HDTVs

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Currently looking at replacing my Samsung Q90T 65" with a Samsung S90C 77".

Thoughts?

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Currently looking at replacing my Samsung Q90T 65" with a Samsung S90C 77".

Thoughts?

Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, so if you stream a lot of content that supports DV then the Samsung will use HDR10 instead. Debatable if there's any tangible difference, but I like seeing the DV logo when I start a show/movie. I also bought an nvidia shield so that I can download and stream DV supported content via Plex with my LG G3.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, so if you stream a lot of content that supports DV then the Samsung will use HDR10 instead. Debatable if there's any tangible difference, but I like seeing the DV logo when I start a show/movie. I also bought an nvidia shield so that I can download and stream DV supported content via Plex with my LG G3.

I stream all my content from a NAS using Plex, but I’m not familiar with Dolby Vision.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I stream all my content from a NAS using Plex, but I’m not familiar with Dolby Vision.

It's dolbys brand of HDR. If you're downloading 4k torrents of movies/TV then they'll most likely be encoded in HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. If your TV doesn't support DV then DV files will have a purple/green tint

I think most Plex devices won't stream DV also except for the Nvidia shield

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Whelp, the dreaded day has arrived.

This weekend I was watching my LG B8 OLED and noticed a bright green stuck pixel about 1/3rd the way down and 1/4 of the way in from the top left side of the panel. I ran the pixel refresh twice to no avail.

Anyone had this situation that they were able to fix out of warranty?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
LG OLEDs have a screen burn-in issue after a while, which is unfortunate because other than that they're the best TVs on the market.

My LG C6 from 2016 has had significant screen burn-in issues for a few years now and at this point it gets all kinds of "smearing" on it whenever something is staying in one spot for too long. My mom has it and I can always tell if she's been watching MSNBC or one of those other bullshit networks a lot because their logo/chyron will be faintly visible onscreen.

Was hoping my LG C1 from 2021 wouldn't have the same issue, but as of 3 years in, there's a super-faint outline of things after they're no longer onscreen. Usually just bright white things, like a word in solid bright white might faintly continue to appear for a few seconds after it's no longer onscreen. Generally have to let it sit for a few minutes for this to happen. So game title screens are the main culprit. It's just the beginning of it, but my C6 did the same thing, so I can expect the C1 to start having some burn-in as well.

Just a notice to people. 3 years is a pretty long time to have zero issues so that's cool, but if you're like me and get new TVs every 5-6 years, expect to start seeing some burn-in halfway through the life of an LG OLED. Might only be the C models, I don't know. I've heard G are more sophisticated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Picked up a Roku 65” Pro Series QLED today. My old Samsung 65” in the family living was getting squirrelly, switching inputs randomly, constantly blacking out, and other minor annoyances. Bought it back when Bioshock Infinite came out so it has lasted a while. Still looks good just goes screwy. And I always hated that breakout box.

We just needed something easy, middle of the road for kids shows and the 1 hour a night we get to sit down and watch something in peace. And we already used the Roku dongle exclusively since we dropped cable, so going native seemed like a good option.

So far it looks pretty good. I mean for $1,000 it looks better than my old TV. Interface is faster than the dongle. Rtings hasn’t published their review yet, was going to wait, but threw caution to the wind.

Oh and eARC works… never could get it to work on the old TV.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
LG OLEDs have a screen burn-in issue after a while, which is unfortunate because other than that they're the best TVs on the market.

My LG C6 from 2016 has had significant screen burn-in issues for a few years now and at this point it gets all kinds of "smearing" on it whenever something is staying in one spot for too long. My mom has it and I can always tell if she's been watching MSNBC or one of those other bullshit networks a lot because their logo/chyron will be faintly visible onscreen.

Was hoping my LG C1 from 2021 wouldn't have the same issue, but as of 3 years in, there's a super-faint outline of things after they're no longer onscreen. Usually just bright white things, like a word in solid bright white might faintly continue to appear for a few seconds after it's no longer onscreen. Generally have to let it sit for a few minutes for this to happen. So game title screens are the main culprit. It's just the beginning of it, but my C6 did the same thing, so I can expect the C1 to start having some burn-in as well.

Just a notice to people. 3 years is a pretty long time to have zero issues so that's cool, but if you're like me and get new TVs every 5-6 years, expect to start seeing some burn-in halfway through the life of an LG OLED. Might only be the C models, I don't know. I've heard G are more sophisticated.
Seeing some faint burn in on my C1 also after 3 years. Had a good run and still looks good but if you catch just the right color background it really stands out =/ It may or may not be hot bar outlines from FFXIV /cough.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seeing some faint burn in on my C1 also after 3 years. Had a good run and still looks good but if you catch just the right color background it really stands out =/ It may or may not be hot bar outlines from FFXIV /cough.
Not related, really - but when I came back to Virginia.. in 2009?ish? I stayed with my parents for a bit and put a Plasma TV up on the wall while I was there. Gorgeous Samsung 70" with all the bells and whistles of the time. I was there this past weekend cause the HVAC was fked up at my place, and I turned that TV on. While you're watching a show or anything, its completely fine. But when the screen goes black for a commercial or something, holy fuck.. the burn in. Shit was so sad it was funny. Just huge blotches of reddish tint, everywhere. Looked like complete shit. But no one ever uses that room, so idgaf. lol

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have any experience with QLED vs OLED? About to make a new living room tv purchase for the first time in about 15 years. So much bullshit out there on the general webs- hoping someone here knows tvs.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Anyone have any experience with QLED vs OLED? About to make a new living room tv purchase for the first time in about 15 years. So much bullshit out there on the general webs- hoping someone here knows tvs.

OLED every time if you want the best picture quality

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
QD-OLED is not there yet as a technology and will take another couple iterations. QLED is simply zero burn-in risk for less vibrancy than OLED. Even when using the TV as a monitor QLED mileage varies by year released and not simply the model tier.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
QD-OLED is not there yet as a technology and will take another couple iterations. QLED is simply zero burn-in risk for less vibrancy than OLED. Even when using the TV as a monitor QLED mileage varies by year released and not simply the model tier.

So QLED has a lower lifespan than OLED?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I just bought a 77in LG C4 and I have no idea how to get it into 144hz with game optimizer on. I have 144 clicked to on but says I'm still at 120hz. I use the tv as my pc gaming monitor. I have the pc plugged into my avr. Do I need to plug it directly into the tv?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I just bought a 77in LG C4 and I have no idea how to get it into 144hz with game optimizer on. I have 144 clicked to on but says I'm still at 120hz. I use the tv as my pc gaming monitor. I have the pc plugged into my avr. Do I need to plug it directly into the tv?

HDMI 2.1 can only support 120hz at 4k I believe.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Bummer, that sucks.
Actually I guess it's only rated for it but can go to 144. It's supposed to be where you get the VRR settings? But you might have to plug it into directly so it recognizes it as a PC.