Computer Issues

Kiki

Log Wizard
It can't find that in DNS. can you do the IP of the router instead? \\192.168.1.1 or whatever

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Let us know what you find out. Ive had a similar problem for about a year now and have just been working around it.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
nope that didn't work. I can ping it fine with CMD, I can connect using the IP of the router in lieu of it's name but it still gives me the same generic ass error when I try to map. I only bought this one to connect to the damn drive. /sigh

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well I thought maybe it needed an update , and sure enough there are several in queue in Windows update. They keep failing and then blue screened for fun.

2nd one just showed up and it's doing the same damn thing.

My wife asked me why I was fixing computers I didn't even build, and you know what? She's right! I bought these from Amazon and back they go! Problem solved.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

So I should have known that the Memory going bad was a sign of something deeper. Today, when I start the PC, all the LED's come on - but I get no display what so ever. I reseated the memory, trying every single slot, individually, with just a single stick of ram - no change. I took off the 4090 completely, and just tried to use onboard video - nothing. No display output on that avenue, either. I have a blinking orange light, that is supposed to mean a DRAM issue? Also, when the PC shuts off, Im unsure of it - but I never noticed it before - but there there is a red light on the 4090 that blinks twice when it shuts down and thats.. supposed to be related to unstable power?

With the build so new, I have absolutely nothing to test bench any of this stuff with. Im about to sacrifice my ego to the Gods and take it to a computer repair place.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($493.65 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($308.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1979.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li O11 Vision ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Lian Li Uni Fan SL-Infinity 61.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Lian Li Uni Fan SL-Infinity 61.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($84.00 @ iBUYPOWER)
Case Fan: Lian Li Uni Fan SL-Infinity 61.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($84.00 @ iBUYPOWER)
Total: $3810.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-16 14:00 EDT-0400

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I'm setting up a new Windows 11 PC and I cannot get my router attached storage to mount as a network drive.

Oddly typing the address in as a run command works perfectly '\\readyshare'
but it will not connect when I type it in the map network drive. It's throwing up a generic network error code.
I've attached a pic of the screen. Window on the left is me typing straight in the run command, and I confirmed it is actually working (streamed a video)
Right side is the map screen.

If anyone has an idea , I am all ears. I gave up for the night before I take my all purpose toaster fixing sledge hammer to it.

mmc_7sWmw3kIa3.jpg

mmc_IBFbgjxmcd.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I should have known that the Memory going bad was a sign of something deeper. Today, when I start the PC, all the LED's come on - but I get no display what so ever. I reseated the memory, trying every single slot, individually, with just a single stick of ram - no change. I took off the 4090 completely, and just tried to use onboard video - nothing. No display output on that avenue, either. I have a blinking orange light, that is supposed to mean a DRAM issue? Also, when the PC shuts off, Im unsure of it - but I never noticed it before - but there there is a red light on the 4090 that blinks twice when it shuts down and thats.. supposed to be related to unstable power?

With the build so new, I have absolutely nothing to test bench any of this stuff with. Im about to sacrifice my ego to the Gods and take it to a computer repair place.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($493.65 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($308.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1979.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li O11 Vision ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Lian Li Uni Fan SL-Infinity 61.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3810.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-16 14:00 EDT-0400

Just make sure you very specifically spell out your components and ask them if they can bench test those components. I recently went through this and did take it to a shop, because like you, I didn't have spare compatible components to test with.

Well after days of back and forth with them they finally admitted the components were too "new" so they couldn't properly isolate anything.

At the end of the day I just did "bare bones" testing by removing everything, even testing with on board gpu until I narrowed it down to either the MB or CPU. I had to reorder the same exact ones again from Amazon and it turned out to be the CPU (Intel i5 13600k). I packaged up the new mobo and just sent it back (thanks Amazon!) And did a refund RMA with the bad cpu.

The whole ordeal took like a month and a half from troubleshooting to fully fixed and refunded.

Dont think I'll be building anymore custom PCs after having done it for the past ~20 years.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Just make sure you very specifically spell out your components and ask them if they can bench test those components. I recently went through this and did take it to a shop, because like you, I didn't have spare compatible components to test with.

Well after days of back and forth with them they finally admitted the components were too "new" so they couldn't properly isolate anything.

At the end of the day I just did "bare bones" testing by removing everything, even testing with on board gpu until I narrowed it down to either the MB or CPU. I had to reorder the same exact ones again from Amazon and it turned out to be the CPU (Intel i5 13600k). I packaged up the new mobo and just sent it back (thanks Amazon!) And did a refund RMA with the bad cpu.

The whole ordeal took like a month and a half from troubleshooting to fully fixed and refunded.

Dont think I'll be building anymore custom PCs after having done it for the past ~20 years.
They already got back to me. The brand new ram, which was an identical copy of the memory I shipped off for the RMA - is bad. They put new Ram in and it starts fine. I just went and picked it up, he like immediately found the problem. Amazon sent the ram to me in a bag, and .. for what its worth, it started right up so I never paid more attention to it. But the Ram has a dent across both sticks in the same spot that I didnt even notice. Almost as if ...
images

Just having really shitty luck with Ram lately. ffs.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the reply, that's one I didn't try but I just checked and that is not configured on the PC I'm on now and it connected to the same network drive just fine.

Anyhow read down a little further and it doesn't matter anyhow, I sent them both back yesterday afternoon, I wanted that stink out of my house. I was so damn aggravated it was untrue. Never fails, easy as hell to build a PC but you'll pull all your hair out and say all your cuss words trying to get the software to act right.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
They already got back to me. The brand new ram, which was an identical copy of the memory I shipped off for the RMA - is bad. They put new Ram in and it starts fine. I just went and picked it up, he like immediately found the problem. Amazon sent the ram to me in a bag, and .. for what its worth, it started right up so I never paid more attention to it. But the Ram has a dent across both sticks in the same spot that I didnt even notice. Almost as if ...
images

Just having really shitty luck with Ram lately. ffs.
That sucks bro. Only had G.Skill go bad one time and that was 2-3 years after I built the PC. This was a way back so it was overclocked like hell. Not sure if that made it bad or not but G.Skill had a lifetime warranty and replaced it w/o issue.

Daidraco

That sucks bro. Only had G.Skill go bad one time and that was 2-3 years after I built the PC. This was a way back so it was overclocked like hell. Not sure if that made it bad or not but G.Skill had a lifetime warranty and replaced it w/o issue.
Dropping it off at Kohl's and getting a credit to my Amazon account. I guess thats something. I only wish I could spend it on Newegg instead and get it shipped in a fkn box. lol Ill just get my supplements with the credit, I guess.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dropping it off at Kohl's and getting a credit to my Amazon account. I guess thats something. I only wish I could spend it on Newegg instead and get it shipped in a fkn box. lol Ill just get my supplements with the credit, I guess.
yea bad shit just happens, i bought a wd 850x for my ps5 and it didn't recognize for shit

i then put in a junk (slow) nvme to "test it out" formatted and recognized just fine

couldn't get the wd to recognize in any of my computer nvme slots either

• 1Like