Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Since they were offering such a good deal, I had preordered a Pixel 7 Pro from Best Buy. $480 for my Pixel 6 and a $200 gift card. I decide to pick it up at the store so I can transfer my data over and get the trade in value right away and a whole ordeal begins. They're having ordering system and POS problems and the trade in was never attached to the transaction when I ordered it. I can either take the trade in value as another gift card, or they can return the phone and resell it to me. It takes forever for them to be sure I won't lose the preorder deal and the manager tells the rep to give me a physical gift card for $200, as the one from my preorder should get cancelled.

There is one laptop being used as a POS system that can process all this, so I have to wait a while because I can't open the box and transfer my data until the transaction goes through. Thankfully I had cleaned up the storage on the phone so that didn't take too long. Overall it took over 2 hours to get my damn phone.

I had been eyeballing the Pixel Watch and was figuring on using the gift card on that and pulled the trigger on it last night. When I ordered it, I double checked my account and the original $200 gift card for the original preorder was still there and apparently valid. I used both that and the physical card I was issued and got the watch with credit to spare.

Not a heck of a lot to say about the phone right now, but my two biggest complaints, the fingerprint scanner and the modem, seem to have been fixed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Better go to the gym and hit the weights. You'll be getting that 7 oz off the ground in no time.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Return it for a more compact phone, if you have that option.

Size comparison chart with your current P7 and your previous P3 in the lineup:

Yeah I don't want anything that's not a Pixel. I'll deal with it because everything else about it is great, especially for work stuff. I hope they make something smaller in the future but this is good for now.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Yeah I don't want anything that's not a Pixel. I'll deal with it because everything else about it is great, especially for work stuff. I hope they make something smaller in the future but this is good for now.
I Guess Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Return it for a more compact phone, if you have that option.

Size comparison chart with your current P7 and your previous P3 in the lineup:

That's a cool site, thanks!

Hah, my Pixel 2XL is still bigger than the 7. But thinner and lighter. And I'd bet longer battery life, too. Noice!

• 2Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Best Buy is offering really good trade-in on my phone (could go from an s20 to an s22 for almost free). It's got me considering the s22 ultra. Does anyone here have it? Is the pen worth it? How annoying is the curved screen?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I picked up a Pixel 7 Pro. I traded in my 5a for $280 through Google so the Pro is only going to cost me $515 which isn't too bad. I guess the 5a's have been dying left and right due to the black screen of death. I figured it was time to get rid of it before my phone succumbs to it too.

I don't care for the fingerprint reader being under the screen instead of on the back of the device. On the back of the device is the perfect place to have the fingerprint reader. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I picked up a Pixel 7 Pro. I traded in my 5a for $280 through Google so the Pro is only going to cost me $515 which isn't too bad. I guess the 5a's have been dying left and right due to the black screen of death. I figured it was time to get rid of it before my phone succumbs to it too.

I don't care for the fingerprint reader being under the screen instead of on the back of the device. On the back of the device is the perfect place to have the fingerprint reader. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
I have a 3a, and that's the main reason I haven't upgraded it. I like the fingerprint reader on the back

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Same for me and my 2XL. I am holding out hope that someone realizes the mistake they made by moving the fingerprint reader away from the back. I am amazed my phone has lasted this long too. Coming up on 5 years I believe. Battery still lasts 2+ days easily, could be 3 if it was just on standby most of the time.

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I encourage Korea and Japan to develop their own mobile OS. I always buy Samsung phones because what the hell does South Korea care about me? Nothing. I don't live there, just a customer to them. The other options are invasive and frankly abusive and disgusting.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New Samsung One UI update adds this little gem. I can see a future when all anti-maskers decide to do a 180 and begin wearing masks on a regular basis.

"New navigation improvements also make it easier than ever to find photos within the Gallery app and create shared family albums. Simply tap a person’s face in a photo to conduct a search for more images while the Gallery app searches for faces of loved ones to recommend for family photo albums."

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Google Photos already does this. They actually put a row of faces that show up in your photos a lot and you can tap on them to see all the pictures of that person that you have.

• 1Like
  • 1Wow!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Google Photos already does this. They actually put a row of faces that show up in your photos a lot and you can tap on them to see all the pictures of that person that you have.
yeah, it's been a feature for at least 3 years. Apple does it as well.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Of all the annoying shit that I'm trying to resist getting me to buy a new phone, the charging port on my pixel 3a has been getting pretty loose and the charger doesn't stay in. Is there any easy fix for this, or is it a take the phone apart and solder type of thing?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Of all the annoying shit that I'm trying to resist getting me to buy a new phone, the charging port on my pixel 3a has been getting pretty loose and the charger doesn't stay in. Is there any easy fix for this, or is it a take the phone apart and solder type of thing?
you have to heat up the phone and risk removing the lcd screen in order to do anything, no solder it's all flex cables

you honestly probably have lots of lint built up in there, try just using compress air to blow it out and then a flashlight and a toothpick

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Probably. Maybe you could get away with opening it and bending the outer part of the port instead of soldering a new one, but that still means removing the screen to get at it. I did that on my OG Pixel to replace the battery and ended up breaking the screen. For a phone that's no longer getting updates, this seems not worth it. Rumors are saying that the 7a should be launching at Google IO this year for $499 if you're looking to replace it with another Pixel.

Have you tried different cables to see if they stay in any better?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is the 3a not capable of using a wireless charger? I honestly havent used a plug in a long time. Wireless is just so much better.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My 5a doesn't have wireless charging but on the recommendation of someone here I bought one of those little stickers that lets your phone charge wirelessly. Bonus is that having a connector in your USB-C port all the time keeps it nice and clean so if you do need to use it for something it works great. Makes me feel stupid because multiple times I didn't buy a phone I liked because it lacked wireless charging when I could have added it on myself for $13.

• 2Like