Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't mind watching videos to see gameplay snippets. Like seeing what the magic or weapons might be out there. But I am not going to look at any theorycrafting or where specific stuff is. Really want to go in kinda blind and go looking for stuff and see what I can make work.

This game seems to have a fuckton of crafting and lots of weapon/magic variety in this. As well as weapon attack stills like that spin attack we saw earlier. It's going to be a trip.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't mind watching videos to see gameplay snippets. Like seeing what the magic or weapons might be out there. But I am not going to look at any theorycrafting or where specific stuff is. Really want to go in kinda blind and go looking for stuff and see what I can make work.

This game seems to have a fuckton of crafting and lots of weapon/magic variety in this. As well as weapon attack stills like that spin attack we saw earlier. It's going to be a trip.

Yeah I am the same. But souls games were so cryptic in the past it's a wonder how anyone figured most of that stuff out. Pretty impressive.

I am going to try and stay away from anything online this time around and really dig deep into what brain cells I have left. Which isn't much.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah embargos are up so be careful watching videos if you wanna go into the game unspoiled

this is 20 mins of final build play from vaati that just went up, i've already bought the game and playing day 1 so no need to watch videos, i'll just be playing in 2 weeks

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
yeah embargos are up so be careful watching videos if you wanna go into the game unspoiled

this is 20 mins of final build play from vaati that just went up, i've already bought the game and playing day 1 so no need to watch videos, i'll just be playing in 2 weeks

Nice to hear that the network test loot table/drops were just for the test, basically.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is going to be my first time playing one of these games as mentioned earlier, can't wait to fucking bitch and moan about it to you guys

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I'm so ready, have a brand new black ps5 controller and black pulse headset that I'm opening on the 25th, even took the day off work for this game. (Haven't done that in ages it seems like.)

I am avoiding any further spoiling..... exercising whatever willpower I have to go in as blind as possible. Can not WAIT!

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this will be my first day off from work for vidya reasons in a loooong time

• 1Solidarity

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You guys think I can still love this if I didnt LOVE Souls games?

I was an early supporter of Demon?(s) Souls, (the very first one for Ps3 i think) I had gotten on board early and really enjoyed playing the game but never played enough to truly progress and finish it. I never played another Souls game since, not because I hate it or anything I just never got too far into it, obviously its not for the faint of heart.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You guys think I can still love this if I didnt LOVE Souls games?

I was an early supporter of Demon?(s) Souls, (the very first one for Ps3 i think) I had gotten on board early and really enjoyed playing the game but never played enough to truly progress and finish it. I never played another Souls game since, not because I hate it or anything I just never got too far into it, obviously its not for the faint of heart.
As has been said earlier this will be the most accessible Souls game. It is more like Breath of the Wild with Souls mechanics that it is the more claustrophobic style of the previous titles. Even Bloodborne.

Sekiro would probably be the closest to this game in terms of mobility.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It’s so weird that people say Breath of the Wild instead of saying open world now. There were probably like 50+ or 100+ open world games before botw but I see it completely replacing the words “open world” when the open world part is really the only similarity it’s going to have to most games.

• 1Truth!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It’s so weird that people say Breath of the Wild instead of saying open world now. There were probably like 50+ or 100+ open world games before botw but I see it completely replacing the words “open world” when the open world part is really the only similarity it’s going to have to most games.
I think Botw is being used in these games where you have the insane mobility like the kite or the horse and the many many ways to interact with the game world.

It's going to be like Botw in that way and most likely let you go right to the end of the game from the start of youre skilled enough to pull it off.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I see the BOTW description as a common replacement to generic open world as different.

BOTW defined as leveraging POI’s in game as where to explore. “Hey cool look at that let’s go see what’s over there. “

Open world defined as which one of these 342,321 map markers should I go to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
at this point i refuse to watch any of the new gameplay drops. i watched the network test and I've had the game pre-ordered since it was avail to preorder.. These new videos just spoil it for me. I want to walk up to things on my own and have no clue wtf it is, or what it does. I'm in the dark till I play on Day 1 as well! Game is going to be so epic.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you watched (or played) the network test, you'll understand why you need it. Basically right at the start you encounter groups of enemies, as in groups similar to the town area in Bloodborne with the dozen or so enemies in front of the pyre of burning bodies. And then picking up an item and right over the hill, there is another similar group, then another one... then one more, then another in front of ruins that go right down to a boss with no save point.

Having to do one of those groups, perhaps go rest, respawn everything, then run to avoid that group but try the next one, it'd just be a hassle. With the system they made, you can keep exploring far longer. I've watched both Oroboro and Peeve play the 72 hour preview (network test with a 72 hour timer before the public network test), and not one of them complained about it, but rather sought out mobs at times hoping to get flask refills instead of resetting at a bonfire/shrine.

Looks to be a very good QOL addition. When facing bosses and the likes, it had no impact at all. Unlike the lifegems and flowers you could farm in DS 2 or Demons Souls to get way more healing even on bosses. It only has an impact on exploration which is a much bigger aspect in Elden Ring than in any souls game before it.

Where it possibly could be "exploited" in a way is if you can run from open world bosses without them having a regen of health. Then I guess you could fight until flasks were out, run away to a group encounter you know you can clear easily, refill a flask or two, then go back to boss. Never saw anyone ever do that, with the dragon for instance, but it might be a thing you can do? Not sure if bosses reset if you run from them. Or if they even have tethering? Be kind of amazing if they never lost aggro like EQ. Train to bonfire!

That was always hilarious to me about EQ. Back in the day I played a Necro, and this was like 1999 so everything was KOS. I'd aggro some bard NPC and escape, then a few minutes later I'd be across the zone doing something and I'd see the damn bard NPC in the distance running over the hills in a straight line towards me, like that one scene with the drums in Monty Python.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I see the BOTW description as a common replacement to generic open world as different.

BOTW defined as leveraging POI’s in game as where to explore. “Hey cool look at that let’s go see what’s over there. “

Open world defined as which one of these 342,321 map markers should I go to.
I’m pretty sure there were others that way though, I’ve played so many damn games I can’t think of which. Skyrim? Dragons Dogma? Lots of MMOs.

I understand BOTW was well done and probably the most recent, played, widely enjoyed, and recognizable open world game. I’m guessing it’s just that. Not saying it’s a bad thing really , it’s just something I’ve noticed over the past year or two. Instead of saying “this game is open world with robot dinosaurs” people will say “it’s like botw but with robot dinosaurs”. When I personally read that I’m like oh fuck it’s open world with weapons breaking, excessive climbing and puzzles but with robot dinosaurs?

I’ve also seen it in other genres. Curse of the Dead Gods was on that has a similar map system to slay the spire. That’s it, that’s the only comparison. But when people describe the game they say it’s a mix of hades and slay the spire and I’m like wtf it’s not even close to sts, it’s just that one single map mechanic they share. One person in the cotdg thread quit playing it cause he said it was too much like sts, and the map selection is like 1% of the game lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I measure BOTWness with the level of truly non-linear elements to the game. Other "open world" games are still linear adventures you just have to do specific things in order to get to the end of the game. In the meantime you can wander around map markers and be free to do busy work in the MMO fashion of collecting bear asses to do this or that.

Whereas in BOTW outside of the tutorial mountain you can do whatever you want. You are in fact encouraged to and there's very minimal handholding. Nothing prevents you from going straight to Gannon and defeating him in the first 30 minutes. Providing you can survive without the buffer of weapons, skills and items you would have gained by exploring the game world and doing stuff. You have to learn from in game stuff how to craft things or just experiment until you figure out what works. With many things being viable.

That is why I compare this to BOTW. I'd bet you anything it will be along this style of open world.

• 1Like