Total War series

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Review copies don't come with achievements, that picture is bullshit. And I really don't see what Rome actually improves over Shogun. Multiplayer has been butchered aswell, or so it seems. So now we have some sort of a quickmatch and that's it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Review copies on steam have achievements activated, achievements are loaded on steam months before games are even available for preload.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It sounds like a lot of the complaints can easily be reached in 2 hours. Sorry but a game being as bug ridden and shitty in performance as previous iterations isn't an excuse. It is a sign of a game that needs to get shit on in reviews.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ever played a game where it seemed like it was a train wreck on first impression, but some time later you went back to it and realize it wasn't that bad after all?

That's what I'm saying. There were expectations, there are every time, and with Rome 2 those are going to be high, and that's understandable, but there's also having those perceptions not met leading to a distorted overall view of the product as a whole.

Its still Total War, its got very interesting improvements, and some missteps, but its a 7 not a 4.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Ever played a game where it seemed like it was a train wreck on first impression, but some time later you went back to it and realize it wasn't that bad after all?

That's what I'm saying. There were expectations, there are every time, and with Rome 2 those are going to be high, and that's understandable, but there's also having those perceptions not met leading to a distorted overall view of the product as a whole.

Its still Total War, its got very interesting improvements, and some missteps, but its a 7 not a 4.
this.

nate_sl

shitlord
The real disappointment for me is that it runs considerably worse than Shogun 2. Shogun 2 I could play at very high settings and got acceptable FPS (30+) nearly all the time. Turn times were probably like 30-45 seconds, even at the end of the game.

Rome 2 runs like shit even on the lowest settings. I have an i7, 12 gigs of ram, Nvidia 570m, so you would think it would get acceptable performance on mid to high settings, but it does not. I just won't tolerate playing a product that I have to constantly fight performance issues.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I was going to say earlier that the shitty optimization is the real, legitimate complaint about the game. I just turned everything down to half and that solved things, but its a shitty solution. Long turn wait times don't bother me because I'm playing while studying so the pace fits me perfectly right now. Set up stuff, end turn, read a section in a textbook yadda yadda but can see the frustration there.

W

Wrathcaster

Review copies don't come with achievements, that picture is bullshit. And I really don't see what Rome actually improves over Shogun. Multiplayer has been butchered aswell, or so it seems. So now we have some sort of a quickmatch and that's it.
Are you saying the direct control picture is bullshit? Because I assure you direct control is in the game. Fuck, I'll stream it for you if you're so convinced it's not. If you're talking about something else and I misunderstood, my mistake.

And how does Rome improve over Shogun? Unit diversity. The armies in Shogun 2 were virtually mirror copies with a few uniques thrown in for a bit of flavor, owing to the homogenous culture of Japan. Like I said before, legacies/traditions are a big improvement: instead of just having your units gain exp for fights (which they still do in Rome) you have them gain traits and abilities as they're used, and you can refound them if they die off. In Shogun 2, there wasn't too much of an advantage to focusing specific tactics and specific units with a specific army for an extended amount of time, save for just convenience sake- in Rome the armies you level actually become relevant for what you use them for, rather than just upping their health/morale.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Are you saying the direct control picture is bullshit? Because I assure you direct control is in the game. Fuck, I'll stream it for you if you're so convinced it's not. If you're talking about something else and I misunderstood, my mistake.
nono you are totaly wrong and nothing in rome 2 works or is new. They removed everything good from past games and everything is broken, hell the game probably doesnt even start and puts a virus on your hard disk.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I was not talking about the direct control/first person camera, no idea why you would get that impression when I'm talking about achievements. Naturally though Nutron jumps right into the conversation, defending the game even though he has no idea what we're talking about.

W

Wrathcaster

Dude claimed Rome 2 didn't have direct control, and given his complaints and name are similar to yours, I didn't realize it was actually 2 different posters.

First for direct control (another thing rome2 doesnt have)
After someone posted a picture of direct control being used in Rome 2, you posted this:

Review copies don't come with achievements, that picture is bullshit.
Which made me think you were referring to the pic that got posted showing direct control. I didn't see any other pictures posted. That's what gave me the impression.

You two should either fight or fuck, but you should do it in a different thread.
They probably should. I believe Nutron is actually a girl IRL so it wouldn't be gay...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It never gets old for me.
tongue.png

Sobaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
I found by turning the Unlimited Video Memory option on my performance and visuals went up. On 2500k / 560 TI 448.

W

Wrathcaster

I found by turning the Unlimited Video Memory option on my performance and visuals went up. On 2500k / 560 TI 448.
I wondered about that. Was afraid of it since the tooltip said it could greatly decrease performance, but you've got identical specs to me. What FPS are you getting and what graphics settings are you using?

Nutron_sl

shitlord
To me the biggest problem of this game really is just the pitiful AI... I haven't played a single challenging battle and I pumped it up to Legendary. Whenever the CPU attacks a city of mine, it doesnt matter if i have a full army or just the reserves or that the cpu brings 40 units, it will never win. It is just that bad, it will send everything to one door where 3 of your spearmen in a square formation can hold em off with 1-2 ranged units above destroy their entire army... It's just ridiculously bad. I very much hate the open battle objectives also, that's not total war to me :x

Shogun 2's ai at least won a few sieges when outnumbering me 3 to 1..

Sobaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wondered about that. Was afraid of it since the tooltip said it could greatly decrease performance, but you've got identical specs to me. What FPS are you getting and what graphics settings are you using?
1680x1050, Extreme. Benchmark gave me 28 fps on average. During gameplay it's probably 20-30. Although I've seen it dip during massive charges. Pretty sure if I turn off SSAO or turn some things down, it could be even better but so far I find it very playable.