Comic Books

Caliane

I feel like if this happened you'd just get more characters that were reskinned versions of the old ones. And even if they weren't, people would still compare them to the originals, likely in a negative light.

For example, how do you make a team of young adults that aren't at least somewhat derivative of the X-Men or Teen Titans? And if you do, will they be entertaining?

Even if you are only talking about specific ones like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (which isn't really fair because there are tons almost as old), those are still archetypal characters so do you just never make a super-strong guy that can fly? Or a super-smart guy that figures shit out and makes gadgets? Or a strong wahmen character? If you do, why not just keep the old ones?
japan says yes. Demonslayer, one punch man, my hero academia, little witch, etc..
if all your stories take place in a different universe, you can tell any story you want.
look at things like Invincible and The Boys. Fresh but, still a bit of derivative.

the shared DC universe, MASSIVELY reduces the stories you can tell.
Wanted, Watchman, etc. we constantly get stuff that ripes off the DCuniverse to tell great stories. but DC itself CAN'T because its latched to that status quo.
There are of course "what ifs" or non canon stuff. like Arkham asylum games, etc. which have their own canon. is that good? is that having your cake and eating it too? Personally I don't think it works well. I think the manga style of just a single canon, and no shared universe works better.