 2 "lungos" after dinner everyday and have done so from the day we bought it. I use a stand alone frother instead of the steam wand because it's easier and I'm glad I didn't get the fancier one that has the milk container built in. That's too much cleaning. This is super easy to use and reliable. Turn it on, make your selection and push go.

Phillips 3200