Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Watch the first 3 seasons of MMA. Its loaded with tiny Asian men that devoted their entire life to mastering martial art and they all get their ass beat by random fat ass bar room brawlers.

MMA basically killed "martial artists" in the hollywood sense and probably put thousands of Kung Fu Studios out of business.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Then why is Jeet Kune Do or whatever the fuck Lee was doing so respected by today's fighters? Maybe Lee himself wouldnt have fared well as he was so small, but his teachings? Are all of his principles trash then?

Sterling

El Presidente
Then why is Jeet Kune Do or whatever the fuck Lee was doing so respected by today's fighters? Maybe Lee himself wouldnt have fared well as he was so small, but his teachings? Are all of his principles trash then?
They aren't trash but they're very different things. MMA is a real specific thing. It's 1 vs 1 in a restricted area with a certain ruleset. So Wrestling/BJJ or other groundfighting disciplines are well positioned for it. His concepts of being fast/fluid and using what works instead of being rigid in old thinking still applies even if the actual techniques he used aren't much used today. Which is sort of the whole point to begin with.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

MMA basically killed "martial artists" in the hollywood sense and probably put thousands of Kung Fu Studios out of business.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's there was always the talk among the kids of dude my "Martial Arts #5" is so legit, and it would win any fight. then "No martial arts #9 would" etc. etc. then you got the "dude a big dude just punching that little asian guy would knock him out in any real fight" then they all gang up and show us some lee movies and other stuff.

Marital Arts vs martial arts of the same - sure, or even of a different related cousin field of art...

No one won those arguments because you had, at best Boxing and WWF... yeah.. as the examples or the best thing to point to as examples.

But as you said... now that MMA is out, and its just a fight to fight... its proven that there are some effective martial art things, but generally... a little 90lb dude may be a little faster than a 200lb rock solid guy, but... once a connection happens- its over.

• 1WTF

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
But as you said... now that MMA is out, and its just a fight to fight... its proven that there are some effective martial art things, but generally... a little 90lb dude may be a little faster than a 200lb rock solid guy, but... once a connection happens- its over.

Yes and the big guy will always connect eventually. The playground thought process of "Oh he's too fast" doesn't matter when you get tied up or caught in something.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That's sort of a weird tangent. All things considered there's advantages with size but Mike Tyson wrecked bigger dudes on the regular and Bob Sapp was a mountain and lost to little guys a couple different times that I can think of.

So if you're the little guy just hope the other guy's cardio is poop and he'll fall over under his own weight eventually.

Siliconemelons

Lulz, and here it goes again.

Are we talking about structured fights? Yeah ...

or are we talking "real world" and yeah a no holds fight, MMA is the "closest" you will find - even boxing is restricted, even kick boxing is restricted.

Nor is it "every time" - there just is not one "This size, this method and this X will ALWAYS WIN a fight NO MATTER WHAT." duhh

But Lee could be ripped AF but there still is a physical limit to just how much force he can exert - and thats why even in the movies and such they do "pressure points" and yes those exist, but no - he cant just flick the 5th CM down from your neck and 9 CMs over and across from your clavicle to kill you with a feather touch.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
That's sort of a weird tangent. All things considered there's advantages with size but Mike Tyson wrecked bigger dudes on the regular and Bob Sapp was a mountain and lost to little guys a couple different times that I can think of.

So if you're the little guy just hope the other guy's cardio is poop and he'll fall over under his own weight eventually.

That fight would of been over the second that big jig gripped up the little dude it only went on because it's boxing

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That fight would of been over the second that big jig gripped up the little dude it only went on because it's boxing

The little dude could totally have just shot him with a concealed pistol when the bell rang as well or used a time machine to prevent him from ever being born.

Sapp's lost grappling contests versus little dudes as well. When he was fighting he was like this perfect example of someone that maxed out their strength attribute and put nothing in to stamina.

• 1Worf

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I went and saw this again last night. This time in English. Man, the house was packed. But it was an even better experience than the first time. I have to say that, even in German, the film was good. But in English, it was amazing. Understanding the tiny little quirks about the way the character's speak, their inflection so to say, revealed so much more about them, and about the story.

Some differences between my German and English viewings...

1) I felt a greater connection to Leo's character. I wanted him to succeed, get his life back on track, and land a big movie.

2) I thought Brad Pitt's character was way more of a creep. I thought he was the fucking man when I saw it in German. In English, he came across as the sort of uncle who runs a hand down a female family member's back during a family photo.

3) Hippy Chick was way more fucking annoying. Cute the first time, but I wanted her to eat shit and get off the screen the second.

4) Sharon Tate, as a character, felt much the same. Which I believe, while not a difference, is significant. Either her character is so shallow (but good) that you can connect with her easily. The other possibility is that Margot Robbie is just that good at acting. I can't decide.

• 1Garbage

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Meh. It was shot well, and I can see the homage to old hollywood, but it was kind of boring and didn't seem to tie up any loose ends.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bruce Lee was incredibly fast, but he didn't actually fight. He was a TV black belt. He was in incredibly good shape and good at executing things technically, but he was never in any real fights. Chuck Norris on the other hand, was a legit fighter and still is for someone his age. Chuck has stayed current too. He got his third degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2015 at age 75.

my pops and uncle had a chance to spar with Norris in Oklahoma City back in the mid 80's at one of his fighting tournament events. Got some cool pictures in their Gi's.

I should get those framed.

He was definitely more of a competitive fighter than Bruce Lee. I don't believe Bruce Lee was a competitive fighter at all, whereas Chuck Norris was accomplished in tournaments and was known to be quite devastating and a champion.

And while its not MMA, its still fighting. Chuck is a fighter. Bruce Lee is an actor.

*MIC DROP*

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Fedor

<Banned>
PQCGNFd.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This Tarantino is in my opinion the best since Reservoir / Pulp / Jackie: awesome casting, perfectly written and directed. First thing I thought when I got out of the theater was "man this movie makes me felt nostalgic about an era I never lived".

Some critics say it's a love letter to that ole Hollywood period, and about how the manson / tate stuff really brought it down. I think it's more, it's a perfectly crafted story about "normal" people living a end-of-a-era time, going on with their kind of regular lives in America. What a blast!

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jeet Kun Do is really just a philosophy. The idea of it being a specific fighting style is sorta contrary to the very idea of Jeet Kun Do.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If I recall correctly, Bruce studied Wing Chung and modified it into Jeet or Jeet was the philosophical portion. It's been a while. Wing Chung is a style based on a imaginary box the size of your torso that you focus on. Movements are designed to slide strikes just outside the box and thus make them no threat. The legs are the main attack weapon. But as I said it's been a while.

On the subject of MMA, go find the original videos of the first 3 or 4 UFC pay per view events with Gracie, Shamrock etc. True no holds barred shit (eye gouging, biting and fish hooking were the only no-no's). Youtbe used to have them.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hackney pummeling Joe San Do's balls is still the most memorable thing I have ever seen in MMA. Maaaaaybe Henderson throwing that monster flying punch at a KO'd Bisping.

Still need to see this movie =|

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hackney pummeling Joe San Do's balls is still the most memorable thing I have ever seen in MMA. Maaaaaybe Henderson throwing that monster flying punch at a KO'd Bisping.

Still need to see this movie =|
For those who have never seen it...