38 Studios

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am more curious who will buy and what they they end up paying for the IP. Though not a expert, but it would seem the longer RI sits on the IP the less its worth.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Will anyone ever buy it? What would be the point? The entire value of the IP is a single console game that seems to have garnered as much praise as ridicule. I doubt they would even have the legal right to say "brought to you from the minds of RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane!"

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
For some reason, I kept thinking about 38S with kickstar... oh well, I know I shouldn't go that way

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Will anyone ever buy it? What would be the point? The entire value of the IP is a single console game that seems to have garnered as much praise as ridicule. I doubt they would even have the legal right to say "brought to you from the minds of RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane!"
At the bare minimum I can see some interest in just the art assets.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Supposedly Amalur 2 was in development when 38 Studios shut down, so I could see EA having a little interest. Though, they also have Dragon Age 3 in development, so do they really need two fantasy RPG franchises?

There's definitely interest in Amalur from several parties, and there is value in the IP. The problem however is Rhode Island thinks that they are going to get WAY more for it than its actually worth, which is not a lot... and that value keeps going down the longer they sit on it.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
In a market where the retail publisher of KoA needs 5 million to break even? Yeah, the million sounds impressive indeed.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Three million, and the only time that number was given was by Rhode Island's governor, so who knows how accurate it really was?

OneofOne

KoA sold over a million copies. That has value.
The entire value of the IP is a single console game that seems to have garnered as much praise as ridicule.
Sure, I'd pay a couple grand for the IP just to pop out some shitty 10 day dev time "expansions" to the game to scoop as much from the suckers as I could. I'm talking about REAL value - the kind RI would give a shit about. The IP is worthless in the scheme of things.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Three millionand regardless of whatever ridiculous budget was laid out that required a brand new IP to clear three million in sales (according to the governor) doesn't diminish what should have been a success story. But we all know budgeting right wasn't in the 38 Studios portfolio.

Any new IP that canclear a milliondamn sure has value.

OneofOne

I disagree, but we'll see if and when it sells eh? If I'm wrong you're welcome to come back and tell me so. Hell, I'll even avatar bet on it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I disagree, but we'll see if and when it sells eh? If I'm wrong you're welcome to come back and tell me so. Hell, I'll even avatar bet on it.
I guess I should rephrase what I said. I'm not sure if anything will come of the IP and honestly, I don't really care at this point. It had the potential to grow into something big and scoffing off more than a million in sales seems ridiculous considering how many bombastic failures the videogame market sees. I actually enjoyed Reckoning but it was janky as hell (funny considering all the polish talk Schilling pushed down people's throat) and with some refinements, a sequel could have further solidified Amalur. A lot of that has changed now. I'm no expert with this; considering all of the turmoil and drama that's latched on to the series, it's present day value could be shit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I enjoyed a lot about KoA when it came to crafting and finding gear and making completely OP builds. But the actual game was a string of MMORPG solo quest hubs. That shit was awful.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed a lot about KoA when it came to crafting and finding gear and making completely OP builds. But the actual game was a string of MMORPG solo quest hubs. That shit was awful.
Getting OP is pretty easy in Reckoning and even on hard the game was a breeze. The shotgun-like bow skill you can get destroyed just about anything. The MMO quest hub shit killed any desire to consider going through the game again.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
You really need this explained to you? Fucking dolt.

Ok, fine.

See, most of the time when a famous athlete, who happens to be African American, tries to launch a business venture, its usually a rap label, and almost all of the time, that label fails miserably. But see, the only one that loses money is the athlete. I guess it takes to white guy to bankrupt a whole state though.