Pathfinder: Kingmaker

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
This is definitely a game that gets a ton better with a few good mods. There's a lot of design decisions and NPCs that act like weights around your neck in the vanilla version, and mods fix those problems nicely. Certain NPCs in particular can feel almost totally useless in their vanilla state (Amiri, Harrim, Kalikke, etc.) , but with the Respecialization Mod and a good build they can become really enjoyable party members. Also look into the Craft Magic Items mod - it really boosts some of the underused items and opens up more interesting character builds through the ability to make your own powerful, specialized gear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
(Amiri, Harrim, Kalikke, etc.)
Given the backstory and personal quests of those three: They are supposed to be deeply flawed characters that you start your journey with (well, maybe not the Tiefling sisters), and it is up to the players creativity to make use of them.

You are free to recruit your own party via the Pathfinder Society after all.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
You might want to pick up the extra class mods which add a shit ton of classes. I played a Antipaladin in my evil campaign which was a blast.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Harrim has been a pretty solid battle cleric for me. Clerics in pathfinder are amazing buffers. I gave him some decent melee gear and he tosses bless and bull strength and does some AE debuffs while smacking shit. He is annoying with the constant woe is us living mortals stuff though.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, for most story companions, you only "lose" a couple of levels before you can level them into decent classes. Regongar, Octavia, Linzi, Valerie, Amiri, Harrim, Jaethal and Tristian you get them early enough that you can specc them into something better. the only ones who are really bad out of those is Valerie and Amiri, because straight fighter classes are pretty bad, especially Valerie who's got a lot of points wasted on charisma. but again, you can specc her with some rogue/druid or kinetic knight levels. also Linzi and Jaethal aren't great because you lose them at the end-game. I take it as an extra challenge to work with the canon companions.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Given the backstory and personal quests of those three: They are supposed to be deeply flawed characters that you start your journey with (well, maybe not the Tiefling sisters), and it is up to the players creativity to make use of them.

You are free to recruit your own party via the Pathfinder Society after all.
there's a huge difference between "deeply flawed" and "mechanically inferior"

it's been a while since i played it, but amari's stats are a little goofy and take a while to fix, vs just grabbing a custom follower. harrim is fine mechanically, but is a deeply flawed character story-wise, he's totally fine in that sense. and the teifling twins are... very complicated to use (same with rogangar as a magus) in real time. kineticists require A LOT of micromanagement but in turn-based mode i find them actually pretty decent characters. magus' are similar but a lot of thier micromanagement comes before the battle so they aren't QUITE as bad. but it can get easy for them to just get lost in melee and get insta-gibbed

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
there's a huge difference between "deeply flawed" and "mechanically inferior"

it's been a while since i played it, but amari's stats are a little goofy and take a while to fix,
I'm not telling you how to play or enjoy the game, but I had that sense of accomplishment to "make things work with the resources available". Which, just like in real life, is not always optimal. The game is challenging in multiple ways, especially when you come from other RPGs.

Or maybe Amiri just has a spot in my heart because she is the only prerolled PC from the original adventure path that made it into the game, even though most of the prerolled characters debuted in the "Second Darkness" adventure path.

As for the micromanagement: I always had the feeling that the studio wanted to add a turn-based mode and many more classes to the game but couldn't due to time/budget constraints. With Wrath of the Righteous they seem to have improved upon what was already there in Kingmaker, and it looks like a lot of fun.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
for what it's worth, i always made room in my party for amari. she's sub-optimal in a min/max playstyle, but i like her, so she gets a pass

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I think all companions had good side stories, except maybe Regongar and octavia

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I thought I’d find this easier via Google fu, but any tips on settings to make this play like DOS2?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I thought I’d find this easier via Google fu, but any tips on settings to make this play like DOS2?

I'm guessing you mean Turn Based Combat rather than Real Time with pause. It's an option, it's turned off by default, just turn it on.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man this game is nice but the damn rest every fucking minute gets on your fucking nerves. I understand this is all DnD and all that but this is why things like dice games dont translate well to video games. Or at least parts of them dont. For example youre at the fucking Ogre ruins, right? So you do 1 fight, 2...3...4 then youre out of steam all of your shit is used up and no heals. SO you now have to save, camp and hope you dont get attacked, or else reload and camp again, what a waste of time, at least IMO. Then when yorue on the world map it really starts to annoy the shiit out of you. Maybe some of you DnD purists dont agree but whatever.

Also it would be nice to build up a few characters on your own but they make it so expensive to do if you dont do it at like Lv1 when its 500 gold. Right now at lv 8 they want 24K for a new blank character. I would of loved to fuck around with a rogue type sneak backstabber or maybe a pure pally or something. I wonder why they chose to be so restrictive with you trying other characters on your own. They have so many classes/multi classes to choose from too. And fuck if im going through this game again just to try something else, lol.

It also seems like the casters in this game are kind of weak. Ive got Octavia to like lv 7 wiz and the 1 rogue she had and its like miss city and if she hits with a spell, its shit damage. In fact most of these spells are kind of boring in this game. Maybe I just dont know the DnD world all too much and what to pick but aside CC and buffs, which are really good for the melee and ranger, casters are kinda weak so far up to lv 8. Maybe they come online later? But then whats the use of dragging along a shit charactrer for 1/2 the game jsut so they can come online towards the end. I always thought that a wizard was supposed to be like a god at dmg, the whole glass cannon thing.

Defiinitely worth picking up. There are some great parts to this game but also some that are annoying.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man this game is nice but the damn rest every fucking minute gets on your fucking nerves. I understand this is all DnD and all that but this is why things like dice games dont translate well to video games. Or at least parts of them dont. For example youre at the fucking Ogre ruins, right? So you do 1 fight, 2...3...4 then youre out of steam all of your shit is used up and no heals. SO you now have to save, camp and hope you dont get attacked, or else reload and camp again, what a waste of time, at least IMO. Maybe some of you DnD purists dont agree but whatever.
I haven't gamed in years but I remember tabletop generally being tuned to be much easier so that you didn't have to resort to resting after every other room.

It also seems like the casters in this game are kind of weak. Ive got Octavia to like lv 7 wiz and the 1 rogue she had and its like miss city and if she hits with a spell, its shit damage. In fact most of these spells are kind of boring in this game. Maybe I just dont know the DnD world all too much and what to pick but aside CC and buffs, which are really good for the melee and ranger, casters are kinda weak so far up to lv 8. Maybe they come online later? But then whats the use of dragging along a shit charactrer for 1/2 the game jsut so they can come online towards the end. I always thought that a wizard was supposed to be like a god at dmg, the whole glass cannon thing.

Casters haven't been primary damage dealers in over twenty years. Physical damage went through the roof starting with third edition whereas caster damage stayed the same or even went down. The strength of casters is in buffs, crowd control, and eventually "save or die" spells. You start getting "save or suck" spells earlier of course but they mostly fall into the crowd control category anyway.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah at least so far the casters are weak. I thought I was building them wrong or something at first, but a few re specs and it always ends up the same, buff and CC bot. So far the archer and my melee are raping the content, especially with shit like haste and all the stat buffs. The only "caster" I do like for DMG is the little gnome alchemist, if you could even call him a caster, he throws vials at shit. Right now im thinking of trimming my lineup down to a bard, since one of my meele dudes gets some CC as well and cleric basically can do it all.