The Astronomy Thread

Burns

Clickbait & fake news, that particular crater is only a small detail of the Utopia Planitia impact basin and is only 5 miles across.

lol, none of us Americans did the conversion. 3300 km? Sure that sounds about right for that single crater!

The headline with the picture is more misleading than actually wrong, as it does say the "impact basin" and not that single crater was 2000 miles wide. The crater is just "huge."

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Blue Origin just finished its first crewed tourist flight to low orbit in 2 years. Only 2 of the 3 parachutes deployed properly. The hosts on the stream were like "lots of redundantcy, it's ok with only 2 deploying". Most likely totally true, but the stream showed that capsule hitting the dirt and it looked to be a pretty damn hard slam into the ground.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Blue Origin just finished its first crewed tourist flight to low orbit in 2 years. Only 2 of the 3 parachutes deployed properly. The hosts on the stream were like "lots of redundantcy, it's ok with only 2 deploying". Most likely totally true, but the stream showed that capsule hitting the dirt and it looked to be a pretty damn hard slam into the ground.
Would still choose it over DEI discount trip

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was watching too, looked like a hard hit!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Even if that is true, that is going to make potential customers think twice

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Nevermind, youtube won't allow me to embedd the video here.

Last edited:

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I was going to say that I thought we had pretty much mapped Mars out down to largish rocks decades ago, but then I see it was just a clickbaity article. God the Internet is becoming insufferable.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
FFS lol...

I was marking these dates on my PC calendar, with a reminder 24 hours before, until they moved it to the 25th. Then I was like fuck it.
I know in my head that 'space is hard' but...they were awarded twice the cash, and that's billions and have taken forever for nothing to show.
I really hope they get this running but damn , get it done before I'm dead!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I was marking these dates on my PC calendar, with a reminder 24 hours before, until they moved it to the 25th. Then I was like fuck it.
I know in my head that 'space is hard' but...they were awarded twice the cash, and that's billions and have taken forever for nothing to show.
I really hope they get this running but damn , get it done before I'm dead!
I have the regret to inform you gentlemen, but... Boeing.

• 2Truth!