Nightwatch: Demons Are Forever (2023)

kroenen

Regimen Morum
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Nightwatch: Demons Are Forever (2023)

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Mystery

Director: Ole Bornedal

Cast: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kim Bodnia, Ulf Pilgaard, Alex Høgh Andersen, Sonja Richter, Fanny Leander Bornedal, Paprika Steen, Christopher Læssø, Thomas Hou Mandsfeldt, Alexander Behrang Keshtkar, Torben Svendsen, Niels Anders Thorn

Release: 2023-12-14

Runtime: 117

Plot: Martin's daughter, Emma, meets with Wörmer in his isolation cell, and this pulls the convicted commissioner out of his coma and sets in motion a chain of fateful events.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Stay clear of the 1997 remake...

"This thriller should have been a win for Dimension Films. Not only did it fit with their brand for provocative and scary thrillers, but also it brandished hot stars and a rising American filmmaker. But the film was a flop, trashed by critics and raking in only $1.3 million in the U.S., far below its reported $10 million budget.

Some of the actors involved in the remake blamed the producers. Nick Nolte, who plays a cop investigating the murders, said to Entertainment weekly in 1999, "I had seen the original and it was slow, European, psychological. It was one of the scariest films I’ve ever seen. I said to Ole, ‘Why do you want to remake this?’ As the studio got it, they realized that they had a European-paced film, and they kept hacking at it and hacking at it.”

McGregor specifically blamed Dimension Films producer Harvey Weinstein for the failure, telling WHO Magazine in 2021, "He ruined that film. That was a remake of a Danish movie with all these interesting elements to it. Weinstein made us reshoot everyhing — everything that was interesting about that film, he replaced."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Stay clear of the 1997 remake...

"This thriller should have been a win for Dimension Films. Not only did it fit with their brand for provocative and scary thrillers, but also it brandished hot stars and a rising American filmmaker. But the film was a flop, trashed by critics and raking in only $1.3 million in the U.S., far below its reported $10 million budget.

Some of the actors involved in the remake blamed the producers. Nick Nolte, who plays a cop investigating the murders, said to Entertainment weekly in 1999, "I had seen the original and it was slow, European, psychological. It was one of the scariest films I’ve ever seen. I said to Ole, ‘Why do you want to remake this?’ As the studio got it, they realized that they had a European-paced film, and they kept hacking at it and hacking at it.”

McGregor specifically blamed Dimension Films producer Harvey Weinstein for the failure, telling WHO Magazine in 2021, "He ruined that film. That was a remake of a Danish movie with all these interesting elements to it. Weinstein made us reshoot everyhing — everything that was interesting about that film, he replaced."
Okay maybe that's where I was getting confused. I remember the movie with Nick nolte and Ewan McGregor called Night Watch. Saw it on HBO back in high school. Never realized it was a remake.

It was actually a pretty good movie, so I don't necessarily know why you would want to avoid it unless it disrupts the Canon of what's supposed to happen in this film? I did a really really good job with the setting, and just this overwhelming sort of sense of dread. Not a lot of actors and one location, typically makes for a good horror movie. Really wonder what the original version of the remake would have been like though.

Pretty interesting though that if this movie is a continuation off of that whole deal. Guess I'll have to go and try to find the original European first film.

I wouldn't write off the remake though. It might be its own animal but it's probably worth watching, I'm probably better than most of the thrillers that get put out nowadays.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Okay maybe that's where I was getting confused. I remember the movie with Nick nolte and Ewan McGregor called Night Watch. Saw it on HBO back in high school. Never realized it was a remake.

It was actually a pretty good movie, so I don't necessarily know why you would want to avoid it unless it disrupts the Canon of what's supposed to happen in this film? I did a really really good job with the setting, and just this overwhelming sort of sense of dread. Not a lot of actors and one location, typically makes for a good horror movie. Really wonder what the original version of the remake would have been like though.

Pretty interesting though that if this movie is a continuation off of that whole deal. Guess I'll have to go and try to find the original European first film.

I wouldn't write off the remake though. It might be its own animal but it's probably worth watching, I'm probably better than most of the thrillers that get put out nowadays.

I have reason to believe the original is on Shudder but I can't prove it.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
708396389a2d5742117ef2ea10905692.gif

• 2Worf

kroenen

Regimen Morum

Me neither, tbh i don't ever remember seeing it. Watched an insane amount of movies during the 90s, everything from obscure films from countries like the czech republic to the 4 hour Kenneth Branagh version of Hamlet.

Might be a good idea to watch them both and see how they compare. I only remember that the remake got alot of shit for allegedly being inferior to the original. Would be interesting to hear what you think of the remake watching it a second time after so much time has passed since your original viewing.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Me neither, tbh i don't ever remember seeing it. Watched an insane amount of movies during the 90s, everything from obscure films from countries like the czech republic to the 4 hour Kenneth Branagh version of Hamlet.

Might be a good idea to watch them both and see how they compare. I only remember that the remake got alot of shit for allegedly being inferior to the original. Would be interesting to hear what you think of the remake watching it a second time after so much time has passed since your original viewing.
I was thinking about it a little bit earlier and I really did like the one with Nick Nolte. The first 15 minutes or so of the film really kind of sets everything up but it does a great job of it, but I can still sit here after maybe not seeing it in a decade and remember very specific scenes from the film.

It's a good movie, but I'm probably basing that on the fact that I've never seen the original. I'm going to have to go ahead and watch that one and see.

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database