3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Nice! Great looking print, you've got your settings nailed in!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
After weeks of tests and calibrations I've almost got it perfected. 24 hour print, carbon fiber. Mobo mounting plate for the pc case I'm designing.
Andy Samberg Flip Flops GIF

The gap between your 1st and 2nd toes makes me think you 3d print and wear flip-flops too. More pics of the case, plix :)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Andy Samberg Flip Flops GIF

The gap between your 1st and 2nd toes makes me think you 3d print and wear flip-flops too. More pics of the case, plix :)

I actually don't even wear or own a pair lol.

I am waiting on a few parts to show up so I can design some brackets and I have to pull out my video card and get some measurements before I can continue designing the case. I'll post more pictures as they come off the printer.

For the short term, here is a new top bracket for my Cerberus X to help get all the heat out of the top of the case while I work on this one. I'm not sure why the pattern came out worse on this one, I have a feeling it's something the slicer decided to do or I don't have my Z hop perfect yet.

20211121_194025.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I actually don't even wear or own a pair lol.

I am waiting on a few parts to show up so I can design some brackets and I have to pull out my video card and get some measurements before I can continue designing the case. I'll post more pictures as they come off the printer.

For the short term, here is a new top bracket for my Cerberus X to help get all the heat out of the top of the case while I work on this one. I'm not sure why the pattern came out worse on this one, I have a feeling it's something the slicer decided to do or I don't have my Z hop perfect yet.

View attachment 383777
You could try turning ironing on if that is a concern. The top of my prints look like it’s a molded part just due to ironing.

Hekotat

You could try turning ironing on if that is a concern. The top of my prints look like it’s a molded part just due to ironing.

I have it enabled, it looks like it skipped a spot then dragged the tip across it later. Unsure why it worked fine on the large print but weird things on more intricate prints. I assume it's a sequence of operation issue where the software is determining the fastest route and skipping common sense areas. We had the same issue with our routers when I worked at a CNC company.

I'll keep messing with settings and see what I can find.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have it enabled, it looks like it skipped a spot then dragged the tip across it later. Unsure why it worked fine on the large print but weird things on more intricate prints. I assume it's a sequence of operation issue where the software is determining the fastest route and skipping common sense areas. We had the same issue with our routers when I worked at a CNC company.

I'll keep messing with settings and see what I can find.
I know for me the ironing is only a good solution on smaller parts. I’m guessing something that large the ironing would suck for me, due to bed unevenness. I have a cheapo Ender 3. Agree that a lot of the code seems random sometimes, it reminds me of the original Roomba patterns lol. Prusa seems to have that kind of shit figured out, I’d like to switch over to them some day, just haven’t set the time aside. You can use their software on any printer I believe, it’s just a slicer like Cura but they put a lot more common sense type shit into it.

I really want the Prusa XL they just announced. Having 16 zones for the bed is fucking awesome and probably will solve a lot of the leveling and hotspot problems. I have a friend I got into printing who is absolutely obsessed with it now. He has four printers, at least one roll of every single color/material Prusa sells, think he has around $3k in filament.

Anyways he preordered this thing with all five heads. He will probably add the unannounced attachments to his order as well. His cost is at $3500 so far. It does look amazing.

• 1Like

Hekotat

I know for me the ironing is only a good solution on smaller parts. I’m guessing something that large the ironing would suck for me, due to bed unevenness. I have a cheapo Ender 3. Agree that a lot of the code seems random sometimes, it reminds me of the original Roomba patterns lol. Prusa seems to have that kind of shit figured out, I’d like to switch over to them some day, just haven’t set the time aside. You can use their software on any printer I believe, it’s just a slicer like Cura but they put a lot more common sense type shit into it.

I really want the Prusa XL they just announced. Having 16 zones for the bed is fucking awesome and probably will solve a lot of the leveling and hotspot problems. I have a friend I got into printing who is absolutely obsessed with it now. He has four printers, at least one roll of every single color/material Prusa sells, think he has around $3k in filament.

Anyways he preordered this thing with all five heads. He will probably add the unannounced attachments to his order as well. His cost is at $3500 so far. It does look amazing.

I'm really upset about this, lol. I wanted a Prusa but they didn't have the bed size I needed, had I known this was coming I would have waited. I don't really need the multiple heads, I just wanted the build quality and volume. Maybe I'll get one in a year or so.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really upset about this, lol. I wanted a Prusa but they didn't have the bed size I needed, had I known this was coming I would have waited. I don't really need the multiple heads, I just wanted the build quality and volume. Maybe I'll get one in a year or so.
Yeah they were supposed to do it like a year ago but parts delays made them keep pushing it. My friend was very close to pulling the trigger on something else cause they just kept pushing it with no speculation date at all.

Hekotat

I've got almost all the internal pieces printed for the case then I can move on to the external/larger pieces. Problem is I can't get the same filament anymore and it's on back-order, so I now have to dial in this new filament before I can start. I've been printing all the small and internal pieces that I could.

I just need to finish modeling the PSU standoff/bracket and the feet and I'll be done with that phase of the process. Case is nothing incredible, just a better airflowing version of the Ghost.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What 3d printers are you kids using these days?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Don't bother, he's just going to Google "best most expensive 3d printer" and then make a post saying he already has 3 of them but was hoping there was something better out.

• 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Don't bother, he's just going to Google "best most expensive 3d printer" and then make a post saying he already has 3 of them but was hoping there was something better out.
OOF. The timing on this bro! Projection much?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have an ender 3 and an elegoo mars pro. Good friend of mine has a Saturn, Prusa mini, Prusa mk3, and a Prusa XL on preorder. If he ends up not using the mk3 anymore once the XL arrives I’ll probably buy it from him and retire the ender 3. I’d love to have the Prusa but don’t print enough to really justify it to myself, even though I do print prototypes for work on it off and on.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Week 2 of dialing in this new filament since I can't get the original stuff anywhere until next year. This is the worst part of owning a 3D printer, bed leveling is #1 if you have a manual system.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Week 2 of dialing in this new filament since I can't get the original stuff anywhere until next year. This is the worst part of owning a 3D printer, bed leveling is #1 if you have a manual system.
This is the sign of turning into an old man. When we start subjecting ourselves to this type of shit "for fun"/as a hobby.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Why don’t you get an auto leveler? They’re cheap and easy to install.

That’s something I’ve never really had an issue with, I just check the level every so often, mine doesn’t move much. There’s also clamps you can print to keep them in place better. I have a friend that won’t print without one after installing one.

That said I wouldn’t mind one of the systems that auto levels and compensates for any unevenness, like the Prusa has. The prints that come off those are just flawless.