(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I somehow had helix coins? Enough to buy the poison hammer
That's weird. As far as I could tell Ubi is doing their usual bullshit where they give you 300 free helix and everything besides stupid material or money packs starts at 350H. Been checking the opal vendor each day but he sold the hammer before the weekly refresh, and of course I didn't have him unlocked by then. This week's been all crap.

Edit: And speaking of weird... anyone else get a Rune of Life and something else (usually Shadow Rune) each day when you start up the game? Seems like maybe there was a bonus from the Ultimate Edition that's being redeemed over and over instead of just once?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is the common consensus that hammers are best for the hold L1 attack? What aboutbthe other hand?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Is the common consensus that hammers are best for the hold L1 attack? What aboutbthe other hand?

mc hammer GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Dagger, bearded axe, and hammer all have great L1. I like dagger the best because when you stop (usually because you ran out of stamina) you automatically jump backwards. Also, it's the most exploitable with the level 2 harpoon special.

For the other hand, this annoys me but I've always found that using the same weapon is much better than mixing two different types.

• 2Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Having a lot of fun duel wielding a 2 handed great sword and a 2 handed axe. It gives you a spin to win move holding down the LB button that is fun for trash mobs.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Having a lot of fun duel wielding a 2 handed great sword and a 2 handed axe. It gives you a spin to win move holding down the LB button that is fun for trash mobs.
it's good for higher enemies that like to block as well. none can stand against the might of the whirlwind barb

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Some 30+ hours in, I'm having a blast. :)

I completed the Story Arc for the 2 Power Level 20 zones, about to start the Power Level 55 zone. I did all the Wealth, and Artifacts in both zones. I do have a few Mysteries left in each zone, Anomaly that is bugged, a boss that was too hard when I found it, might be ok now though. Also a few Mysteries that require some stuff to be donated, or delivered to a NPC that I don't have yet.

I built Stable, Tattoo Shop, Hidden Ones, Barracks, Blacksmith, Trade Shop, Shipyard, Seer Hut(leads to some cool stuff which I'm keeping for later). Hunter and Fishing are the next ones.

Do resources(raw materials) ever respawn in raid area?

I'm at 85 or so Power Level, so unlocked a lot of the tree. Some nice stuff quality of life stuff there like Breakfall and Auto-Loot. I'll probably look online now to see the full tree and actually plan what I want to to now that I have some points to spend.

I'm torn between going Assassin which is my favorite way to play these games, or full on melee build which would be more Thematically appropriate...assassin viking just feels wrong.

Right now I am an assassin, I clear the Raids by myself by sneaking and assassinating everyone and calling for help at the end only to loot the big crates that require someone to help. :)

I found a lot of skills which is starting to make the combat feel better although I'm still mostly just using Light and Heavy attacks. Odyssey felt better in that aspect where, I was using abilities a lot more.

Games looks gorgeous on the PS5 and the load times are amazing, Fast Travel is actually fast now. :)

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Are all of the side quest mystery things some kind of weird sex roleplay stuff? I've only started 3 of them so far and they were all that way. I literally restarted the PS4 last night after running into some roleplaying lady in a tower that sounded like a screeching harpy. I could still hear her voice from 150m away and figured the sound was bugged.

• 2Worf

Vorph

They aren't all weird sex roleplay stuff, but I haven't seen one yet that wasn't terrible writing or a cringy attempt at "humor" (usually both). I'm not interested in a game turning into a parody of itself so I just skip all the mysteries that have the 'world event' icon now.

The one where two brothers are fighting over the profits from barley and the "correct" solution is to burn down the silo and both their houses and they're all happy even though they have nothing now was the last straw.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
They aren't all weird sex roleplay stuff, but I haven't seen one yet that wasn't terrible writing or a cringy attempt at "humor" (usually both). I'm not interested in a game turning into a parody of itself so I just skip all the mysteries that have the 'world event' icon now.
That's what I've been doing now, too. I'm not a trophy hunter so I could care less about that or 100% a game. Any other reason to worry about skipping relics and mysteries? Also, I'm colorblind as hell and can't tell the difference between mysteries and artifacts.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

That's what I've been doing now, too. I'm not a trophy hunter so I could care less about that or 100% a game. Any other reason to worry about skipping relics and mysteries? Also, I'm colorblind as hell and can't tell the difference between mysteries and artifacts.
Artifacts are: tattoo designs, Rigsogur fragments (not sure what happens when you get them all), treasure maps (also not sure if the treasures are lootable without the map, but I assume not), roman artifacts (haven't built museum yet, but I assume these are just for silver), and cursed areas (xp only?). I tend to do them all since they don't really take any time, other than when you run into a particularly annoying tattoo page.

Mysteries are mostly just for xp, but there's a few that are mini-boss fights with armor or weapon rewards. Aside from world events, I think they're all worth doing.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I am Viking. If Odin desires that I chase trinkets of failed nations, he will understand if I wait until there is no Saxon blood left to spill.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Artifacts are: tattoo designs, Rigsogur fragments (not sure what happens when you get them all), treasure maps (also not sure if the treasures are lootable without the map, but I assume not), roman artifacts (haven't built museum yet, but I assume these are just for silver), and cursed areas (xp only?). I tend to do them all since they don't really take any time, other than when you run into a particularly annoying tattoo page.

Mysteries are mostly just for xp, but there's a few that are mini-boss fights with armor or weapon rewards. Aside from world events, I think they're all worth doing.
I think I got a tattoo for the first museum turn in, so I assume further turn ins provide something similar.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I just built museum, it gives you decorations for your village when you turn in 5. They seem pretty good so far, but no big deal

Vorph

Just had an assassination contract daily task me with 'killing' one of the straw dummies in the settlement......

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Tip: Since running along rooftops chasing tattoo patterns is about the gayest thing is this game - use Blinding Rush before you get close enough to trigger the chase and the paper doesn't move when you approach. Edit: Also, you can use Incendiary Powder (bow ability) on breakable walls instead of trying to find oil barrels.

I've just wrapped up Oxenefordscire (power 90) and I'm at power 250. If you complete-as-you-go you will vastly outlevel the game. Like a Destiny or Anthem system, Power seems to be the most meaningful stat for combat, so gear is mostly for looks and triggered abilities.

Story seems to be picking up at this point. Plot and setting is basically The Last Kingdom but with the usual ancient mystical shit woven throughout and a less nuanced portrayal of King Alfred. It's enjoyable, but then I'm already a fan of the time period.

Just had an assassination contract daily task me with 'killing' one of the straw dummies in the settlement......

This happened to me too. Maybe a safety mechanism in case the daily fails to spawn a target in the world? Surprisingly mindful from Ubisoft.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity