Total War series

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Game is fun but ai in battles is really really bad :\ the computer tells me i have 5% chance of winning battle, i manualy go into it and slay 5k troops while losing only 150...

khalid

Unelected Mod
I DONT KNOW WHOM TO BELIEVE!!!!
Yeah, I am thoroughly confused atm. Bunch of people shitting on it and bunch of people saying its good.
frown.png

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Game is fun but ai in battles is really really bad :\ the computer tells me i have 5% chance of winning battle, i manualy go into it and slay 5k troops while losing only 150...
What difficulty are you playing on? I started a Normal Campaign and am seeing the same issues. I am about to start one on hard difficulty to see if that changes things. A Dev played a skirmish on Youtube with an insane AI and it wiped the floor with him.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
A faction being confident and unreliable is hardly an explanation why (almost all of them at times) outright refuse to trade. Besides, traits like unreliable aren't new, these were mentioned in Shogun 2 aswell, when you would mouse-over the disposition they had towards your own faction.

Right now I can't ask for marriages either, I'm not able to add or ask for money during my diplomatic dealings and the more delicate options, like asking a faction to join you are being refused 10 out of 10 times. Even if said faction smaller than you, less powerful AND you're in good standing with them. So you have to wipe them out all the way.

And about the general/agents bonuses, these are just the same as they've been in previous titles. Stuff like "+5% chance to avoid detection" on a spy type of agent is nothing new.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
What difficulty are you playing on? I started a Normal Campaign and am seeing the same issues. I am about to start one on hard difficulty to see if that changes things. A Dev played a skirmish on Youtube with an insane AI and it wiped the floor with him.
playing on very hard, i'm debating restarting on legendary :#

Also, for my part, I'm mainly enumerating the things I find lacking in this game, too early for an appreciation of the game at this stage... I'd say it's a safe bet if you liked shogun 2 you will most likely enjoy this as well, I know I am eventho there's a lot of little annoying things.

The sieges are a LOT more fun than shogun..god I hated sieges in that game, they're actualy more interesting and varried here for the most part.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Don't lie, Utnayan. You don't like anything.

GMG had it for 47.99, so eh, I went ahead and grabbed it. I like TW games a lot and I'm willing to put up with some bugs/the usual AI issues.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
That review is terrible.

The province management system is a very clear step forward, and the public order system is not at all complicated. It changes over time now instead of instantly, not very hard to comprehend, and now you actually have to think ahead about public order instead of just chucking a couple more troops in the town after you conquer a town until it gets better.

I don't find that the calculation times take long at all, but then I have a brand new computer. They are faster in Rome 2 than they were on my old computer in Shogun 2.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've been playing Total War games since the first Shogun, religiously. So like over a decade. I have thousands of hours in the games.

Things I like: The new province management system, the new army recruitment system, the way you build up cities now is nice

Things that are wonky: Its another system hog that probably shouldn't bog down a system as much as it does. I have a pretty solid rig, even though the mobo/processor are a little aged now, they're still i7s and I have a 670 video card, runs everything at max no problemo, this shit is bogged down as hell. The AI is still shit. Its going to be a controversial game, period.

Some are going to like it, others are going to hate it for what it changes, others will hate it for the same problems all CA games seem to have, which is resource hogs with lots of bugs and bad AI and nowhere near competitive with Paradox grand strategy titles when it comes to diplomacy. Its definitely not perfect, but probably shouldn't be evoking quite as much emotion from some as it is.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I've been playing Total War games since the first Shogun, religiously. So like over a decade. I have thousands of hours in the games.

Things I like: The new province management system, the new army recruitment system, the way you build up cities now is nice

Things that are wonky: Its another system hog that probably shouldn't bog down a system as much as it does. I have a pretty solid rig, even though the mobo/processor are a little aged now, they're still i7s and I have a 670 video card, runs everything at max no problemo, this shit is bogged down as hell. The AI is still shit. Its going to be a controversial game, period.

Some are going to like it, others are going to hate it for what it changes, others will hate it for the same problems all CA games seem to have, which is resource hogs with lots of bugs and bad AI and nowhere near competitive with Paradox grand strategy titles when it comes to diplomacy. Its definitely not perfect, but probably shouldn't be evoking quite as much emotion from some as it is.
Pretty much.

It is Shogun 2 with a lot more features, unit diversity, and a bigger map. If you like the other games you will like this one (unless you can't get used to the better UI for some reason), if you didn't you won't like this one. It's pretty simple really.

So far I've found the AI to be about on par with Shogun 2, except better in sieges.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Don't lie, Utnayan. You don't like anything.

GMG had it for 47.99, so eh, I went ahead and grabbed it. I like TW games a lot and I'm willing to put up with some bugs/the usual AI issues.
Haha
smile.png

Only playing through the tutorial so far, but it runs well. I have a high end system though. I'll be able to play more Thursday night and this weekend. But up until now no crashes, runs decently, after about 2 hours of play so far.

Have bit hit with one frame rate slow down, which is pretty much inexcusable with a GTX 770. So... I am guessing new drivers will fix this and a few patches.

Is there any way to turn off rain droplets on the screen? It's great when you are in first person mode for immersion, but when I am an Eye in the sky commanding my roman army, it resembles screen tearing and I do not like it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think I have the original Hegemony on Steam, its called Hegemony: Philip of Macedon and, now that's the gold version its probably updated fuck I don't know, but what I remember of it was it was unplayable and pretty dry, not that the new Rome isn't getting some complaints along those lines.

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Been playing this like a fiend since it came out, and I've got to say...I'm not enjoying the pace of combat. Engagements with 5,000+ troops ending in five minutes flat doesn't rub off well on me. I'm literally seeing dozens of troops just falling over dead as if the game is computing that units are getting killed faster than individual units can physically dispatch them.

Also, lol @ trade agreements diplomacy. Even on just hard it seems like you could be in such high standing that their faction would be ready to get down on their knees and deepthroat you, but ask for a trade agreement? That'll be 90% of your income for a pitiful amount of trade revenue per turn.

Edit: Just checked for shits and yes, it was only plausible for multiple factions once I offered them approximately 90% of my current treasury balance when it was above 5K or so.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Anyone else having issues with the game not using their AMD graphics card? I see that people are having lots of gfx issues on the official forums.
frown.png