Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That all makes sense. I am indeed just using it as a food journal just because I've never counted anything except carbs when trying to shrink the waist line and I just wanted to see how I actually really do eat on a daily basis. I just can't believe how ludicrous that number is. I can just imagine people who have no experience with diet and exercise logging in and setting it up thinking "WTF? I need to eat like a 12 year old girl to lose 2lbs/week?" and just giving up.
Or following it, having their metabolism turn to shit, and exploding after.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Negative. I think you're looking at it from a much shorter time frame than I am talking about. A novice lifter is someone who can still make consistent linear progress. That can take anywhere from a year to infinity (infinity being the people who lift and never make progress because their programming or, more likely, diet, is shit). By the time you've been lifting for several years, something like deadlifting twice a week would fucking destroy you.

What you're talking about is getting DOMS from not lifting regularly. I actually just recently had experience with this again as I started training a female coworker of mine. After her first day in the gym she felt demolished. 2 days later it was time for her 2nd workout and she absolutely didn't want to go. She was complaining about how she could barely walk that day and there was no way she could squat. I actually lied to her and said we wouldn't do legs, just to get her to go, and because I knew what she was dealing with. But she lifted through the DOMS and was shocked when the next day didn't feel nearly as bad as she had the previous few.

A novice lifter can get away with doing the same muscle group with about 72 hours of recovery. That's why you see a lot of beginner routines where you squat 3 times a week.
Thanks for the explanation.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
So me and the roommate ended up finding a weight bench + 200~ lbs of weights for 80 bucks and grabbed it the other day. I actually "worked out" for the first time in my life today and jesus, talk about awful. Didn't do anything super heavy since a) I have no idea what I'm doing and b) it wasn't really possible but meh, I'll probably keep at it and hopefully see some power gains.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So me and the roommate ended up finding a weight bench + 200~ lbs of weights for 80 bucks and grabbed it the other day. I actually "worked out" for the first time in my life today and jesus, talk about awful. Didn't do anything super heavy since a) I have no idea what I'm doing and b) it wasn't really possible but meh, I'll probably keep at it and hopefully see some power gains.
You need to either a) strength train with someone who knows what they're doing or b) do some research.

Otherwise that "probably keep at it" will turn into "fuck this, nothing is happening"

As an aside I actually stayed under the 1320 calories today by 19 calories. There is no fucking way a normal adult could eat like that every day. I'm goddamn starving. Like literally, I feel nauseous because my body is saying "bro, do you even lift?"

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
You need to either a) strength train with someone who knows what they're doing or b) do some research.

Otherwise that "probably keep at it" will turn into "fuck this, nothing is happening"

As an aside I actually stayed under the 1320 calories today by 19 calories. There is no fucking way a normal adult could eat like that every day. I'm goddamn starving. Like literally, I feel nauseous because my body is saying "bro, do you even lift?"
I plan on grabbing starting strength tomorrow but I just figured I'd dick around and figure out a benchmark of where I'm at. Still not really possible to do the lifts I need to do because we don't have a squat rack but once some money frees up at the beginning of the year I'll try to find a cheap used one or just build one.

1300 calories is impossible for me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1300 calories isn't bad. The dinner I had today was only a little over that.

Oh you mean for the whole day? nevermind

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That all makes sense. I am indeed just using it as a food journal just because I've never counted anything except carbs when trying to shrink the waist line and I just wanted to see how I actually really do eat on a daily basis. I just can't believe how ludicrous that number is. I can just imagine people who have no experience with diet and exercise logging in and setting it up thinking "WTF? I need to eat like a 12 year old girl to lose 2lbs/week?" and just giving up.
2lbs a week is pretty drastic. 0.5lbs is more realistic and sustainable. How many weeks straight did you sustain that much weight loss?

MyFitnessPal does calories for weight lifting, you have to search for strength training under cardio. Get a heart monitor if you want truly accurate results.

Khane

I almost want to see if I can do it and compare their projected results to actual. After I saved the day's food diary it said "If everyday were like today you'd weigh 190.8 lbs in 5 weeks". I feel like if I did that I'd be closer to 180 lbs. I'm 201 right now for reference.

Deathwing, 2lbs a week isn't all that difficult to be honest, and eating 1300 calories/day is practically starving yourself. A lot of people didn't really believe me when I originally posted my story and even put up pictures but I lost 50 lbs the first three months I did Atkins (years ago) and did absolutely no exercising at all. I started to exercise after that and lost another 50 over the next 7 or so months. The first 3 months had ridiculous weight loss numbers because I was severely overweight (280 lbs on a 5'10" frame with very little to no lean mass) and for reference I lost 18 lbs the first two weeks of the diet. It slowed down quite a bit after that initial loss but there were still weeks where I was losing 4-5 lbs a week (on a good week) after that initial burst of weight loss. Plus I think we all know ketosis offers greater results and I was in ketosis the entire first three months and then in and out of it over the next 7 when I switched my diet to phase 3 of that plan.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
1300 calories doesn't seem like it would provide enough food. Can probably just switch over to soylent at that point. I put down approximately 1800 - 2100 calories per day, haven't really been counting lately as it is just routine. I was similar to Khane's frame when I started (282 lbs, 5'9") and weight loss is ridiculously fast for the first month or so. After that things stabilized and the weight loss was around 1 - 3 lbs per week. I have been able to maintain that loss for approximately 6 months. I feel at some point it will slow to the .5 - 1 lb range per week when I drop more weight. When you are a fatty, weight comes off fast.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, you were in ketosis and obese. 2lbs/week makes more sense then. I thought you were referring to 2lbs/week at your current weight. Put your old weight in the app, it should adjust your calorie requirements. Just curious what you get.

Khane

Well of course my old weight is going to have a much higher "net calories" allotment for weight loss. That's obvious. However, even at my current weight 1300 calories a day is ludicrous. I did it yesterday and had serious hunger pangs. I'm going to stay as close to it as I can for bro science. I'll report my progress on a weekly basis.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well of course my old weight is going to have a much higher "net calories" allotment for weight loss. That's obvious. However, even at my current weight 1300 calories a day is ludicrous. I did it yesterday and had serious hunger pangs. I'm going to stay as close to it as I can for bro science. I'll report my progress on a weekly basis.
First we lost Thorne to unbearable pain, then Wizardhawk to meth-tooth infection, and now we're going to lose brother Khane to starvation. Rerolled members are dropping like flies!

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had to go for a doctor's appointment today and I'm down to 195. Yikes, time to bulk up before summer.

Khane

First we lost Thorne to unbearable pain, then Wizardhawk to meth-tooth infection, and now we're going to lose brother Khane to starvation. Rerolled members are dropping like flies!
I won't succumb to mere hunger. But if I did that would be the perfect way to get zombified. Zombies are insatiable.

Khane

Anyone have suggestions on a fairly accurate electronic home scale? My gym doesn't have scales at all (so ghetto) so I don't have the luxury of weighing in on a nice doctors scale but the analog scale I have at home is abysmal. I can get 6 different readings of +/- 5 lbs within minutes. Don't forget this is for science.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Search for an ozeri scale on amazon. Should be anywhere from 18 to 22 dollars. I'd link but I'm on a phone.

Khane

Haha, well I need a food scale too so thanks for the suggestion. But I meant a scale on which I can weigh myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they also have a couple bath scales.