Parent Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Blaze and the Monster Machines.

They actually teach useful shit. I remember my dad being shocked when my two year old told him how combustion works to move pistons.

Edit: Also, Storybots
Both solid shows, Storybots can be pretty funny and has some pretty good cameos as well.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Numberblocks was another good one for like age 3 and under.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Just got this email from my son's middle school. There is no Testing Tip.png. This is the second such attempt to distribute tips this weekend. What a pack of fuckwits.

1714962592443.png

• 1Solidarity

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Just got this email from my son's middle school. There is no Testing Tip.png. This is the second such attempt to distribute tips this weekend. What a pack of fuckwits.

View attachment 527711

Discovered similar fuckwitdom with the registration for my exchange student.

"Please submit evidence of vaccination through the portal."
"I already did. Please look again."
*no apologies, response, or acknowledgement*

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Shortest version I can give:
My daughter will be 18 this year, my
mom has spent maybe a week total with her and angry about it. She refuses to fly and hates to drive long distances so was always up to me visit. Instead of listening she pulls the I was a bad mother card when I try and explain why and why I don’t call more often. (In short I live in Texas and she in Florida) Recently I stopped calling all together due to her repeatedly ignoring a simple request. She never calls me and her husband only calls when having computer issues. The simple request was don’t bring up my brother who I hate and yet that was all she would do…swear it felt like it was on purpose.
She will be 65 this year and has throat cancer(still smokes couple packs a day and no treatment)so she will be dead soon.

TLDR: Mom dying and is shitty to be around. Do I make a large effort for what little time we have left or do I start moving on now and risk regret?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
mom has spent maybe a week total with her and angry about it. She refuses to fly and hates to drive long distances so was always up to me visit. Instead of listening she pulls the I was a bad mother card when I try and explain why and why I don’t call more often. (In short I live in Texas and she in Florida) Recently I stopped calling all together due to her repeatedly ignoring a simple request. She never calls me and her husband only calls when having computer issues. The simple request was don’t bring up my brother who I hate and yet that was all she would do…swear it felt like it was on purpose.
She will be 65 this year and has throat cancer(still smokes couple packs a day and no treatment)so she will be dead soon.

TLDR: Mom dying and is shitty to be around. Do I make a large effort for what little time we have left or do I start moving on now and risk regret?

Of all the problems you have, it's that she brings up your brother sometimes in conversation (who you don't like) and doesn't communicate well overall?

Lmao that's like the weakest family breakup story ever.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Unless you hate your mom, put on your big boy panties and spend time with her before the end. You won't risk regret and you'll fill her last days with the pleasure of being around someone she loves.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider

I think just based on this cliff notes version of your relationship that doing nothing would leave you with regret. So, I say make more of an effort (go visit, try and call more, whatever) but have some clear lines in your own mind that when crossed you can say to yourself "Fuck this, I tried" and can feel better about leaving things as they are.

I know deep down we both know people don't change and that she's probably not going to have some epiphany and at some point you'll say to yourself "I fucking knew it", but that's kind of the point. The difference between imagining how things would play out vs actually letting them happen can help alleviate some of that regret in the future. And hey, maybe if you go in with an open mind, and find a way to let some things not get to you as much, things might be pretty good. Who the hell knows.

• 3Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Of all the problems you have, it's that she brings up your brother sometimes in conversation (who you don't like) and doesn't communicate well overall?

Lmao that's like the weakest family breakup story ever.
No thats the short of it, the part I talked about being the last straw. As far my brother goes He is a black hole of misery and destruction. I don’t “dislike” him he is a monster that needs to be put down.

How would you feel if you asked anyone to just not do one thing and then thats all they do?

I realized I could write on a book on how fucked up my childhood was and yall would still tell me to make an effort so I will think on this more tonight.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No thats the short of it, the part I talked about being the last straw. As far my brother goes He is a black hole of misery and destruction. I don’t “dislike” him he is a monster that needs to be put down.

How would you feel if you asked anyone to just not do one thing and then thats all they do?

I realized I could write on a book on how fucked up my childhood was and yall would still tell me to make an effort so I will think on this more tonight.
I get this. My childhood was pretty bad due to poor decision after poor decision from my mom. I rarely visit and rarely call anymore. She mentions it sometimes but I tell her the road goes both ways, she’s only visited three times total since I moved away 25 years ago. I’ve visited hundreds in that time. I’m just not all that interested anymore, I get tired of being the one expected to make all the effort while the complainers make zero.

If she was dying of cancer I’d go visit for her benefit, but if she was doing something I asked her not to I’d tell her change the subject or I’m leaving. That’s then her decision and if she doesn’t listen it’s on her when I leave, not me.

• 3Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Hey I'm not saying your brother isn't a bad egg, but all you've said is basically your mother is a bad communicator and doesn't like to travel. If that's it, kinda pretty low tier stuff to abandon your mom over. Maybe there's more.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>

Related story. My oldest sisters high school friend had brain cancer. Not the treat it with radiation and you'll be fine kind. The kind where they remove half your brain, put you on chemo, give you radiation, and then you slowly die. She wanted me to come along when she visited for emotional support, my sisters a physician but that doesn't matter much when it's someone you know. After visiting, which was like a horror show, my sisters only comments were I don't know why I thought I should visit, she never treated me like a friend. She slept with my boyfriend our senior year and wrecked graduation for me. So I asked if she really wished she hasn't visited. After thinking a bit she was glad she did. She didn't elaborate but I think it's easy enough to figure out.

If it was me I'd visit, not really caring or having expectations. No regrets is enough.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Don't listen to other people. You know the answer you want out of this

My parents are shitty. Complete garbage people. Not garbage like a lot of parents with substance abuse, but garbage as in they're narcissists and I have no idea why they had kids. Only one of us talks to them, and I firmly believe they do nothing but sit around all day and think up ways to fuck with us. Example -

10 years or so ago, they call my youngest sister, ask how much she has left on her student loans. She says she'd have to look it up, and asks why. My mom tells her "well, we're just redoing our will, so we'll leave you that much, your brother is out, and the rest goes to your sister."

What in the fuck? Why does that conversation need to happen? Who does that benefit? What point does that serve? They do this shit fucking constantly. My sister got married, and she refused to bring her husband to meet parents because she knew they'd do nothing but shit on him.

Anyway, the whole point of this is that for most of my adult life, family has been browbeating me into "making an effort," "giving them a chance" and all this shit. No. There's no effort. No more chances. They're fucking garbage people that do nothing but ruin everything and everyone around them. They have no relationship with my kids, and aside from me seeing my mother when my grandmother died about 3 years ago, I haven't seen either of them in 13 years, and before that it was about another dozen. And that is not going to change anytime soon. They're fucking trash who doesn't care about anyone but themselves, and I won't shed a single tear when either of them dies.

Fuck em. Don't make effort for people who won't make effort for you. Don't ever forget that the reason the world is the way it is is largely because of how fucking garbage our parent's generation is. I hope they all die alone.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users