2023-2024 College Football. And then there were 4

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like Pete Carroll is on the short list for the UW job. I would be okay with this, but it seems like it would be a short term solution due to his age.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
usa network GIF by Suits

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The NIL has forever changed college football.

I still don't think it will have a major impact on any of the larger programs, as the cost of a Lamborghini is peanuts compared to the money that is thrown around.

With a 12 team playoff, and now the ability to lose a game or 2 and it not matter in the grand scheme of things, the regular season is mostly irrelevant now.

Just like college basketball, most people never watch a single game until March Madness. College football went from the fan base glued to their seats seeing if a powerhouse can be knocked out, to where most won't care.

Same 10 teams or so will constantly be in the top 12 anyways, so what does it matter?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I hope the Bears just ignore him and say nothing. Will be funny to watch him play chicken with the draft.

IMG_4513.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
The NIL has forever changed college football.

I still don't think it will have a major impact on any of the larger programs, as the cost of a Lamborghini is peanuts compared to the money that is thrown around.

With a 12 team playoff, and now the ability to lose a game or 2 and it not matter in the grand scheme of things, the regular season is mostly irrelevant now.

Just like college basketball, most people never watch a single game until March Madness. College football went from the fan base glued to their seats seeing if a powerhouse can be knocked out, to where most won't care.

Same 10 teams or so will constantly be in the top 12 anyways, so what does it matter?
I’m hesitant to think NIL and the portal are some seismic shift. I think teams that rely heavily on the portal will not have sustained success, the same for teams that offer unproven high school kids 7 figures before they play a down of CFB.

I think both will be best used to plug holes and retain players currently on the team.

These things will shorten the career of coaches though, and the better X & Os coaches will be more inclined to find NFL jobs.

Fadaar

That guy
I’m hesitant to think NIL and the portal are some seismic shift. I think teams that rely heavily on the portal will not have sustained success, the same for teams that offer unproven high school kids 7 figures before they play a down of CFB.

I think both will be best used to plug holes and retain players currently on the team.

These things will shorten the career of coaches though, and the better X & Os coaches will be more inclined to find NFL jobs.

Transfer portal helps that second tier of teams below the perennial national championship contenders (Alabama, Ohio State, etc) most IMO. Teams that are always good like Oklahoma can now get the players who signed with the biggest dicks on the block but didn't win the starting job in their first or second year. The top tier in CFB will always be out of reach unless schools get lucky with a diamond in the rough recruit but the top quarter or so should be much more competitive.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Transfer portal helps that second tier of teams below the perennial national championship contenders (Alabama, Ohio State, etc) most IMO. Teams that are always good like Oklahoma can now get the players who signed with the biggest dicks on the block but didn't win the starting job in their first or second year. The top tier in CFB will always be out of reach unless schools get lucky with a diamond in the rough recruit but the top quarter or so should be much more competitive.

I don't disagree with it having more impact for lower tier teams. I just doubt it'll help them as much as the talking heads are saying. I expect schools that "go all in" on the transfer portal to end up more like USC, Buffs, Ole Miss, or FSU from this year, than being able to make a realistic run at a championship.

And to be fair, we don't have enough historical data yet to really know what to expect.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So we got Jedd Fisch as our new HC. I would be lying if I said I went #3 in my pants over this hire, but I wasn't consulted on th decision. He has my support and I hope it goes well, positive thoughts and platitudes etc

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Well it’s not like he had a season of more than 1 game to play. Dude is straight up Mr. Glass. Can’t wait for something to blow out on his first play and he gets a 10th season.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
It is official. The abortion of a post-season that was the CFP is going to get a massive make-over. Now we can just argue seeding rather than who should get in.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Fadaar

That guy
can't wait for the people with jamming devices scandals to pop up

i kid i kid

slowly bringing it in line with the NFL, just gotta get rid of the time stopping on first down and 1 foot rule