What vehicle do you drive?

Siliconemelons

There are a few regular Air drivers around me, it’s nice but it does blend in. Never driven one.

There are a good amount of Rivian, mostly the suv and ofc teslas are all over mostly 3 and Y- there roadster guy is still around, but I haven’t seen him in a while.

I have been noticing the EQS more.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Most steering wheel damage comes from people wearing rings, particularly squarish ones with an edge on it. It's a soft surface, scraping a metal thing over it tens of thousands of times is going to wear it out.

Sun damage and skin excretions probably do the most damage, there's also fingernails and just rubbing against jeans etc when steering. Hard plastic steering wheels wear out and get pretty nasty over time too, just over a much longer period of time.

its steering wheel is delaminating and its a 22,

Tesla might be making it worse with thin and cheap pleather in the 3. Maybe Hertz is cleaning the wheel with shit that destroys the material, if it's falling apart that fast.

Just washing your hands and using leather lotion periodically goes a long way. No one's doing any of that for a rental.

Rentals are kind of a perfect storm for destruction.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Rural oklahoma highways headed to and from tulsa seen a number of Rivian units in good at seeing the same suv and truck.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
My biggest issue with Tesla is pretty minor and totally a personal thing but at the same time it’s a deal breaker for me and that’s the iPad thing, I’m old school and I like having information in front of me, and I like physical buttons for a lot of things. Other than that I don’t have issues with Tesla, not the best looking cars but not the ugliest either…uninspired would be my way to describe them. The tech is second to none though, every other ev is still playing catch up on this front.

EV is still some time away for me as I bought a new car 1 year ago, and EV was out of the question as my condo voted against installing chargers and I am not going to own an ev without being able to charge at home, and I’m not moving. :)

Going to enjoy my Genesis GV70 for another 5-6 years and EV market should be mature enough by then for me to make the switch and condo should have chargers by them, pretty sure it will be mandatory for them to have at least a few.

You are not alone, this is why I cancelled my Y pre-order and got the S. I can't be looking at some little Ipad for my speed, or touch screening my way to the wipers. S / X has a separate screen right behind the wheel, and (not sure on the 2024 model) has physical controls for wipers, etc.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You are not alone, this is why I cancelled my Y pre-order and got the S. I can't be looking at some little Ipad for my speed, or touch screening my way to the wipers. S / X has a separate screen right behind the wheel, and (not sure on the 2024 model) has physical controls for wipers, etc.
The wipers on the 3/Y you just push the physical button on the stalk (for the ones that still have the stalk I guess) and that pulls up the wiper controls on the screen, and you can adjust it. The button also makes the wipers come on temporarily so for like 90% you just leave it on auto, when the auto is being stupid you just hit the button and set it.

One of those things thats like.. they could definitely make this better, but it's not annoying enough to be a deal breaker.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The wipers on the 3/Y you just push the physical button on the stalk (for the ones that still have the stalk I guess) and that pulls up the wiper controls on the screen, and you can adjust it. The button also makes the wipers come on temporarily so for like 90% you just leave it on auto, when the auto is being stupid you just hit the button and set it.

One of those things thats like.. they could definitely make this better, but it's not annoying enough to be a deal breaker.
The wipers management is ok, not great but I never found a car that was 100% spot on.
However, the headlights management is one of the worst i've seen. I drive also a cheap ford galaxy, it's night and day how better the ford is at not blinding others.
A HUD is indeed missing, but that did not bother me as much as I thought. I still have the stalks for the PRND, I do think having this on the touch screen would be a deal breaker for me, especially when parking.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This reminded me of some of the previous EV/repair/insurance talk we've had before. Pretty interesting and glad that someone is trying to pick up the slack

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
445003834_26421809404084851_6601433906874805392_n.jpg

c8 Have a ceramic brake option or think this guy just painted them? Aftermarket wheels, supposed to be a 2020 3LT, 11k miles
No idea if it has magride or front lift which I care about more than z51 to just be a GT daily. That and how absurd the dealership asking price may be, they seem to still go stupid high sporadically vs other dealerships are up to 5-10k off msrp now as the market cools.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
.Picked up an F250 today for $1,500. I think it's a bargain. Less than 100K miles, perfect brakes and tires, and equipped to haul things. I don't actually think I'll get it insured and road worthy. It's just a truck for around the property. Haul wood, pull trees down, all that kind of thing.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
77k aha fuck that though after finding the full listing has some more bullshit on it I don't care about and black interior but yellow accents and belts aint my thing.

Last edited:

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I posted a few months back about a custom truck that I was having built and wanted the FOH logo for a custom grill. Sadly, the company that does it said they were having too many issues with customer designs for the grill insert, and they had stopped doing it a few trucks before mine was set to begin construction. I have a large family with 5 kids, and when it came time for a new vehicle, I thought about buying a suburban type for hauling everyone and an old truck to have for truck purposes (I do a lot of wood working/hauling). I found a company that combines the two. I placed my order about 18 months ago, and finally get to pick it up next week.

Base is a 2016 F-350 4x4 6.7-liter diesel with 32k miles on it.
Pictures of the process.

After cab extension and new paint job. Color is Ford's Area 51
pic 1.JPG

Showing color outside
pic 2.JPG

Starting to look more like a vehicle now with temporary wheels to move it around.
pic 3.JPG

pic 4.JPG

New wheels and tires added with some of the windows and lights.
pic 5.jpg

Dash is in.
pic 6.jpg

View from the back.
pic 7.jpg

Exterior is complete.
pic 10.jpg

Interior is getting final touches this week and will post pictures of that after I pick it up.

• 5Like
  • 4Mother of God
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 11 users

Siliconemelons

I love all the different wheels during the process.

Hope it works out well for you! I just bought a van ;-)

• 1Like

Burns

View attachment 529592

c8 Have a ceramic brake option or think this guy just painted them? Aftermarket wheels, supposed to be a 2020 3LT, 11k miles
No idea if it has magride or front lift which I care about more than z51 to just be a GT daily. That and how absurd the dealership asking price may be, they seem to still go stupid high sporadically vs other dealerships are up to 5-10k off msrp now as the market cools.
On the brake calipers, It could be paint or powder coating.

It's not toooo hard to pull the calipers off if you follow the numerous videos on how to do it, then bleed the breaks afterward. Can even do it all solo, but it would be a bit easier is you had someone of 10 minutes to sit in the car and pump the brakes.

I painted mine, but even the best rated paint for heat will start to peal after about 5-10 years, so probably best to send them off to get powder coated if you plan to keep it longer than that.

Edit: Picture of my wheel a year or two after painting them (not big rim guy and don't much like chrome):
2024-05-21 13.01.07  1ff57d2c546a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 529592

No ceramics on that model. Not a fan of those aftermarket wheels. I wouldn't consider any mark-up on a used non-Z06 to be reasonable. The hype has come and gone. I'd expect 10-20% under for a clean one.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
No ceramics on that model. Not a fan of those aftermarket wheels. I wouldn't consider any mark-up on a used non-Z06 to be reasonable. The hype has come and gone. I'd expect 10-20% under for a clean one.
Well and it's dark metallic grey which still falls under your most hated colors.

Just was local so was excited for a second, if I don't find a jag to move on a c8 is probably wiser next year as the market keeps dropping from economy, plus amount they are pumping out, etc

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Saw the new Z for the first time in my small town, guy came out and let me take it for a drive. Was quite modded (Tune, Exhaust, Intake, upgraded suspension, STS) for how new it was and I was quite impressed. I still wouldn't buy one but it was nice. Also really bizarre to me he let a stranger drive something with that much HP.

Somewhat related

1716508534808.png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users