<Silver Donator>
Glitterboyheirloom.png

3d6x10 Mega-damage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
A big ol' glob of tree sap based glue to drop on it's wings so it can't fly. might prove to be flammable sap glue too that would catch fire from a fire arrow or something too. Had to parachute in because I've been curious how your encounter is gonna play out since you mentioned it. :)
I was wrong about the date. It's in 2 weeks.

A few of us have glue bombs. That's a good idea.

We also have alcohol and have already set a troll on fire.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
A big ol' glob of tree sap based glue to drop on it's wings so it can't fly. might prove to be flammable sap glue too that would catch fire from a fire arrow or something too. Had to parachute in because I've been curious how your encounter is gonna play out since you mentioned it. :)
It did not go as planned, but we beat it.

As far as the glue bombs go, we decided not to even try because the str save was against DC11. But we had a glory paladin and when the dragon tried to fly, he used his sentinal feat to reduce it's speed to 0. The pally did most of the damage. The magic user (can't remember wtf class he is) fireballed the shit out of the dragon.

I got my wall built to hide behind. It worked well until the dragon burrowed under the ground and came up on our side of it. I forgot to reserve my movement, otherwise I could have run to the other side. I did not get a chance to pick up the wall and drop it on the dragon.

I did get my half dragon dick up the dragon's ass, but I never got to attack from the inside. The pally went down and I had to get him back up. The only non touch healing spells I had available used a bonus action. That meant I couldn't command my dick to attack. Then I went down. In hindsight, I think the dickbone would have attacked on its own while I was down. I thought the enchantment had dropped since I died, but they told me I wasn't dead yet. The dragon was very nearly dead, so they decided to keep attacking instead of trying to get me up. The paladin had one spell slot left by this point and had already used up his lay on hands.

I tried to land bane but the bastard kept saving. The closest I got was one time he rolled a 16 against my DC15.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry after first contact with a dragon .... because we are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. Or something like that.

But the good thing is I have some terrific ideas for other boss monsters. I really think dropping 2000 lbs on something will be fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Screenshot_20240529_181548_Chrome.jpg

Using this image for a surprise unlockable dragon battle in tomorrow's session

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
The DC20 Kickstarter is going live in another hour for anyone interested. Pretty sure this is going to replace 5th edition for me moving forward. Just does a lot right!

(I can't seem to inert a direct link, enjoy your copy paste link I guess)
Link-https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedungeoncoach/dc20?ref=clipboard-prelaunch

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The DC20 Kickstarter is going live in another hour for anyone interested. Pretty sure this is going to replace 5th edition for me moving forward. Just does a lot right!

Link-https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedungeoncoach/dc20?ref=clipboard-prelaunch
I've been a long-time fan of the Dungeon Coach and his channel. I have his original houserules hardback (which I mined for quite a few great ideas) and plan to buy the new book, but I'm 99% sure I'm not going to replace my massively expanded 5e system with DC20.

Stock 5e is just too simple, but the frame leaves a lot of room to season it to taste.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

I think I'm sticking with Shadowdark going forward but I'll check it out.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've been a long-time fan of the Dungeon Coach and his channel. I have his original houserules hardback (which I mined for quite a few great ideas) and plan to buy the new book, but I'm 99% sure I'm not going to replace my massively expanded 5e system with DC20.

Stock 5e is just too simple, but the frame leaves a lot of room to season it to taste.
What's supposed to be the big difference with this Kickstarter and 5e? You probably know more about d&d than anybody else on the forum, and I have no early idea what this is supposed to be.

I guess the point is I trust your opinion about it.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Sounds fairly different.

1000004757.jpg

You have 4 Action Points that you can spend on a wide variety of actions in Combat. Everyone has more options, and Combat is more dynamic and fluid! Veteran players love the tactics of Action Points and new players find it easy to learn.

Example Turn (in the image above): You spend 1 Action Point to run into Combat! While running in you spend a 2nd to cast a Spell on your Weapon, then a 3rd to ATTACK! You now have 1 Action Point left, what do you want to do with it? Attack again? Help an Ally? Dodge? The choice is YOURS!

Reactions in DC20: You can spend Action Points even outside of your turn! You can protect your allies from enemy attacks, initiate Spell Duels against enemy spellcasters where your magics collide mid air, help and inspire your allies, or even catch projectiles out of the air (if you're a Monk)! These Reactions keep Players engaged throughout Combat empowering them to interject in dynamic ways!

Dynamic Choices: If you repeat the same Actions on your turn you gain stacking Disadvantage. Conversely, you can spend Action Points to gain Advantage on Checks you make! This keeps Player turns unique and also gives Players the ability to really go ALL IN on things that are important to them! This could be for mechanical reasons (like you really need to grapple a scout before they alert the enemy) or roleplay reasons (you really need to succeed on a check to remember details from a conversation in your past).

• 1Barf

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Using a point power system for melee and casters might allow them to actually bring parity between the two.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's supposed to be the big difference with this Kickstarter and 5e? You probably know more about d&d than anybody else on the forum, and I have no early idea what this is supposed to be.

I guess the point is I trust your opinion about it.
In 100% transparency, I haven't read his entire ruleset, but what I have read looks like he's done something similar to what I've done in that he's collected a ton of optional content and codified it into his own d20 system. It still looks and feels like D&D, but thus far it appears to be a mish-mash of components from previous editions of D&D rolled in to one comprehensive system.

He's also included some of the more interesting rules from other systems (Pathfinder, etc). For example - the action point system is straight out of PF 2E.

Fundamentally, I like what he's done, but I feel that he's drifted too far from the bones of 5e. Also, his 'innovations' don't require learning/using an entirely new system in order to make use of them. In fact, you can easily introduce his mechanics into 5e due to the modularity of 5e. And that modularity is the primary reason why I haven't abandoned it for a system that is more in-depth. Where 5e falls short, I can easily create systems and mechanics to address my needs.

There might be a market for his game, but I am highly skeptical. That said, I recognize that I am not a typical DM and also understand that there are a lot of people that just want to play the game instead of feeling forced to also take on the role of unpaid game dev. The OGL fiasco inspired a ton of people develop their own 'D&D' system, but the truth is that ALL (except maaaaaybe one) of them are going to completely fail.

Critical Role/Daggerheart:
Absolute trash. The only people going to play this faggotry are mentally-ill, die-hard critters and maybe the theater kids who are at the table to take turns vomiting character monologues instead of actually playing the game.

MCDM/Currently nameless-RPG:
4e with a new paint job. This system won't be released for literally 2+ years, but when it comes out I have no doubt it will be beautiful, slick, well-produced, and will likely have a few amazing systems/mechanics, but it's still going to be too similar to 4e and when people recognize it for what it is, support is going to crater. That said, it has the best chance of success, but I don't think it will survive after the fervor of the sycophants wear off. It'll come and go like Arcadia magazine. Also, no attack roll is full-retard. Though, to be fair, the no attack roll commentary did inspire me to think a lot more about 'unfun' situations and inspired me to brainstorm some solutions.

Kobold Press/Tales of the Valiant:
Boring and offers absolutely nothing different enough to persuade people to switch systems. It only exists because KP thought they could capitalize on the hate for WotC after the OGL debacle, but the game is almost a 1:1 clone with SRD content gutted or renamed. It's D&D without the ampersand and smaller art budget. I have a ton of KP material and while they can make good stuff (and sometimes do), it's getting more and more infrequent as they fill the developer quotas with more joggers/feminists/they-thems.

Dungeon Coach/D20:
Most innovative and interesting of the bunch, but it's also too different for normies to adopt en masse. I think it's a decent system and has a lot to like, but it doesn't (and won't) have the reach to be a widespread success. Also, as I previously said, you can easily introduce mechanics from his system into your 5e game.

I'm aware of at least 10 more systems in development by various other creators (Bob World Builder, Indestructoboy-faggot, etc.), but none of them are worth talking about.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Using a point power system for melee and casters might allow them to actually bring parity between the two.
For several years now I've been using a system that allows martials to spend Hit Dice to power combat maneuvers. Kinda like Battlemaster Fighters, but much more robust.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard

DC20 already over half a million on 20,000 goal
In all honesty, if I had a regular game group I would be backing this and switching to it. Fuck WoTC and their inclusive fag loving bullshit.
God Damn I hate that company.

• 3Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Sounds fairly different.

View attachment 531538

For example - the action point system is straight out of PF 2E.

How do reactions work? Lets say you roll a nat 20 on initiative and you're going first. Your choices are:
1. Use all 4 of your action points, in which case you cannot make a reaction.
2. Save some action points just in case and you potentially don't get to use them at all that round.

That honestly sounds terrible. I must be missing something.

I would be willing to try it, but all I can find around here are 5e and 3.5e games. I guess I do see quite a bit of pathfinder too. One of these days I should try it out. But I'm more interested in trying 3.5E and then maybe talking someone into DMing an old school AD&D game.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
How do reactions work? Lets say you roll a nat 20 on initiative and you're going first. Your choices are:
2. Save some action points just in case and you potentially don't get to use them at all that round.

I would be willing to try it, but all I can find around here are 5e and 3.5e games. I guess I do see quite a bit of pathfinder too. One of these days I should try it out. But I'm more interested in trying 3.5E and then maybe talking someone into DMing an old school AD&D game.

If you use the same action twice, you get disadvantage. This discourages pumping all of your action points into attacks and you'll probably end up having one left over.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
If you use the same action twice, you get disadvantage. This discourages pumping all of your action points into attacks and you'll probably end up having one left over.
maybe I'm too much of a min maxxer, but even an attack at disadvantage is better than wasting the action point.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The classes have a lot more built-in reactions, etc. so you're highly unlikely to end up wasting points round to round - but it can happen.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
You gain all of your action points at the end of your turn, not the beginning. You take your turn, end it, and regain all four action points. So you could potentially take four reactions and basically not get your next turn if you wanted. You would be better off doing something like an opportunity attack with one reaction, and say you have some ability to protect a friend and cause disadvantage on an attack role against them or something, you could do that as well. Then when your turn came around you would still have two actions left over to move and attack or whatever.

He had about 10 YouTube D&D content creators do full reviews yesterday, if you type DC20 into YouTube right now more than likely a creator you like has done a review. Watch like a 15 minute review. Honestly I really had no interest in switching systems, but I watched a video he put out a few months ago going over 20ish changes that his game makes over how D&D 5E works, and every single one of them sounded way better to me. So then I paid $0.99 to download his alpha players handbook, read the whole thing in an hour or so (it's probably only 20 to 30% complete), and was pretty much sold. So yeah, definitely don't need to back it or anything but fuck it, the guys clearly putting a bunch of work into it and I like everything he's doing, I can toss him a few bucks.

I haven't run the game yet but I've watched enough videos and read the book so I can probably answer any specific questions anyone has.

• 3Like