2013 Oscar Nominations

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
watching Flight now, its alright. kinda reminds me of Leaving Las Vegas. its making want a goddamned drink and i barely ever drink anymore.

-edit
finished it. it was all around ok. i wouldnt say its oscar worthy, but then again nothing in 2012 really was. the phrase oscar worthy is becoming less and less meaningful every year. basically it comes down to who hasnt had an oscar in a while (or at all) and which studio is lobbying the hardest for their star to get the nod. denzel did a good job. john goodman was fucking great and they did the right thing by keeping him in small doses because a whole movie of that shit would have gotten on my nerves. the realest moments were when he showed up at his ex's place and at the end when he gets a visit from his son. i liked that part a lot. i wish there had been more moments like that.

a better more recent denzel movie was Unstoppable where he is a train engineer and has to stop a runaway train. i fucking loved that movie even though probably nobody here has seen it.

spronk

FPS noob
hahaha
rrr_img_8327.jpg

rrr_img_8328.jpg

rest of em:
http://imgur.com/a/8hTHw

Szlia

i never even heard of "beasts of the southern wild" (but now that it's been nominated i think i'll try and see it. has anyone here seen it? it is worth seeing?)
fat12 and Wombat saw it and seem to have enjoyed it. Ham saw it and gave it a 6/10 feeling nobody misses out by not seeing it. I saw it and while I respect its occasional beauty and its raw energy, it left me 'narratively' unsatisfied. I should add that one of my friends saw it and, while we did not discuss it in depth, he was extremely, and I meanextremely, enthusiastic about it.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
I haven't seen the movie, but Araysar and a fair number of liberals are butt hurt about it because they think it glorifies torture.
The main character could be replaced by a mannequin with a red wig and you wouldn't notice, the structure and pacing of it are horribly stretched past the breaking point, the terrorists are so faceless they don't work as antagonists, the Seal Team Six raid is bland as shit without any tension at all, and just because something is "realistic" that doesn't an enjoyable or artistically superior movie make.

When Jennifer Ehle's accent work is the most interesting thing about your movie...you probably fucked up...

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
haven't seen Ted, but from what I heard its basically a live action Family Guy
It's a terrible movie. GF wants loser BF to grow into a man and get rid of X. Seen it a million times, but because X = RL Teddy Ruxpin voiced by Peter Griffin, everyone loves it. The only reason to watch it is for the Flash Gordon love. And the very last line of the movie. That was funny.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So glad to see Beast of the Southern get all these nominations. Pissed me off that a lot of other awards snubbed them despite it being better than 3/4ths the other nominated films...
i found this description for it.
Plot: Hushpuppy, an intrepid six-year-old girl, lives with her father, Wink, in the Bathtub, a southern Delta community at the edge of the world. Wink's tough love prepares her for the unraveling of the universe; for a time when he's no longer there to protect her. When Wink contracts a mysterious illness, nature flies out of whack, temperatures rise, and the ice caps melt, unleashing an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs. With the waters rising, the aurochs coming, and Wink's health fading, Hushpuppy goes in search of her lost mother.
this is worth seeing?

spronk

FPS noob
its the trifecta of oscar nominees: young black girl in a plot that makes no sense but you are called racist/mainstream if you say its retarded. it won't win the oscar though, the father would have to be white and an alcoholic.

Szlia

You need to turn the stupid down at least two notches or you will force me to defend a movie I did not like that much!

Btw another friend of mind saw it and loved it. For him it's a kind of idealistic love letter to cinema. A bunch of guys with no money, gathering a bunch of people who are not actors to tell a story that is so violently poetic, so raw and so free that it joyously tears apart the canons of film narration.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Screenshotted>
Do we really have to debate the career of Seth Macfarland in the Oscar thread?

I haven't seen the movie, but Araysar and a fair number of liberals are butt hurt about it because they think it glorifies torture.
It doesn't glorify torture but the movie gives a false legitimization of it. I think that's an important distinction. There is an insinuation (but I don't think they actually state it) that torture eventually lead to a name of a person who was connected to a family of the courier who was used to track down Bin Laden. Outside of the movie, it has been stated multiple times that torture produces no results.

My gripe with this movie has little to do with torture, I'll place that one at the feet of the CIA who are worse than the people they tortured.

My gripe with this movie has to do with bad pacing, lack of memorable moments and just plain boredom. If you are making a 30 minute spec ops raid seem boring as shit, you really dropped the ball.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Screenshotted>
It's a terrible movie. GF wants loser BF to grow into a man and get rid of X. Seen it a million times, but because X = RL Teddy Ruxpin voiced by Peter Griffin, everyone loves it. The only reason to watch it is for the Flash Gordon love. And the very last line of the movie. That was funny.
oddly enough, thats exactly the plotline i had in my head when i saw the 30 second trailer last year.

does mcfarlane even try anymore or does he have some sort of paint by numbers comedy generator machine?

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
oddly enough, thats exactly the plotline i had in my head when i saw the 30 second trailer last year.

does mcfarlane even try anymore or does he have some sort of paint by numbers comedy generator machine?
I believe he uses manatees. He has too much money to care or try at this point.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The popculture schtick is annoying but it wprked in Ted for the most part. Its a decent movie. Yeah flash gordon is the main reason, still its probably one of the funniest films of 2012 which isnt saying much.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Tarantino got shafted on the direction nom.
Same with Affleck who just won it at the Golden Globes, can't even get a damn Oscar nod.

I dunno about what it might mean for the actual Oscars but Django and Argo really killed Lincoln's thunder at the Golden Globes, cept for DDL. Which is totally fine, because DDL is just so crazy good at acting.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, while watching the Globes tonight I was saying the same thing. Lincoln was good, but Argo and Django were clearly better movies and if we saw the Oscars go all to Lincoln that the awards could just go fuck themselves at that point.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, while watching the Globes tonight I was saying the same thing. Lincoln was good, but Argo and Django were clearly better movies and if we saw the Oscars go all to Lincoln that the awards could just go fuck themselves at that point.
over the course of the past 5 years, the only 2 movies that have won best picture that i have agreed with were "the artist" last year and "the king's speech" the year before. other than that, it's been pretty awful. "the hurt locker" winning best picture was terrible, especially over "a serious man" and "up." and i'm still pissed that "the wrestler" wasn't even nominated a few years back, and that "crash" won over "munich."
i suppose, overall, i'm usually disappointed by which film they select for best picture. so they probably will choose "lincoln" or "zero dark thirty" this year.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im pretty sure zero dark thirty got the token female director vote and not the movie is the bestest ever vote.
i doubt she wins. they threw that shit away to her for hurt locker which had some great moments but ultimately was just an ok film.

Szlia

the token female director vote
Oh the infamous Token Female Director Vote, responsible for all these ridiculous nominations of female directors unworthy of being nominated on their directorial merits.

I remember in 1964 when Edith Evans picked the statuette... Oh! She did it on behalf of Tony Richardson. So what about these two times they nominated Carol Reed! ...Wait a second... Yep: that's a man.

This year, it's the 85th academy awards and there always have been 5 directors nominated in the best director category; that's 425 nominations. The infamous token female director vote exactly netted a grand total of 4 (FOUR) nominations: Lina Wertm?ller in 1977 (I guess she also benefited from the token italian director vote), Jane Campion in 1994, Sofia Coppola in 2004 and Kathryn Bigelow in 2010... yeah... because that's the kicker right there: Kathryn Bigelow is not nominated for the best director award this year. How awesome is the token female director vote?