Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The biggest issue for the story though to be honest is the 60 part which is gated behind gearscore. You need to grind for gear to be able to advance the story. The 1 to 60 doesn't have any gear requirement, or at least you get the gear just by doing the MSQ anyways and never have to grind for it.

I do agree though that heavensward has a pretty awesome story.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The 60 part is no longer gated behind gear score.

So I missed my goal. My Dragoon is still 50 and my BLM is 55 but I got the rest to 60 so yay me. I am really looking forward to tomorrow. It's the wife's birthday though so I can't poopsock it :(

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The biggest issue for the story though to be honest is the 60 part which is gated behind gearscore. You need to grind for gear to be able to advance the story. The 1 to 60 doesn't have any gear requirement, or at least you get the gear just by doing the MSQ anyways and never have to grind for it.

I do agree though that heavensward has a pretty awesome story.
With the new expansion though it's almost guaranteed that just like HW, you'll be able to buy white gear for cheap with way higher ilvl once you reach 60, which lets you skip the whole gearing process and just do your shit. Original vanilla story is the same, the moment you hit 50 you can grab a set of white NPC armor garbage from Ishgard and you're now more or less as geared as someone who was farming tomes at the end of 2.0 era.

Even if for some reason that's not the case, all the gear can now be bought with poetics, which you'll get truckloads of just running every 50-60 dungeon once+roulettes. It wouldn't be hard to buy full i260 gear just from that and get that needed ilvl really easily. That or just getting to 61 from MSQ xp which is guaranteed to be the level needed for the new crafting gear if it's not 60.

There is however the issue of doing the fights that require a group, especially shit like Steps. I think you can unsync it now so it should be a piece of cake but still that's the annoying part.

Anyway up to people, can always go back and do the story later on a new char or whatever, it's fine to skip to get to the current endgame right away. It's just, having played 2.0 and 3.0, the endgame in the new expansions tends to be pretty bare, there's just not that much stuff to do. The game gets better as they add more patches, adding various stuff to do like farming old content for weekly quests and glamour and what not while still doing the most current stuff. This is especially true if you rush, not so much as a casual, because there won't be true raid content until 4weeks later. Only thing to do for the next 4weeks is EX Susano and Lakshmi in terms of real endgame.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Also that info is in the patch notes but it's so useful I'ma copy paste it :

ffxivjquests.jpg

ffxivjquests2.jpg

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I somewhat regret not doing all of the HW crafter quests since they are required to unlock SB ones. Eh, I'll be leveling combat to 70 first anyways.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I still have a bunch of HW crafting/gathering quests to do. I was really disapointed with crafting back in 3.0 though so we'll see, not too sure how it was changed over time but if it's the same I'll just do leves to get them to 70 then forget about them, just need to be ready for 5.0 repairs.

Lowball

Trakanon Raider
Welp, datamined skills match up with the previously released numbers for the jobs I want to play - PLD DRK DRG SAM - which means SB hits tomorrow and I still have no idea which one to level first.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tank is always the right answer for the MSQ rush. DPS queueing for the MSQ dungeons when they need them to progress is like AIDS times 9/11.

Malakriss

Let your FC mates level as tanks, then hop in their group when they want quality dps to queue with.

Malakriss

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED AND PATCHED BE ADVISED YOU WILL NEED TO PATCH AGAIN LATER

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone
* Due to the large amount of data, the patch will be split into multiple parts. If you have already downloaded the patch prior the date and time listed above, please login to the game client at a later time and make sure you have downloaded the most recent patch.

Total seems to be ~10GB, earliest people were reporting 2.5 GB and then a second 3.5 GB download so a third 4 GB part should be the last.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone else shocked that after all of the outrage from skill balance at the media tour pretty much nothing was changed?

Malakriss

Zero shock at all. Although with zero hands on gameplay much of it was probably overhyped and we'll find out the proper things to complain about when the game goes live.

Hunts have been datamined so people theorycrafting the S rank triggers. For everyone who uses the ACT custom text triggers go ahead and start adding new ones and zone restrict them after when we know which goes where. Also, there appears to be a new A rank also called Mahisha which is going to screw with hunters so bad until that name gets changed.

60 - 4,470,000
61 - 4,873,000
62 - 5,316,000
63 - 5,809,000
64 - 6,364,000
65 - 6,995,000
66 - 7,722,000
67 - 8,575,000
68 - 9,593,000
69 - 10,826,000

Last edited: